• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acorns & Cattails

JoNorvelleWalker

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Regrettably I don't have access to a chamber sealer, just the regular ol' Food Saver.

Also, perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I've read what you wrote five or six times and I'm not getting where the sealer comes in.

This is funny because someone PMd me earlier thinking I needed to edit my comment because it didn't make sense, and I scoffed and said, "sure it does." Apparently it doesn't.

Chamber sealers can be used to leach tannins out of acorns. Open the chamber and remove any inserts/risers. Take a bowl/hotel pan or other open container and put your shelled acorns in the container. Cover the nut meat with water and put in the chamber sealer. This means the bowl will be uncovered, but still fit inside the chamber sealer. Close the sealer and let it go until you see the water start to bubble/boil. Hit cancel. Drain that water off, refill and repeat two or three times (or more depending on the tannic qualities of the acorn. Remove the bowl from the chamber sealer, drain acorns, dry and use. 

Does that clarify things?

• Like 2

Absolutely.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 9 months later...