• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cookbooks of fall 2016

Anna N

My Two Souths was listed in the Oct Eat Your Books roundup that @MelissaH mentioned earlier in this thread.  I agree that it sounds interesting.  

The Sqirl Cookbook has been on a lot of lists.  I'd like to take a look at it, if I can get a chance.

The first book on that list, Victuals, is one I haven't heard of either.  

So many books.....

• Like 1

On 12/20/2016 at 0:09 PM, blue_dolphin said:

The book is called Mozza at Home but many of the dishes seem to struggle with the limitations of home kitchens, for example, the recommendation that one bake or roast items directly on the oven floor to compensate for the lack of heat in home ovens.  

Like on the coils? That sounds awful. O.o

I'll be honest, I love Mozza, the restaurant, but I'm not impressed with Silverton's cookbooks. I'm glad I didn't run out and buy Mozza at Home, I am a sucker for Californian cuisine.

On 12/23/2016 at 9:24 AM, Smokeydoke said:

What are people's thoughts on Red Rooster Cookbook? I just checked it out at the library. It's getting rave reviews. I'm curious about Obama's Short Ribs. :D

The recipe for Obama's short ribs appeared in the NYT review of the book.  

The LA Times reviewed the book more recently here and included recipes for brown butter biscuits with bird funk and chicken liver butter.  I would very much like to taste that dish but I'm not sure I want to make it myself - maybe someday my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll give it a try!

• Like 1

On 12/24/2016 at 3:10 PM, blue_dolphin said:

The LA Times reviewed the book more recently here and included recipes for brown butter biscuits with bird funk and chicken liver butter. 

I'm not sure I'd want to eat anything called "bird funk." I have no idea what it is, and it may be delicious, but I think it needs a new name!

• Like 3

The chicken liver butter sounds amazing. I have to start cooking from Red Rooster, I just have sooo many other things I want to try first! A good problem to have!

Non-sequitur: I think someone mentioned EverydayCook by Alton Brown on here and I wanted to give two-thumbs up. It might be a bit low-brow for egullet but every recipe I have tried has been fabulous. It's worth a gander.

3 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

The chicken liver butter sounds amazing. I have to start cooking from Red Rooster, I just have sooo many other things I want to try first! A good problem to have!

Non-sequitur: I think someone mentioned EverydayCook by Alton Brown on here and I wanted to give two-thumbs up. It might be a bit low-brow for egullet but every recipe I have tried has been fabulous. It's worth a gander.

If eG is high-brow I'm in the wrong place!  And I'd hate to think I've spent 13+ years in the wrong place.xD There are plenty of fans of Alton Brown here not to mention fans of Guy Fieri. We have no shame.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/20/2016 at 3:09 PM, blue_dolphin said:

.....Deep Run Roots, Taste & Technique, Lucky Peach Power Vegetables and Mozza at Home ALL include at least one recipe incorporating pickled mustard seeds - I'd say it's a trend xD!  

I think you're right about it being a trend —  Chefsteps also offered up a recipe for pickled mustard seeds not long ago.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Well that elicited a few laughs from me but not even the slightest desire to own or even look at either book.  

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I just picked up  

Institut Paul Bocuse Gastronomique: The definitive step-by-step guide to culinary excellenceir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=060063417 

from my library.  its an interesting book  but quite the dinosaur  .  Its Very Heavy .  its more or less a very nicely layer out picture book on good stock

with pictures of step-by-step Rx's

Mayonnaise is 4 pics, the last you see two hands swirling into the bowl some lemon juice.  you don't see the final -aise

Mayo.jpg

Horseradish

Horser.jpg

veal roast

VealR.jpg

so you can see the book is very old school , and Im pleased my library system has one copy.

a dinosaur for sure.   these days the entire book would be a series of YouTube Vignettes, and mighty fine ones at that.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)

@rotuts Give me old school books any day. I don't have the patience to sit through a video most of the time. Drives me crazy.  Having said that ,  a 4 photo spread to make horseradish sauce seems superfluous.

I need to check it out.

Good to hear it is well made. The exact opposite of the CIA cooking textbook I bought a few years ago. Content very good with well worked example recipes. But the book is printed on flimsy paper and bound weakly. Began to fall apart in a few weeks of light use.

