• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quack, quack, quack! The chocdoc attends her medical school reunions

Kerry Beal

And none too soon I would say.   A little more information on each of the dishes when you have time, please. They are definitely a feast for the eyes unlike the buffets. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Finally!

IMG_3224.JPG

Nice! Pretty sure it would have been the goat enchiladas for me...

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

In not so sure on the Cinnamon Crepes.

the curried goat looks interesting

not so sure on raisin-okra chutney.

but what for sure :

the Quacks  were desperate for some real tongue tinglers  

no calamari I see ....

Edited by rotuts (log)

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

In not so sure on the Cinnamon Crepes.

The cinnamon should play nicely with the goat and salsa negra. Sounds tasty to me anyway.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

fair enough  

I think the Cinnamon was added as its The Morning Brunchy Meal

not a complaint

how ever , Quacks being Quacks   

they did not seem to go for it.

this is not in anyway a Quack-Quack complement 

in Quack  training , you learn very early to Shovel the Food in, as quickly as you can 

there might be some Scut to deal with  ( north of the border ) : Toot Sweet

just saying.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm not the slightest bit hungry - but in the interest of nostalgia I had to stop here for a mocha almond fudge sundae!

I adore the boomerang countertop/tabletop! I'd almost love to design a retro kitchen around that design/colour. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

fair enough  

I think the Cinnamon was added as its The Morning Brunchy Meal

not a complaint

how ever , Quacks being Quacks   

they did not seem to go for it.

this is not in anyway a Quack-Quack complement 

in Quack  training , you learn very early to Shovel the Food in, as quickly as you can 

there might be some Scut to deal with  ( north of the border ) : Toot Sweet

just saying.    

True that - apparently some still do.

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

fifth group :  anything free from a drug rep.

this is almost always Pizza.

Not always true – I have had some fabulous drug dinners. Perhaps we should get a drug rep to represent our next reunion.

Edited by Kerry Beal
duplication (log)
  • Like 1

Indeed.    i meant in The Hospital setting.

dinners are another mater :

I once was invited to a 4 day conference at a place called The Breakers.  sponsored in-full by a Medical Device Company.  Soup to Nuts. Town Car to and from the FLA airport .

I decided to do a small prospective study with only the Index   ( me )  I only had Champagne for Fluid Therapy    Its true that the AM doses had some Fresh

squeezed OJ in them , but as little as possible . it was a  4 day study.

Felt just like Churchill must have felt for most of WWII .

decided not to expand the study.

best Sushi  , rack of Lamb   etc Ive ever had.

the Device in question was C*ap  BTW .

• Like 1

That sort of thing has greatly decreased in the past few years.  Too many extravagances. I think it is for the best, in general.

RE WW2 heroes. I understand that Monty had ringing in his ears all thru the war due t o all the quinine he got via gin and tonic

• Like 2

yes it has.  

I completely agree.

I took what i knew was a rare opportunity to Advance Science.

after all it was FEB  in MA and snowing , and the weather predicted for The Breakers was " Balmy "

• Like 1

Two nights in the toronto intercontinental - port tasting - really good food - tickets to 'Stomp'. Spouses included. The drug in question was taken off the market for associated deaths. 

Those days are gone for sure - and rightly so - I'm not sure that my prescribing practices were really influenced though because as a short term locum I didn't initiate a lot of meds.

• Like 1

They spend the dinner money on places like support groups now - my mom's cancer support group a few times a year has a meal sponsored by a drug rep, including the annual Christmas party. I guess getting patients asking for drugs by name is the next best thing to trying to bribe the doctors?

(Alas, I don't think much of the place they always have the Christmas party. For the price I think they could do much better - it's an Italian cafe type place so it's basically just pizza and some pasta also with cheese in the sauce, and maybe a salad. There isn't a lot of variety and if you have any kind of diet restrictions you're out of luck unless you order something else and pay yourself off the normal menu. Which I find particularly absurd given salad is usually the only vegetable option and yet people with my mom's type of cancer are generally recommended to stay away from uncooked vegetables that can't be peeled or scrubbed. Like, they can't do a pan of some kind of sautéed vegetables?)

• Like 2

On 10/2/2016 at 6:00 AM, Kerry Beal said:

It was us - no one to blame but ourselves! There are about 5 guys in the class who have always been the organizers - they are clearly not foodies (or drinkies apparently). I took it upon myself this year to get the very old, not very up to date list of my classmates - do a little detective work - and track down as many of them as I could to make sure they knew about the reunion to ensure they came this year. In other years very few people actually knew about it so attendance has been poor.

My eG connections proved useful tracking down two classmates who had married and moved to the states - I called both their practices in New Hampshire and discovered that they no longer practiced there and their staff wouldn't give me forwarding numbers but did mention they had moved to Utah. I then googled and found out they had purchased a property in Park City - but again couldn't get a work or home phone number - so I got @chocolot to drop by their address and to put a note in their mailbox. 

I did a little eG recruiting last night (anyone who thought the food was as abominable as I did was a likely candidate). We shall watch for one of my classmates who has a farm in Michigan with merino sheep and milk goats - who makes cheese and goat's milk soap in his spare time.

So did your Utahns make it?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

1 hour ago, Chocolot said:

So did your Utahns make it?

Yes indeed they did - and apparently didn't even notice the letter had no stamp!

• Like 1