• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What's the difference between the backstrap and the tenderloin?  Is the tenderloing a section of the backstrap?

The tenderloin is inside the body cavity near the pelvic region---it is a lot smaller than the backstrap. It's exposed to the air after you gut the deer so that's why one should take them out so they don't get dry.   The backstrap is outside of the body cavity on both sides of the spine and is much longer and wider than the tenderloin.  

Both cuts are the most coveted part of the deer.  The tenderloin is just as it says, very tender.

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

Always enjoy these blogs @Shelby - thank you!

What do you do with things like the Heart, Liver, Caul fat, etc?

Well, this year we cut them up into chunks and our wonderful outdoor cats are enjoying them immensely :).  I have a few ziplock full in the fridge and have been doling out snacks.  I sous vide the heart either last year or the year before....didn't care for it very much.  I think I posted about it in this thread somewhere???   

• Like 4

On 12/4/2019 at 3:29 PM, Shelby said:

Major tragedy a couple days ago.  My Thermapen died!  I thought it was just the batteries, but Ronnie replaced them and still no good :( .  When I open it up it says "lo" and immediately says "err".  Anyone have any ideas on if it can be fixed?  I haven't googled yet.

Seems like the batteries released some acid. After 3-4-whatever years batteries start to release acid, this causes problems with the contacts. For most cases it's not a problem since batteries need to be changed before that time, but I suppose you don't use your Thermapen for hours each day.

There are plenty of tutorials on the internet on how to clean that acid, hopefully this will solve your problem.

Teo

• Thanks 2

Teo

I was just reading Leite's Culinaria and saw the featured recipe was for Venison with Balsamic Blackberry Sauce. I really like that site, but I'm not a venison eater (just never really get exposed to it much) and can't say how good it would be. Thought I would include the link to the recipe, just in case you were interested.  🙂

What is your weather like these days? I suspect we would have heard if there was any snow  😄, but wonder how cold your temps are getting. 

I love your blogs, @Shelby

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KennethT said:

What's the difference between the backstrap and the tenderloin?  Is the tenderloing a section of the backstrap?

And do cows have a backstrap? Never seen anything in my supermarket labelled as such. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

And do cows have a backstrap? Never seen anything in my supermarket labelled as such. 

It's just the loin. When you're talking about beef, it's the "NY strip."

(ETA: In humans, it's called the "OMG, what have I done to my back this time...?")

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

They do!  The filet is the tenderloin and a KC strip has the backstrap in it.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I love your blogs,

13 hours ago, SLB said:

This is Me.  Everything about is so . . . encouraging, or something.  

Plus:  The Food.  

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

I need at least one more week of this miniblog. 

Every single one of you guys have made my day :)  Thanks to all who read here.  You guys keep me motivated.

We decided  to make burger out of the rest of the deer--we've been going through last years like crazy so need to re-stock.  There is another week of deer season plus a doe season in January so another one will probably be gotten.  I'm going to go get the bag of meat here in a bit and begin cutting and cleaning it up.  Might grind this afternoon.  I know I've shown it before, but I'll take pictures and post here of that process.

Back to yesterday:

After the dishwasher installation issues (ahem....they drove all the way to the big city to get parts and come to find out, the parts they needed were inside the dishwasher 🙃) the decision was made just to hang out here and watch football.  So, I poured a wine and started on dinner.  The guys wanted Mexican.  I rummaged around the freezer and found a piece of pork loin.  Not my fave to make enchiladas out of, but oh well.  I did that in the IP along with some chicken broth and some orange juice and cumin etc.  then mixed it with some sour cream and diced onion.  Easy peasy because I had some Hatch chile sauce made and in the freezer.  Threw some RG beans in the other IP and dinner was double easy.

thumbnail_IMG_7165.jpg.bd6cce086522585f108b6414300d9ed1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7166.jpg.fd313aa54fa42308fe49121070a83e58.jpg

Rotel cheese dip

thumbnail_IMG_7162.jpg.025ca494fea18451c5f2640f5fada9de.jpg

Oh and I also tried a new recipe for lime cilantro dressing.  A keeper

thumbnail_IMG_7167.jpg.c8039631be1819dc46712aee979cf336.jpg

Plates

thumbnail_IMG_7168.jpg.37fe4cb30a3246b6c60d751a0383f896.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7169.jpg.92e8636ac1b210e80be4a1056ac6e103.jpg

The guys were going to go out this morning before our friends flight, but the wind is blowing a zillion miles and hour and nothing will be moving around.  It's blustery, just how I like it :).

I'm going to finish my coffee and then attack some venison meat.  Be back later or tomorrow with grinding pictures :) 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Shelby said:

Of course, we are missing a key part so they are off to the big city.

How big is your "big city"? My "big city" is either Syracuse (population about 145,000) or Rochester (just over 200,000). My parents' "big city" is Montrose, CO, population about 19,000...or just a hair more than the population of where I live. Everything is relative!

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

How big is your "big city"? My "big city" is either Syracuse (population about 145,000) or Rochester (just over 200,000). My parents' "big city" is Montrose, CO, population about 19,000...or just a hair more than the population of where I live. Everything is relative!

Montrose!!  I used to live about 80 miles from there in Lake City, CO!  Montrose and Gunnison were the "big cities" to us :)

Our big city is about 400,000.

• Like 4

Our "Big City", Ottumwa, is 25,000.  My entire county is fewer than 8,500 and that includes at least 200 Amish families. My town is under 2,600.   And

that is why I love Amazon!  'Nuff said.

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Thanks for the laugh - 'the parts they needed were inside the dishwasher'

🤣

Too good.  Sounds like something I would do (which is why I am allowed to laugh at it!!).

The really bad part is that was the first thought that I had (to look inside the dishwasher) but I thought "Nah, they would have done that".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I'm back from the big city.  Had a periodontist appt.  Got my stitches out after over a month of having them!  *happy dance* and I have a little break before a next yucky appt.

So, yesterday we did the grinding.  I know I've posted about it before, but this leg of the blog seems incomplete if I don't do it again :) 

Pot of meat that I dumped into cold water in the sink--the guys did a really good job of cleaning it up so there really wasn't much for me to do.

IMG_7176.jpg.f9de63306ce2415c46ffb2ef6ed70d89.jpg

IMG_7178.JPG.0d3f082253962dfa5bc37ab0908d9a3e.JPG

Beef fat to grind with.  We have a big pork roast too.  The next deer we will grind with that.

IMG_7179.jpg.e2104e1ce1c1f29bbe010dddd758849d.jpg

First run through the grinder

IMG_7182.jpg.c07f9ebcd009865b84b26fe47b14d6ee.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg.474bf6c4fd382689c6bb58199cdd5667.jpg

Second run through

IMG_7184.jpg.ee4835cd33d466bfe10918c23a348310.jpg

Wrapped in cling wrap

IMG_7185.JPG.62ef577a28e256865520a7f4c530cebf.JPG

Then butcher paper

IMG_7186.JPG.4ea12e058b72f9f12a6cc8e7b1b6da6d.JPG

Got about 30 lbs now in the freezer

IMG_7187.JPG.0c55d88a2a32c34b39988feba8522381.JPG

I'll go ahead and post last nights dinner here since it ties in.  We're always hungry for fresh burger after we're done so I saved some and made mozzarella stuffed meatballs

IMG_7188.jpg.2d73e84007921d11f8cd8051cb48caa9.jpg

IMG_7189.JPG.79e1eb8ade0f594781ac673a1f491229.JPG

Again, thanks for keeping me company this week and I'll see you back here maybe in the spring , for sure next fall :) 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Thanks so much for coming back after your torture to take us through those last steps.  

As someone who mostly cooks for one and the owner of a smallish side-by-side fridge/freezer, the notion of 30 lbs of ANYTHING in the freezer boggles my little mind!

I love, love, love following along with every episode of this blog!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I hope Chum got some nice fresh ground meat too

Oh believe me, she did.  She got some for her and then snuck around the side of the garage and got the outside cats portion 🙄I was worried we were going to have an epic throw-up but all was well lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3