• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Feet Stock question

mmille24

The end goal is Matzah ball soup, so I need to make stock. Normally, I'll just add a pound or two of chicken feet with a couple chicken carcasses. However, is there any benefit to roasting the feet prior to using them in the stock? Also, what ratio of water to bones does everyone use?

Thanks!

I have never roasted them. With described intention if you want a classic version I think you want to keep it chickeny not roasted even with the chickn itself. So classic broth including maybe 4 feet for a gallon?

Link here re only feet  n

And this topic which covers chx stock in general  and links back to basics

• Like 1

Pound or two..  wow

that would add a fair of gelatin..lip smackin thou

Why not a whole chicken...  -- most of my stocks lately have been in a pressure cooker.

Water to bones for me is just to cover, what you got, normally.

But in PC i have even added non.  Good luck..never made MB soup

Cheers Doc

Its good to have Morels

The usual rule of thumb is 2 parts water to one part bones/carcasses by weight. I guess you'd include the feet in the weight of bones. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, mmille24 said:

------------------------ is there any benefit to roasting the feet prior to using them in the stock? ----------------

Thanks!

I don't think so.

Chicken feet go through incredible torture before they get to you. Hot water, cold water, blasting, shaking, more boiling water more shaking, washing----- to remove the tough skin. There is no more flavor left when they get to the store.

dcarch.

• 1 month later...

We used to roast our duck feet before we made out duck stock. So I know they may go through a lot of processing. However, I still think it is worth roasting your bones before making a your stock.

just my 2 cents.

(We got them as by products from a foie farm, where we also got our ducks)

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice