• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cookbooks of fall 2016

Anna N

10 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

I've received both Simple and Taste and Technique, thank you Amazon Prime.  I'm more drawn to the recipes in Taste and Technique based on a brief read through.  T and T has very detailed instructions which is comforting to me because when I try a new recipe I want to replicate it exactly.  The descriptions in T&T are perfect for that.   Although Simple had a lot of recipes with pomegranates and I have lots of them right now.  I'm going to be torn until I can cook something.  I think there's a lot I can do in CSO. further reporting to follow.

Although initially I was drawn to T&T now that I have Simple I know which one calls out!  But I still intend to cook from T&T and will be anxious to see what you attempt. Must be agony to be mid reno!  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

And yet another list. This one's from Eat Your Books. Did I mention that I've had Dorie's Cookies on order from the indie bookstore for months now? Only another 3 weeks till it's released and they can sell it to me! (I'm also really intrigued by the idea behind My Two Souths, comparing, contrasting, and combining the south of India with the southern United States. Of course, it doesn't hurt that these are both cuisines I enjoy.)

I will not look.  I will not look. I will not look. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

And yet another list. This one's from Eat Your Books. Did I mention that I've had Dorie's Cookies on order from the indie bookstore for months now? Only another 3 weeks till it's released and they can sell it to me! (I'm also really intrigued by the idea behind My Two Souths, comparing, contrasting, and combining the south of India with the southern United States. Of course, it doesn't hurt that these are both cuisines I enjoy.)

I have Dorie's Cookiesir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=054761484 on order as well and am also interested in My Two Southsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=076245783.   Sigh....so many cookbooks!

• Like 1

Uh, oh.  I've managed to go nearly a year without acquiring any cookbooks but Dorie's Cookies sounds tempting. It's in my Amazon cart but I haven't yet pushed the button.  Will someone please talk me out of it?

1 hour ago, Cyberider said:

Uh, oh.  I've managed to go nearly a year without acquiring any cookbooks but Dorie's Cookies sounds tempting. It's in my Amazon cart but I haven't yet pushed the button.  Will someone please talk me out of it?

You are barking up the wrong tree we are enablers not interventionists.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Cyberider said:

Cookies are fattening and they don't go with cocktails!:P

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Believe it or not, they are Black & White Diamond COCKTAIL Cookies xD!  

Nice little shortbread cookies.  I posted about them over here in the Trader Joes thread.

Yes, I was given a box of these and begged not to be tempted again!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

You are barking up the wrong tree we are enablers not interventionists.

I don't understand anyone who doesn't consider a bookshelf for cookbooks to be a vital part of a kitchen-area in a home. (I am willing to allow for the cookbooks to be kept elsewhere, like in a den, for more leisurely reading, but no cookbooks at all anywhere is highly suspicious.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ok,so does said cookbook have a recipe for cocktail 'cookies' (tongue firmly planted in cheek):B

Unfortunately, I have not seen an advance copy of the book so I can't answer that.

My guess is there's probably not a named "cocktail cookie" recipe but in the interest of enabling, once I get the book, I volunteer to recommend some excellent cocktail-cookie pairings - sounds like an entertaining research project :D!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2016 at 1:12 PM, Okanagancook said:

Cookies are fattening and they don't go with cocktails!:P

Well, my copy of Dorie's Cookies arrived today and guess what?  There's a whole chapter titled "Cocktail Cookies" :P:P!  

Looks great!  I started a thread for the cookbook and included more comments over there.

• Like 3

On 04/10/2016 at 11:27 AM, Anna N said:

Ok. I have to stop looking at these lists!  

Edited to add:

I am surprised by the similarity in title, concept and execution of A-Z from the River Cottage people and Felicity Cloake's The A-Z of Eating released this past spring. I own the latter but the Cottage River book is HUGE, not offered as a Kindle version, and is $70+ on Amazon.ca. 

I have stuck it on my wish list but only as a reminder to give it a once-over if I ever see a copy in a bricks and mortar store. Still love to hear from anyone who has had a chance to evaluate it. 

I have just started reading the Cloake book. 

It showed up as a Kindle book for me.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

4 hours ago, nickrey said:

It showed up as a Kindle book for me.

I just checked Amazon.ca and it is now showing as a Kindle book with a release date of December 15 this year.  

My 2004 eG Blog

The LA Times has their list of fall 2016 cookbooks out.  Most have been called out in other lists, although there are a few I don't recall seeing mentioned like Nancy Silverton's Mozza at Homeir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=038535432 and Marcus Samuelsson's Red Rooster Cookbookir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=054463977.

The section includes a blurb on the state of cookbook publishing,  interviews with Dorie Greenspan and Anthony Bourdain that discuss their new releases and a piece by Evan Kleiman that mentions some of the recently published cookbooks that focus on Persian, Turkish and Uzbek cuisine:   “Taste of Persia” by Naomi Duguid, “Samarkand” by Caroline Eden and Eleanor Ford, “The Saffron Tales” by Yasmin Khan, “Persepolis” by Sally Butcher and “Turkish Delights” by John Gregory-Smith.  

Evan mentions that she is preparing a UCLA class on foods of the Silk Road - wouldn't I like to take that one :D!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The LA Times has their list of fall 2016 cookbooks out.  Most have been called out in other lists, although there are a few I don't recall seeing mentioned like Nancy Silverton's Mozza at Homeir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=038535432 and Marcus Samuelsson's Red Rooster Cookbookir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=054463977.

The section includes a blurb on the state of cookbook publishing,  interviews with Dorie Greenspan and Anthony Bourdain that discuss their new releases and a piece by Evan Kleiman that mentions some of the recently published cookbooks that focus on Persian, Turkish and Uzbek cuisine:   “Taste of Persia” by Naomi Duguid, “Samarkand” by Caroline Eden and Eleanor Ford, “The Saffron Tales” by Yasmin Khan, “Persepolis” by Sally Butcher and “Turkish Delights” by John Gregory-Smith.  

Evan mentions that she is preparing a UCLA class on foods of the Silk Road - wouldn't I like to take that one :D!

Not gonna look.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I've ordered Dorie's Cookies. I picked up All Under Heaven and Power Vegetables! I like the latter. Haven't invested enough time in the former, although I did make the pilaf.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I just gave in and ordered a copy of Classic German Baking by Luisa Weiss from my indie bookstore. (I cried on their shoulders. They understood.)

I'd hesitated to order it because I wanted to look at it first, to see if it was going to duplicate much of my library. Yesterday I was in Rochester and stopped into a Barnes & Noble (mainly to use their bathroom, as neither of the 7-Eleven locations where I stopped had a customer restroom or a Coke Slurpee available). They had a couple of copies, so I leafed through it. (They no longer have comfy chairs stationed about the store either. Boo to them!) And I drew the conclusion that it's worth buying: it has enough recipes different from others that I already have, which I could see myself making, it gives me mass measurements, it doesn't overload me on either evil raisins or the anise/licorice/fennel flavor I hate (and in many cases it specifies that if you aren't a raisin person you can omit them without a problem!), and a bunch of the recipes are ones that play right into my husband's preferred spice dessert flavor palette. And it was just plain fun to read, with headnotes for each recipe to give some historical and personal background as well as production notes. It isn't a fancy-looking book, and doesn't have a dust jacket. There are photos, although I'm more of a word person than a picture person. The notes on where to find special ingredients don't make anything sound out of range, even for me here in small-town middle of nowhere upstate NY.

I expect my copy to arrive in less than a week.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I succumbed to Power Vegetables. I have not yet tried any of the recipes but some of them do look interesting.   It is an irreverent book as are all publications from Lucky Peach.  Helps to keep me grounded.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog