Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Shelby

'Tis Hunting Time--A smallish blog

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I think the Hunters come to Eat , and then just fiddle around.

 

note the gift relates to food , not to re-Loading or Purdy Shotguns.

 

just saying.


Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rotuts said:

I think the Hunter come to Eat , and then just fiddles around.

 

note the gift relates to food , not to re-Loading or Purdy Shotguns.

 

just saying.

xDxDxD

 

You may have hit the nail on the head :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This mornings pickage

 

IMG_4603.JPG.1906a8d573c468dae05615d9dc53ff4d.JPG

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, my peonies are just starting to put up little green shoots, and even the local wild asparagus hasn't put in an appearance yet! We're in the ramps stage at present.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Wow, my peonies are just starting to put up little green shoots, and even the local wild asparagus hasn't put in an appearance yet! We're in the ramps stage at present.

Everything is about a month behind here.  

 

We had very little spring.  Went from cold to summer in like a day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traditionally, gardeners here don't plant outside until the May long weekend, which is upon us now (ours isn't quite in sync with yours). We had our (hypothetically) last night of frost a couple of days ago, so tradition in this case is pretty much spot-on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Shelby said:

For appetizers I made some queso using some Rotel tomatoes--I did add some real cheese to the fake Velveeta.....does that count for anything?xD 

 

IMG_4586.JPG.0ad10a5b01fe52cfc23641821e2bb8f0.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SACRILEDGE!!!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Thank you!!!

 

Our existing grill....is pretty sad looking.  It will be so nice to have this one.  I still can't believe he did this for us.

 

IMG_4598.JPG.2297f1a358870fe919e36aacfb96eb6d.JPG

When my Weber died I disassembled it and buried the top and bottom in the garden then planted mint in the halves.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turkey sandwiches for lunch

 

IMG_4604.jpg.d409ddc5f51f490d57b687e1ba00e9b3.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so, I'm a little hesitant to post this........  it's so gourmet and fancy that I'm sure you all will be on my doorstep in order to partake.  

 

Please, please try and restrain yourselves.

 

 

:P

 

IMG_4605.jpg.20265d4612d0c65dc9723410d720d6fe.jpg

 

Onion dip, Ruffles, pickle roll-ups and pickled okra from the garden.

 

 

  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shelby said:

This mornings pickage

 

IMG_4603.JPG.1906a8d573c468dae05615d9dc53ff4d.JPG

Big-time jealous. Now we are looking at the possibility of buying a new house and moving within the next couple of years, so I'm hesitant to plant an asparagus bed.

 

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ok, so, I'm a little hesitant to post this........  it's so gourmet and fancy that I'm sure you all will be on my doorstep in order to partake.  

 

Please, please try and restrain yourselves.

 

 

:P

 

IMG_4605.jpg.20265d4612d0c65dc9723410d720d6fe.jpg

 

Onion dip, Ruffles, pickle roll-ups and pickled okra from the garden.

 

 

Ain't nothin' wrong with that. I like me some pickle roll-ups. Try rolling up the pickled okra.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The porch is done......it looks A-MAZ-ING.  I can't even express my thanks to our friend.  He does too much.  He's currently mowing....he claims it's relaxing lol. 

 

Anyway, with work being mostly done, tomorrow can be a fun day (I hope) of fishing.  So, I made breakfast again--I asked if they wanted something different, but they opted for the same (except using my homemade bread instead of store bought bagels).

 

I cannot seem to make eggs without breaking a yolk  9_9

 

IMG_4608.jpg.a9e6748923164207cd56704dbe2e2262.jpg

 

I'm off to start cooking--opted for Ann's chicken and probably some lo mein and some pork belly.....I was going to make egg rolls but discovered I'm out of wrappers.  I have 4 still in the freezer so we will make do.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ok, so, I'm a little hesitant to post this........  it's so gourmet and fancy that I'm sure you all will be on my doorstep in order to partake.  

 

Please, please try and restrain yourselves.

:P

Onion dip, Ruffles, pickle roll-ups and pickled okra from the garden.

 

I had the worst craving for onion dip and Ruffles the other day.  I came THIS close to going to the store for onion soup mix and chips.  I can't remember what I ate instead but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as good!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shelby said:

...pickled okra from the garden

 

Is that okra from this year's garden already? Or from last year's garden?

 

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

... they opted for the same (except using my homemade bread instead of store bought bagels).

 

That's high praise - and doubtless well-deserved!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

I had the worst craving for onion dip and Ruffles the other day.  I came THIS close to going to the store for onion soup mix and chips.  I can't remember what I ate instead but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as good!

OMG then you come on over!  

 

It really was good.....just not gourmet or anything.....but I'm not a gourmet..... ;)

 

 

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

 

Is that okra from this year's garden already? Or from last year's garden?

 

 

That's high praise - and doubtless well-deserved!

No no the okra was from last year :)  I only have one jar left.  Hopefully the okra grows this year.

 

Nah.....well, homemade bread just does trump store bought....

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guys were super exhausted .  They have worked so hard.  

 

They sat outside on the new porch/deck and enjoyed the nice evening.  I have to admit, I wish I could have sat out there too!  But, I was cooking and that's just the way it goes :)

 

Ann's honey garlic chicken with some of my cowboy candy to make it a bit more spicy

 

IMG_4609.jpg.0bbd4f20a4b8ff50a24cddc39e25fcb9.jpg

 

I did pork belly in the IP with some broth from the Asian market....always good.   And I had 4 egg rolls left in the freezer so that was perfect.

 

IMG_4610.JPG.c2fad7932b8ae76415fbc50cda8fd843.JPG
My plate

 

IMG_4611.JPG.969b61248ce9e2af1f91b1b307e690f7.JPG

I didn't get a picture of our friends plate...but he declared this the best meal of the week so far :)  

 

I've done as many dishes as I can, I'm pooped and this DAMN poison ivy is the pits.

 

See ya'll in the morning and thanks for reading :)  

 

 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-05-17 at 9:45 AM, Smithy said:

That spaghetti looks wonderful. You inspire me to haul out my pasta maker - just as soon as I have time.

 Nothing yet has had the power to inspire me to haul out mine.   I console myself with knowing is still in mint (collectors’) condition.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning!  Almost afternoon already.  

 

Phew.

 

The guys went fishing today.  I hope they catch enough for dinner!

 

I weeded the garden.  I'm glad to have gotten it done.

 

I don't think I've shared the picture of the bench that Ronnie made me so that I can sit and view the garden.  My other one rotted over the winter.

 

IMG_4373.JPG.e6bba23ca7dc3bcba63fbcda85deebeb.JPG

 

Chum approved.

 

Anyway, here is my view of the garden this morning from the bench.

 

IMG_4618.JPG.c7ed41b2c0abe07da895f9fb6ad3a642.JPG

 

I had Ruffles and onion dip for breakfast.   I am such a healthy eater.

 

 

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anna N said:

 Nothing yet has had the power to inspire me to haul out mine.   I console myself with knowing is still in mint (collectors’) condition.

Same.  I treated myself to one a number of years ago with some birthday money and I have yet to try it out.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Good morning!  Almost afternoon already.  

 

Phew.

 

The guys went fishing today.  I hope they catch enough for dinner!

 

I weeded the garden.  I'm glad to have gotten it done.

 

I don't think I've shared the picture of the bench that Ronnie made me so that I can sit and view the garden.  My other one rotted over the winter.

 

IMG_4373.JPG.e6bba23ca7dc3bcba63fbcda85deebeb.JPG

 

Chum approved.

 

Anyway, here is my view of the garden this morning from the bench.

 

IMG_4618.JPG.c7ed41b2c0abe07da895f9fb6ad3a642.JPG

 

I had Ruffles and onion dip for breakfast.   I am such a healthy eater.

 

 

Love the bench!  And Chum!  And if we were not on a flood watch here, I'd be on the way to the store for the makings for chips and dip.  I am really craving it now.  Wonder if Mr. Kim would be willing to stop on the way home?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shelby  Great bench!  Oh my Ruffles & onion dip - please tell me it was made with sour cream and Lipton onion soup mix?!?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shelby

 

Wow

 

so Nice a bench !

 

Animal Approved , no less !

 

not to get into any trouble here

 

o.O

 

you are preserving it with .............

 

Hee  Hee

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Shelby  Great bench!  Oh my Ruffles & onion dip - please tell me it was made with sour cream and Lipton onion soup mix?!?  

Thank you!

 

Is there any other/better way?  :D  

 

The guys texted that they are on their way home.  With tons of fish.  And they are hungry.  They requested turkey sandwiches and more onion dip and chips.  

 

Excuse the paper plates.  I am on dishwashing strike for a couple hours.

 

IMG_4633.JPG.6d68c8c657d9287b3348b11af1c03ae2.JPG

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the food looks wonderful. I love the bench! And the garden is looking good, too. Perfect to have a place to sit and watch it grow. Though I know that Chum secretly believes that bench was built just for her.  xD

 

Would love to see the new porch, if you are willing to share a photo. 

 

How many freezers do you have? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, all the food looks amazing!  Now I have a serious want on for pork belly; chips and onion soup dip as well as a sandwich.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×