• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silicone molds for casting ganache

pastryani

I have a few of those "Truffly molds", which are basically silicone molds for casting little balls of ganache.  I've tried using them but the ganache never pops out like a perfect ball (likely due to the consistency, guessing my ganaches are too soft).  Anyone have any experience with these or similar molds?  If so, what does the ratio have to be for them to cleanly pop out?

Yep I've tried freezing, but it still didn't come out as anything resembling a ball (maybe it was just a particularly soft ganache).  I have to say that with the exception of straight up chocolate, I can't imagine that anything with cream in it wouldn't leave some kind of residue.  And if there's residue, that means that each cavity needs to be cleaned out well, which almost makes it not worth having perfect little spheres.  Almost. :D

I used the ChocoFlex silicone mold - which is a two piece.  I'm sorry, but I cannot recall the formula. I do know it was the Lemongrass-Coconut ganache in Shott's Artisan chocolate book. 

After piping it into the mold, I let it set overnight. It released fine, but there was a bit of residue to clean off the mold. The advantage I see with the two piece, is that you can gently pull up one corner and check to see if the ganache releases.

I did use a Truffly made mold for a chocolate mint ganache, and that was a huge success in firming up and popping out. I'd gladly share that one with you, but, since it burned- I will have to rework it again. If I remember correctly, I used Guittard 58% to start with. But that's about all I remember right now. Wish I could be of more help. 

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: