• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

We'll, darn it all, @IowaDee  I had never heard of igourmet until you mentioned it.  I am extremely likely to be spending time on that site and perhaps even drop a buck or two.:D

Well...it *is* hunting season... :P

(Whether you drop a buck or some "doe," the pun is equally bad...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

Shelby, I hope you'll show us the rest of the enchilada-making process as well as the finished results.  I still have some peeled and roasted Hatch chiles, and some tomatos. How would I get from there to enchiladas? 

I will definitely be doing the enchiladas a bit later today and will try to take step-by-step pictures :) 

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Fabulous blog so far, and you have nothing to worry about in the interesting and entertaining department. I think many of us are quite engaged in your tales. :x

I am assuming that by steaming the Hatches in the CSO you mean the steam BROIL function to get the browning. I don't think I would be the only one interested in how you did that.

I'm sending good wishes for luck on tomorrow's fishing expedition and looking forward to your report. Just make sure to remind them not to lose Chum as you send them off with breakfast.

Yes, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.  For the peppers I take the main rack in the CSO and place it like so:

IMG_3820.JPG.824e77b935c4f6adbebe5f6030bc6968.JPG

I put the peppers on and steam broil them at 500F for about 7 minutes on each side.

Chum stays in the guys back pockets at all times--it would be hard to lose her:D

8 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Yes, how is Chum? Is she helping out with things? As the cats are, I assume?  :laugh:

I love reading your blogs - or your posts in general. You have a knack for description and always make us feel warm and welcome!

I also love how you draw on so many things - your own garden, local fishing and hunting, online resources(!) and bring them together to make such interesting meals. :)

Chum is in hog heaven.  She adores going with the guys.  I cease to exist even more in her world during these stints.

Thank you for the compliments--I really need to branch out and do some different type meals for deer season but it's hard not to make my tried and true meals that I know (usually) turn out decent.

• Like 6

So, I usually make breakfast sandwiches every evening for the guys to heat up in the morning and eat or take with them.  They don't care to eat anything sweet --they are savory guys.  I decided to mix it up and make some breakfast burritos.  I saved one for me and I'm eating it right now....maybe I'm just hungry but they are reallllly good.

The ingredients:

The meat is venison breakfast sausage that we make.  Those are tater tots under the tortillas (no, I didn't make the tortillas...sigh...I am lazy).  The jar is my pickled jalapeños.  Don't skip using them...they add the perfect spice to the burrito.

IMG_3813.JPG.5429c5a75f767e5a44d4159955a25c48.JPG

59ce60620ea12_FullSizeRender46.jpg.d368d2825cf2c1511dd62c00b30363e1.jpg

IMG_3816.JPG.98a629c97229321fd8a409be06744667.JPG

And, my breakfast right now

IMG_3823.JPG.d3075d0a3c00aa9e10281845f82645ff.JPG

Backing up to dinner last night.  I was going to make a big tossed salad but then I decided that a caprese salad sounded better.....

IMG_3817.JPG.e12545524b80f9ee7356afcf236bd792.JPG

Homemade sauce (everything from the garden) and venison meatballs (the ones that have the zucchini in them that I posted about on the zucchini thread).

IMG_3818.JPG.a24f778a3a3f166c8f92109442ede2cc.JPG

And this red wine to go with

IMG_3819.JPG.d689ff835a4ac9617285fcb6978088e2.JPG

I don't care what it tastes like, I just like the label lol.

• Like 13

Lazy?  I couldn't think of a word any further from the truth to describe you. :)

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

WoW !

great food.

My coat out of the air fluffer

so Ill be showing up soon

for the Good Eats  !

Ill have to do some more googling for some Hunting Lingo :

" How's that choke ? "

see   covers everything. !

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Yes, how is Chum? Is she helping out with things? As the cats are, I assume?  :laugh:

I love reading your blogs - or your posts in general. You have a knack for description and always make us feel warm and welcome!

I also love how you draw on so many things - your own garden, local fishing and hunting, online resources(!) and bring them together to make such interesting meals. :)

Me too..your blogs are delicious...I always picture you as a grown up Laura Ingals..finessing everything Ma taught you growing up....ummm yes I loved Little House on the Prairie too ;)

Thank you for these wonderful snippits/chapters into your life :)

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

So, I usually make breakfast sandwiches every evening for the guys to heat up in the morning and eat or take with them.  They don't care to eat anything sweet --they are savory guys.  I decided to mix it up and make some breakfast burritos.  I saved one for me and I'm eating it right now....maybe I'm just hungry but they are reallllly good.

The ingredients:

The meat is venison breakfast sausage that we make.  Those are tater tots under the tortillas (no, I didn't make the tortillas...sigh...I am lazy).  The jar is my pickled jalapeños.  Don't skip using them...they add the perfect spice to the burrito.

IMG_3813.JPG.5429c5a75f767e5a44d4159955a25c48.JPG

59ce60620ea12_FullSizeRender46.jpg.d368d2825cf2c1511dd62c00b30363e1.jpg

IMG_3816.JPG.98a629c97229321fd8a409be06744667.JPG

And, my breakfast right now

IMG_3823.JPG.d3075d0a3c00aa9e10281845f82645ff.JPG

Backing up to dinner last night.  I was going to make a big tossed salad but then I decided that a caprese salad sounded better.....

IMG_3817.JPG.e12545524b80f9ee7356afcf236bd792.JPG

Homemade sauce (everything from the garden) and venison meatballs (the ones that have the zucchini in them that I posted about on the zucchini thread).

IMG_3818.JPG.a24f778a3a3f166c8f92109442ede2cc.JPG

And this red wine to go with

IMG_3819.JPG.d689ff835a4ac9617285fcb6978088e2.JPG

I don't care what it tastes like, I just like the label lol.

HAHAHAHHA we bought that wine for the exact same reason!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I bought a bottle of 19 Criminals hard chard and a bottle of their red blend at TJ's today. Haven't tried it yet but was drawn By the labels.  Am loving your blog.  Thank you so much for sharing everything.

Edited by Jacksoup
Extra letters (log)
  • Like 2

enabled by this thread I went to Tj's this AM :

59cfa3a4c755e_191.thumb.jpg.aaf26a24cf275596346a2c43f5b328af.jpg

and 

59cfa3b8eb020_192.thumb.jpg.3913f1d14d1677a37c738be45e868ea5.jpg

i have not tried it yet.

its to early even for me

I asked about the bottle mentioned above

and they said it was about 20 USD

suprise.gif.26a9e86ec0fb8223898ab0e1f37848aa.gif

and no longer carried it

mine bot. cost $ 7.99

Ill mention it in the Thj's thread later today

they did have a Chard.  at about this price , but it had oak in it

and I don't care for oak.

• Like 3

Happy Saturday!!!!

The luck just seems to be gone around here.  The guys went frog hunting --they found a zillion of them, but they were sneaky suckers and they couldn't manage to land any.  So, they went fishing at the river.  Caught one fish.

So our grand total so far is three doves and one fish xD.  

They have gone to the lake today so maybe the fish total will rise a bit.

Saturday night is always "game night"--which means I cook what ever they've managed to bring home........we might get into fist fights over the doves :P.  

If they don't catch any more fish, I'll supplement with some wonderful shrimp that I got from Pike's Place Fish Market last week.  I'm also hoping that I have some catfish from the river frozen down in the basement freezer....however, if you don't hear from me again it means that when I opened that door an avalanche of frozen foods fell on me and I cannot dig myself out.

Dinner last night started yesterday afternoon when I plucked the pork roast out of the Instant Pot.

IMG_3825.JPG.142bc98229fc5cab7593e94a3c6e976e.JPG

Here is the wonderful sauce

IMG_3826.JPG.21fa75ca00c657443c702274a39b881d.JPG

I poured this into the food processor--managing to make a huge mess because I should have done it in two batches.  Instead I got to mop the floor.

Here it is all whizzed up.

IMG_3831.JPG.966c761d68e1195aa4f830d7767757b9.JPG

Sometimes it's not quite thick enough so I have to cook it down a bit, but this time it was perfect.

I took half of the roast (froze the other half) and shredded it.   Then I added several dollops of sour cream.

IMG_3828.JPG.cb8e7ea9005ab7003cdae337a3558cdc.JPG

Lay out your tortilla...add the meat mixture, diced onions, hatch chiles and sharp cheddar

IMG_3829.JPG.8b67e73b337c65930c64b4fcf80cf569.JPG

All rolled up and ready for the oven

IMG_3830.JPG.49cd4684fb1e5e9e75f59035404e060f.JPG

Cover with lots of sauce and more cheese (somehow I missed getting a picture of that but you get my drift)

Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes and it's bubbly.

Last nights appetizers

IMG_3824.JPG.292189c200f3eb925e7bfc5b3eded964.JPG

And a big plate of enchilada goodness

IMG_3832.JPG.4c52f3972bb7f424861e0fd22d5352cd.JPG

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, kayb said:

I love 19 Crimes. Did you check the cork to see what your crime was?

You are making me want spaghetti and meatballs. Next week, maybe.

:o NO and now I am so wanting to know what it said!!!  I may have to dig through the trash in a bit......

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

enabled by this thread I went to Tj's this AM :

59cfa3a4c755e_191.thumb.jpg.aaf26a24cf275596346a2c43f5b328af.jpg

and 

59cfa3b8eb020_192.thumb.jpg.3913f1d14d1677a37c738be45e868ea5.jpg

i have not tried it yet.

its to early even for me

I asked about the bottle mentioned above

and they said it was about 20 USD

suprise.gif.26a9e86ec0fb8223898ab0e1f37848aa.gif

and no longer carried it

mine bot. cost $ 7.99

Ill mention it in the Thj's thread later today

they did have a Chard.  at about this price , but it had oak in it

and I don't care for oak.

xD  I love that you bought some.  Tell us what your cork says!

• Like 2

@Shelby   YOU are  one super-organized hunting guru!!!!   Deer season will hit here soon enough, and I can already guess the best I will muster up to feed the crowd will be jelly donuts and apple fritters from Econofoods.   And coffee. Must have coffee. 

I was re-reading the thread and noticed you made venison meatballs. Might you have a recipe you'd care to share? :D  It got me thinking about canning meatballs. I wonder if that would work?  I may have to go experiment with some beef and see what happens.  (We've got permits to take 7 deer this season, so there may be ALOT of venison to process and experiment with. )

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@ChocoMom -- I have had success canning chili before when i didn't have room for all the ground venison.

SEVEN deer? Unless y'all have REAL small deer, that's a BUNCH of venison! I'd have to be making some summer sausage, too.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb  he he....no, we have full-sized deer here. White tail, and some Piebolds.   Because of our farm, we are sent applications for additional deer permits from the DNR.  This year, we ended up with 7.  Yes, its a lot of venison, but we freeze it, can it, make sausage, and give it away to friends and relatives.   

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

32 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

@Shelby   YOU are  one super-organized hunting guru!!!!   Deer season will hit here soon enough, and I can already guess the best I will muster up to feed the crowd will be jelly donuts and apple fritters from Econofoods.   And coffee. Must have coffee. 

I was re-reading the thread and noticed you made venison meatballs. Might you have a recipe you'd care to share? :D  It got me thinking about canning meatballs. I wonder if that would work?  I may have to go experiment with some beef and see what happens.  (We've got permits to take 7 deer this season, so there may be ALOT of venison to process and experiment with. )

Trust me, I am not organized....if there was a place close that I could buy jelly donuts and  fritters, that would be happening here too xD

This gives a list of my meatball ingredients  --just omit the zucchini and up the bread/milk mixture a bit.  My meatballs are like my meatloaf....they never come out the same way twice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

@kayb  he he....no, we have full-sized deer here. White tail, and some Piebolds.   Because of our farm, we are sent applications for additional deer permits from the DNR.  This year, we ended up with 7.  Yes, its a lot of venison, but we freeze it, can it, make sausage, and give it away to friends and relatives.   

Wish I lived closer. Been a long time since I had a regular venison supplier.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

@ChocoMom -- I have had success canning chili before when i didn't have room for all the ground venison.

SEVEN deer? Unless y'all have REAL small deer, that's a BUNCH of venison! I'd have to be making some summer sausage, too.

I'm guessing predation permits......we had them at the orchard for groundhogs and deer

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

I couldn't wait :

my crime was # 9

Assault with an intent to rob.

here is Total Wine on 19 Crimes :

http://www.totalwine.com/search/all?text=19 crimes

so maybe your bottle was not $$ 20

I found our cork!

@rotuts is a much more hardened criminal than I am.

IMG_3840.JPG.360b9a423b0e14b1d2ad9340d44bc4d0.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I sent bierocks along with the guys for lunch today.  

They just got home and were unloading the boat and placed an uneaten bierock on a table in the garage.  

Roxy has now had a really great dinner.

• Haha 11

Good morning!!!

The fishing trip yesterday yielded one keeper catfish so that brings our grand total to two fish and and three doves xD.  

But, before we get to dinner we have to talk about this appetizer I made yesterday afternoon.  On the IP thread @Anna N made a savory cheesecake a while back and I've been meaning to make something similar for a long time.  I ran across this recipe for Muffuletta Cheesecake and being that I love muffulettas,  I decided to see if I could make it work in the Instant Pot.  I halved all of the ingredients, I used one egg and instead of provolone, I used mozzarella cheese.

A picture of the ingredients --minus the cream cheese because it suspiciously snuck out and was hiding on the stove.

IMG_3833.JPG.2548441986be1f929e637e840700d1bf.JPG

I like to wash as few dishes as possible, so when I made the crust, I melted the butter in a ziplock and then added the crackers right to that.  Just make sure you get it zipped shut all the way....I've had to wash butter out of the microwave a few times.  Sigh.

IMG_3834.JPG.0c5499c0a4cff34dae3bf344915d9685.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG.feb2446497d27dd2b9ce52fed05cdfd7.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG.fdac69b0eef98a847687c811abd3e442.JPG

I put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the springform pan and then mushed the cracker/butter mixture in.  I decided not make the crust go up the sides of the pan because the condensation from the IP would make it soggy.

Here it is right before spending 20 mins. at high pressure in the IP.

59d0f0c763b84_FullSizeRender47.jpg.d91029d741b2e3ef0c811c95768c9df5.jpg

And here it is after.  Doesn't look much different lol.

IMG_3839.JPG.540eadad2a95ae30b09e4078de039d1b.JPG

There was a bit of condensation on the top so I gently used a paper towel to soak it up.

The recipe says to let it rest in the fridge overnight--I only chilled it for about three hours due to not reading that far ahead.  But, it was just fine.  Seriously, this was so fun and easy to make and it is EXCELLENT.  I didn't make my own olive topping--I use Boscoli Olive Salad Mix which I think you can get at most grocery stores.

I toasted a bunch of bread in the CSO to go with it.

IMG_3842.JPG.cdbc434e5d145867471dd7c3e023d0d1.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG.c5b30ae1ed997138877312c63c81fec5.JPG

IMG_3845.JPG.ba40ab32fbc94cf7ced4cd26a7f95308.JPG

This is definitely a keeper.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

A few weeks ago I had wanted fried shrimp and was sure I had Panko crumbs.  Well, I didn't so I decided to sub crushed Rice Chex.  I like using the cereal better than Panko now.  Anyway, as I said above, I had some wonderful shrimp so we had that along with the two fish and three doves.  Frying with the Rice Chex is more steps than a beer batter--don't get me wrong, I still love beer batter, but sometimes you want more of a crunch, you know?  I seasoned some flour with Lawry's Salt and black pepper,  I beat three eggs in a separate bowl and then I crunched up the cereal in a ziplock.

IMG_3843.JPG.d95c4f8c63835ebe0eb1cd49480dd9cd.JPG

So you dip your shrimp and fish in the flour, then the egg and then the Rice Chex and fry it up.  

IMG_3848.JPG.f278a882321f3a5cbb95c3816a07f368.JPG

There was no point in starting the grill for three doves, so I wrapped them in bacon with a jalapeño and did them for ten minutes at 425F in the CSO.  To go with I made mac and cheese

59d0f35f61b8d_FullSizeRender48.jpg.0b260e623c6aee731793ff6e6b3cbf3d.jpg

And, I had two bags of fresh spinach in the fridge that needed to be used, so I threw them in the IP with lemon pepper, salt and butter.  Perfect.

IMG_3849.JPG.575a3fbe2bf268a87913c6f4160a1c77.JPG

And, that's it for this trip :)  He will be back at the very end of November for deer season.  Hopefully it proves to be more successful than this time--however, since there were no birds, our wonderful hunter friend helped us remove our zillion pound big screen tv that didn't work anymore and installed a new, much lighter one so I'm not complaining xD No game=chores done for Shelby.

See you back here in a couple months and as always, thanks for hanging out with me!

• Like 14