Lets review One More Time :

Fr Om.jpg

The Omelette.

as ive though , its not Scrambled Eggs w Mix-ins !

just saying

I am pleased the dinosaurs have moved to Induction , and I can't quite place the Induction Unit you see above

it has two fans , and probably costs a few Bucks !  does anybody recognize it ? 

good to see they are using the Older 

http://www.matferbourgeatusa.com/black-steel

pan.

here are a few I googled :

http://heavy.com/tech/2015/10/best-induction-cooktop-cooking-reviews-amazon/

so  

a mighty fine book from my library system.

I will tell you they made a significant error putting the Omelette on that plate :

fine, and Kudos their way that its plain but fine White Ceramic.

but  it should have been either a round or oval plate or if you want corners :

the corners should always be Odd  :  a three point cornered plate appeals more than a 4

put three items on your plate  put 4 items on a similar plate  and take a look

granted your are staving , and want the 4  but your would really enjoy 2 plates of 3

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

just a few more pics :

Beef.jpg

nice   good luck finding Oxtail as we see above !

Ck.jpg

nice 

Veal.jpg

anyway you get the idea

glad my library system has one

i tried to weigh the book : > 3 kg  where my sale suggesters Err

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

@rotuts Give me old school books any day. I don't have the patience to sit through a video most of the time. Drives me crazy. 

Ditto. I'm a very fast reader, and learn better from books than from visuals. Also I have ADD, so sitting through a five-minute video of something I could read in 20 seconds is sheer, rage-inducing torture. 

Edited by chromedome
corrected error (log)
  • Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

fair enough.  however , many times in the past , when I see someone ' working in the kitchen ' that's far better than I am at it

of which there are many , I pick up little technique tips here and there that are almost impossible to describe w text.

this happens on the Much Better Cooking Shows , a classic example is  the series from the BBC  " Great British Menu "

and of course , anything showing Jacques Pepin In the Kitchen.

on the other hand , Ive never picked up anything from , say , Martha Felon.  not even a Stock tip.

o.O

• Like 3

Looks like an outstanding book. Unfortunately not available for the Kindle  and as much as I still love physical books my physical strength is not up to them.  I love the photographs of the various meat cuts which are at once clinical and aesthetically pleasing.

My 2004 eG Blog

Another one I just heard about is Soup Nights by Betty Rosbottom, published in October 2016. I got a recipe for a cauliflower soup with chorizo from the Splendid Table's email list. I love making soups, and based on the sample recipe, I wanted to check this one out. But it's apparently only available as a paper book way out of my price range, it's currently out of stock at Amazon anyway, and it isn't in either my local library system or the nearby university's library. Has anyone seen this book?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

17 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Another one I just heard about is Soup Nights by Betty Rosbottom, published in October 2016. I got a recipe for a cauliflower soup with chorizo from the Splendid Table's email list. I love making soups, and based on the sample recipe, I wanted to check this one out. But it's apparently only available as a paper book way out of my price range, it's currently out of stock at Amazon anyway, and it isn't in either my local library system or the nearby university's library. Has anyone seen this book?

Wow. On .ca it is $45  and only available as a hardcover. For a book that is little over 200 pages that is an astonishing price.  Equally amazing is that not one review makes mention of the price.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose this topic has just about run its course, but for those of you who don't receive EYB emails, here is one final list of lists:

https://www.eatyourbooks.com/blog/2017/1/30/best-selling-cookbooks-of-2016

Perhaps it is to be expected that books that books that came out in the fall might not make a big splash on a list of top selling books for the year.

• 3 weeks later...

The London Cookbook 

https://www.amazon.com/London-Cookbook-Restaurants-Hole-Wall/dp/1607748134

showed up at my library today.   I think there is a thread on this book but I can't find it.

I liked this book and many of the Rx's   the dessert section had many items Id order for sure , perhaps even make some day.

here is a selection for review purposes.   if you move the jpg to your desktop , and enlarge it there most of these examples are readable

interesting  at the amazon site there are a few selections  including Double Decker Tarte    Id order for sure my pic was too shinny to read

1.thumb.jpg.03e97407cae96d976101b03084283959.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.b2dd358c0fd06c8cf5163e6db73fcf69.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.17018c26cb096a3575524c685bebefef.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.844f1acb25982fa54e7d1a4b55faa145.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.aa7d365b7d5982142e157b995b9d1ab1.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.2064210f0d17a2ff7a555e16778ab28b.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2