• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cookbooks of fall 2016

Anna N

We seem to have more than one topic in which recently released cookbooks for fall 2016 are being discussed. rotuts posted a link to those selected by the NYT

Click

And

Here

MelissH mentions a number of them.

We also have a topics devoted to Naomi Pomeroy's Taste & Technique and our very own gfron's Acorns & Cattails.

I did not want to take the thread devoted to Taste & Technique off but did want to mention that like MelissaH I am very keen on Diana Henry's latest book: Simple. 

I am a huge fan of Diana Henry and could not resist this, her latest book. I agree with MelissaH that there are probably far more recipes in it that appeal to my way of cooking than are in Taste & Technique.  These are, of course, very different books appealing to very different audiences. If I could be simplistic I would say that Pomeroy's book is aspirational while Henry's book is inspirational.  I had to wade a long way into the Pomeroy book before I found a recipe that called out to me but the very first recipe in the Henry book, the egg and salmon donburi,  immediately made it into my must try list.

MelissaH also took home Alton Brown's new book but I've never been a fan of his. Still I may have to have a closer look.

Anyone else planning to acquire or borrow from the library of the books from the fall selection?

@Okanagancook  and @JoNorvelleWalkerhave already taken the plunge. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

I've ordered Taste and Technique and Simple in hard copy after reading The NY Times article.

I do hope you will come back and tell us what you think when you've had a chance to look at (and perhaps cook from) these two books.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Just curious - the title if this thread is The Cookbooks of Fall 2016, but the question Anna posed asked only about the selection as chosen by the NYT.  Is this topic concerned only with the NY selection?  

Not at all.   But it would be good to limit It to those books released this fall.   The NYT list was just a jumping off point.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

It may be a while before I cook anything from the books, but I will when I can. My stovetop/oven died and I'm living with the CSO, microwave, Instant Pot and BBQ.  Total kitchen remodel is in planning stages. :)

• Like 1

I went ahead and pre-ordered Deep Run Roots: Stories and Recipes from My Corner of the Southir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=031638110, due out on Oct 4.  This is a cookbook by Vivian Howard of the PBS series A Chef's Life.  Many of the flavor combinations she uses on the show interest me, I enjoy the way she explores an individual ingredient on the show and the book is similarly organized by ingredient so I decided to spring for it sight unseen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shalmanese said:

I've been devouring All Under Heaven as I'm a sucker for regional Chinese cuisine and the book definitely doesn't disappoint. Can't wait to pair it with Land of Fish and Rice next week!

Both of these are occupying a line in my Amazon.ca wishlist.  

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I went ahead and pre-ordered Deep Run Roots: Stories and Recipes from My Corner of the Southir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=031638110, due out on Oct 4.  This is a cookbook by Vivian Howard of the PBS series A Chef's Life.  Many of the flavor combinations she uses on the show interest me, I enjoy the way she explores an individual ingredient on the show and the book is similarly organized by ingredient so I decided to spring for it sight unseen. 

I had to look this book up and as I explored the book and its author I realized I have been catching snippets of the TV program on the odd Saturday morning.  I did not know the name of the show and never watched enough of it  to be enticed by the style of cooking. But I shall be very interested to hear your take.  

My 2004 eG Blog

Im also looking forward to 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316381101/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0316381101&linkCode=as2&tag=egulletcom-20&linkId=0692c7f1157a0ea5a5cad00681c5d8c1

although the Watermelon Pork ribs was posted on the PBS web site that offers free viewing of her show , Im determined to try that if I can find a watermelon tranche..

Properly authoring a Cookbook has to be a daunting task.  we've seen that here in various threads.

Im sure , as in Life , many books are Fluffed Up .

I doubt Chef Howards is.   I may not be big on collards and things like that, but I think CH is a very creative Chef.

Oh how I wish it were that simple!   I have not set foot in a bookstore for a very, very long time but that has not stopped me buying books.   Between Amazon and thrift stores… 

I am even looking at Naomi Duguid's book on Persia.  I have seen hints that it has some interesting bread recipes. 

Edited to add comment about the Persian book.  And then to fix the typo in the edit.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Oh how I wish it were that simple!   I have not set foot in a bookstore for a very, very long time but that has not stopped me buying books.   Between Amazon and thrift stores… 

I can even looking at Naomi Duguid's book on Persia.  I have seen hints that it has some interesting bread recipes. 

Edited to add comment about the Persian book.

Um, yeah. I got that one on Kindle a while ago, and am now reading through it. It's one of those books that makes me hungry just looking at the recipes, and of course the photos are gorgeous too.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

@teonzo

None appealed to me on an ownership level but there are a couple that I wouldn't mind a quick look at if I run across them.   Thank you for contributing.

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Um, yeah. I got that one on Kindle a while ago, and am now reading through it. It's one of those books that makes me hungry just looking at the recipes, and of course the photos are gorgeous too.

Are there lots of bread recipes?   Are any of them calling out to you? 

My 2004 eG Blog

I have an existing love of Iranian food, and an existing affection for Duguid's books. That one sounds dangerous. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Are there lots of bread recipes?   Are any of them calling out to you? 

I'll let you know when I get there. I have a work deadline starting to loom at the end of the month, which makes this a totally awful time to have all these wonderful new temptations cookbooks nearby!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Here's another list from Leite's Culinaria with mostly duplicates from the NYT list but a couple of different ones.  The one by Hank Shaw might appeal to @Shelby.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, rustwood said:

Ok. I have to stop looking at these lists!  

Edited to add:

I am surprised by the similarity in title, concept and execution of A-Z from the River Cottage people and Felicity Cloake's The A-Z of Eating released this past spring. I own the latter but the Cottage River book is HUGE, not offered as a Kindle version, and is $70+ on Amazon.ca. 

I have stuck it on my wish list but only as a reminder to give it a once-over if I ever see a copy in a bricks and mortar store. Still love to hear from anyone who has had a chance to evaluate it. 

I have just started reading the Cloake book. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

I've received both Simple and Taste and Technique, thank you Amazon Prime.  I'm more drawn to the recipes in Taste and Technique based on a brief read through.  T and T has very detailed instructions which is comforting to me because when I try a new recipe I want to replicate it exactly.  The descriptions in T&T are perfect for that.   Although Simple had a lot of recipes with pomegranates and I have lots of them right now.  I'm going to be torn until I can cook something.  I think there's a lot I can do in CSO. further reporting to follow.

• Like 1

And yet another list. This one's from Eat Your Books. Did I mention that I've had Dorie's Cookies on order from the indie bookstore for months now? Only another 3 weeks till it's released and they can sell it to me! (I'm also really intrigued by the idea behind My Two Souths, comparing, contrasting, and combining the south of India with the southern United States. Of course, it doesn't hurt that these are both cuisines I enjoy.)

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY