• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Someone please talk me out of buying this

Alex

Berkel Sicer (like new!!) - $600

Just posted on our local Craigslist.

This thing is so sharp (How...sharp...is it?), it sliced the "l" right out of the title.

The seller says, "Less then a year of minimal use! Like NEW! Serious offers only."

I suspect he (?) will accept $500. It's $1160 new. I just hate passing up a great deal, although if I don't use it regularly, it wouldn't be so great. Still...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

OK, you asked for it.  How about that, if you're like me, you will seldom use it?  Or that it will hog much-more-needed counter space?  Or that you will spend more time cleaning it than actually using it?  Or that it weighs a ton?

I still delude myself that I'll use my fullsize Hobart slicer for bulk processing and then freezing foods.  Or that I'm going to find friends or relatives to jointly invest in a whole Serrano ham to slice.  Never seems to happen...  The Hobart has made friends with my cube steak machine, though... 

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Buy it. You can always put it on eBay and turn a profit. 

Hmm. That's true. Although if I really, really want a slicer for home use, I suppose I could wait for a 9" version ($675 new) to show up.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 minute ago, boilsover said:

Or that I'm going to find friends or relatives to jointly invest in a whole Serrano ham to slice.

Have you been lurking inside my brain?

7 minutes ago, boilsover said:

OK, you asked for it.  How about that, if you're like me, you will seldom use it?  Or that it will hog much-more-needed counter space?  Or that you will spend more time cleaning it than actually using it?  Or that it weighs a ton?

I still delude myself that I'll use my fullsize Hobart slicer for bulk processing and then freezing foods.  Or that I'm going to find friends or relatives to jointly invest in a whole Serrano ham to slice.  Never seems to happen...  The Hobart has made friends with my cube steak machine, though... 

a sushi filleting knife used gently works well on Serrano ham. Don't tell the guy we bought it from :) 

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Have you been lurking inside my brain?

Well, if we lived in the same city, WE could get that dreamt-of ham, and use my Hobart.

Don't get me wrong, these things are cool.  If you'd get pleasure from it, it is a good deal.  And if you're willing to expend the time to resell/ship, you can't get hurt too badly...

Edited by boilsover (log)

About 6 or 7 years ago, I bought a used Berkel from a guy on craigslist who was in the business of cleaning out abandoned storage units.  Best $200 I ever spent.  I ended up spending another $130 or so to buy a stainless work table for it to live on.  Although I only used it only a handful of times a year, it was indispensable.  Sold it for $600 last year to a guy opening a deli while getting ready for an out of state move.  I still regret it and have been shopping for one at the right price since.  Have been considering a Chinese knockoff in the $300 range - online reviews indicate that they're adequate for light deli use so it should meet my needs.   

• Like 2

On 28/09/2016 at 9:43 PM, boilsover said:

Or that I'm going to find friends or relatives to jointly invest in a whole Serrano ham to slice.  Never seems to happen... 

Why would you want to share a Serrano ham?  I think one per person is a reasonable portion :D

• Like 2

I bought a Globe slicer on Craig's list for $100 several years ago and have not looked back. It is not a thing I use every day, but when I do, there is no comparison to not having it. Corned beef sandwiches, shredded lettuce for grinders (or hoagies or whatever they are called where you live), coleslaw, zucchini ribbons for pickles, it's all made possible with the slicer. Mine is a heavy behemoth, so moving it out from storage got old in a hurry and I bought a big bread board and put it on top of the wine cooler for a permanent position in the kitchen. If there is someone in your life that may not like where it is, then take a second look, but if not, go for it! 

HC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

If you come across the red, hand-cranked Berkel prosciutto slicer, I suggest buying it just to display in your living room.

Indeed, my katsuobushi kezuriki lives next to the CD player in the living room.  The block of katsuobushi too.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Don't buy it until you've looked at this...

Best Choice Products New 10" Blade Commercial Deli Meat Cheese Food Slicer, Premium Qualityir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002SMC1Z 

I bought one and I love it.

Cons:

Very heavy (50 lbs).

Can be difficult to clean.

Unboxing revealed a few loose screws and nuts - haven't found where they might go yet.

Will spit fine shards out the back if slicing roasted meats.

Imported from Malaysia.

Pros:

Virtually silent (belt driven).

Slices as thin as you please.

Nice sliding action.

At it's essence, it's a blade, a motor and a switch.  Repairs, if any are ever needed, should be able to be made locally.

Will save you $200-$300

New, not used.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)

2 hours ago, IndyRob said:

Don't buy it until you've looked at this...

Best Choice Products New 10" Blade Commercial Deli Meat Cheese Food Slicer, Premium Qualityir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002SMC1Z 

I bought one and I love it.

Cons:

Very heavy (50 lbs).

Can be difficult to clean.

Unboxing revealed a few loose screws and nuts - haven't found where they might go yet.

Will spit fine shards out the back if slicing roasted meats.

Imported from Malaysia.

Pros:

Virtually silent (belt driven).

Slices as thin as you please.

Nice sliding action.

At it's essence, it's a blade, a motor and a switch.  Repairs, if any are ever needed, should be able to be made locally.

Will save you $200-$300

New, not used.

I came across the 12" version of that very same slicer a while back and have been eyeing it ever since I sold my Berkel.  Would you happen to know if the blade is interchangeable with any other brands (Globe, Hobart, Berkel, etc)?  Did the unit come with any documentation about ordering replacement parts?  I don't anticipate using it to the point that I'd wear out any of the components, but I'd like the comfort of knowing that the blade could be replaced if it were ever to be damaged for some reason.  Thanks.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)

@IndyRob

Also, have you used a brand name commercial slicer before?  If so, how does your machine compare in materials, fit, and finish?  Does it feel "cheap" at all or do the buttons, knobs, and sliding tray feel secure and well built?  Thanks.

40 minutes ago, fledflew said:

I came across the 12" version of that very same slicer a while back and have been eyeing it ever since I sold my Berkel.  Would you happen to know if the blade is interchangeable with any other brands (Globe, Hobart, Berkel, etc)?  Did the unit come with any documentation about ordering replacement parts?  I don't anticipate using it to the point that I'd wear out any of the components, but I'd like the comfort of knowing that the blade could be replaced if it were ever to be damaged for some reason.  Thanks.

The blade could be a weak point.  I don't know if there's a standard in this area.  But it does come with sharpeners, so you're okay for a good while as far as that goes.  The documentation was in a rather humorous form of Globish (Asian simplified English).  You should expect no support whatsoever,  That said, I did come across an Amazon review where someone got a much better response from the Best Choice.rep than I would've imagined  Also, as I pointed out, it's a motor, a switch, a belt and a blade.  Any repair place worth its salt should have no problem servicing it (short of major blade damage).

Yes, I've used a really good U.S. made deli slicer in a commercial setting,   This is very close.  The tray slides very nicely.  It's commercial quality, but Malaysian commercial quality.  It's not quite as good as what we can get, but is at least 2X better than anything Americans have produced for the home market (Chef's Choice, etc.).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I pulled the trigger on a 10-inch slicer tonight.  I used to have a 12" Berkel and have had my eye out for a knockoff 12" for some time now, but they all run $320+.  The price on the 10-inch was right.  The unit I purchased is this one:  http://www.costway.com/10-blade-commercial-meat-slicer-deli-meat-cheese-food-slicer-industrial-quality-2589.html

I received a 20% off coupon code last week ("costway20%off", if you're interested) and it ships free.  $217 total.  Looking forward to slicing again! 

Fledflew,  hope you like the slicer, it looks a lot like the 9 inch Gander mountain I just bought.  http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=754458   , though I know Gander doesn't make them, it is just the reseller.  I picked the Gander because I have an Intedge 10 inch that is just too heavy to move around,  and thought the Gander would be lighter.  The Gander is just okay, the motor is a little under powered, the fittings to attach the slider to the machine are set too far away from the blade, so the slider sits pretty far from the blade - I didn't measure, but say 1/4 inch,  and can't be adjusted closer, and the sharpener stones are at a fixed angle, but the assembly is set up so it does not reach the cutting edge - it only hits about midway through the bevel.  There are no obvious adjustments for that, though I will probably figure some work around for that, as well as the mounting of the slide.  Overall, most of the controls operate smoothly, and it is not very loud. 

i bought a commercial grade slicer when i started making bacon.

In retrospect, i wish i had never bought it.

CONS:

clean up is a complete PITA. COMPLETE PITA.

you have to disassemble the slicer with hand tools.

the blade is like a giant, heavy, circular razor blade. If you drop it, it will likely remove your foot (i ended up buying kevlar gloves)

once apart, it has lots of nooks and crannies..plan on spending some quality time cleaning...

you have to reassemble the slicer with hand tools.

PROS:

bragging rights to owning a commercial slicer

ability to select the exact thickness of the slice

when you use the slicer, expect tiny bits of food to get shot out of the slicer all over the place...it is a spinning disc after all.. now you have to clean the room/walls/floor.

given the time it takes to hand clean the slicer (and the room) your only going to end up using it when you slice enormous amounts of food...

there's a reason it's called a commercial slicer, its just not practical for home use.

i slice my bacon by hand now, and i don;'t dread doing it...

Edited by Heartsurgeon (log)
  • Like 2