• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quack, quack, quack! The chocdoc attends her medical school reunions

Kerry Beal

Arrived in London Ontario around 4 pm - had to get the bedding and pillows changed to non feather first. Bed is about 6 feet off the ground - who decided that was a good idea?

I had made reservations for 10 at Toboggan - a brewery with small plates.  

IMG_3164.JPG

no campari - asked barkeep to mix bulliet bourbon, sweet vermouth and 1/2 an ounce grand marnier.

• Like 7

I looked at the menu and there are certainly some interesting choices.  I'd love to share the food but I'd love to share the gossip more!  

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Doesn't look like they are catering to any kind of sophisticated taste. Our bar up in Manitoulin puts that to shame I think.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

Cath guys do that all the time....What sort of movie?  

He's been involved with 3 so far - executive producer in a couple as I understand it. They look kind of art film like to me. 

He's also been doing comedy - and had his first Yuk Yuks stand up gig a few weeks back. Two guys from the class now doing comedy - the other also does inspirational talks. 

• Like 3

The talk was very inspirational - surprising given the topic. The food - perhaps not so inspirational.

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

These cupcakes appear to be a reunion staple - chocolate cupcake with purple icing - the Western University colour. 

Some folks are off to the football game - I'm going to go for a little walk around downtown - the really excellent cooking store that London used to have closed - but there is a passable one not far from here.

• Like 5

Let's review

Politely 

for now 

KB and the Lunch Ladies   

do indeed 

know how to find 

a Fine Spread 

Just Saying   

Kudos in the general GTA area

shall we review a bit more ?

I have not seen  Montreal Hot Smoked Meat

in the General GTA  ????

Hot smoked meat montreal

just saying

Im sure Schwartz :

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com

now   Not in the GTA ?

O.o

• Like 1

Next reunion - I'm organizing the food! 

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

On the other hand - the Tachycardia bonbons were a big hit!

• Like 9

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

Who funded the soirée ?  If it was the school, I'd reconsider my donations in light of the disrespect. 

It was us - no one to blame but ourselves! There are about 5 guys in the class who have always been the organizers - they are clearly not foodies (or drinkies apparently). I took it upon myself this year to get the very old, not very up to date list of my classmates - do a little detective work - and track down as many of them as I could to make sure they knew about the reunion to ensure they came this year. In other years very few people actually knew about it so attendance has been poor.

My eG connections proved useful tracking down two classmates who had married and moved to the states - I called both their practices in New Hampshire and discovered that they no longer practiced there and their staff wouldn't give me forwarding numbers but did mention they had moved to Utah. I then googled and found out they had purchased a property in Park City - but again couldn't get a work or home phone number - so I got @chocolot to drop by their address and to put a note in their mailbox. 

I did a little eG recruiting last night (anyone who thought the food was as abominable as I did was a likely candidate). We shall watch for one of my classmates who has a farm in Michigan with merino sheep and milk goats - who makes cheese and goat's milk soap in his spare time.

• Like 11

Wow. I was so waiting for some amazing food to show up at dinner last evening for you and could not believe my eyes when it turned out to be another buffet. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Wow. I was so waiting for some amazing food to show up at dinner last evening for you and could not believe my eyes when it turned out to be another buffet. 

Yeah - I will be needing eG's help in 5 years to figure out the food for the next reunion. And to help design the appropriate bonbon for the event. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yeah - I will be needing eG's help in 5 years to figure out the food for the next reunion. And to help design the appropriate bonbon for the event. 

My husband commented a number of years ago that Fernet Branca reminded him of old Vicks Formula 44. I'm not sure which would be better to use in your bonbon.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

4 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

My husband commented a number of years ago that Fernet Branca reminded him of old Vicks Formula 44. I'm not sure which would be better to use in your bonbon.

Suspect they aren't ready for Fernat yet! Nuts and fruits perhaps?

• Like 1