• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

24 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Yay!  Someone else who likes candy corn.  You or Ronnie?  Try this: handful of candy corn and salted peanuts – mixed.  Tastes oddly of caramel apple.  Mike and I discovered this.  We are peculiar. 

And yes, squishy white bread (toasted) for creamed chipped beef – Texas Toast is good, too.  That must have been someone else you are thinking of, @Thanks for the Crepes.  I don’t use Buddig – sometimes Armour in the jar and sometimes something in a pouch that Food Lion carries, but not Buddig.  Though now, I’m remembering Buddig ham sandwiches on Wonder bread with nostalgia. :D

They now make candy corn flavored Hostess cupcakes. I'm going to have to try them.

I, too, have used the Buddig beef for SOS. Which, interestingly enough, I really like over a hot smashed potato (the potatoes you either bake or boil, then mash flat with a potato masher, brush with butter, and broil). Which, I reckon, would make it SOP.

4 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

And a second person snuck in another one s well.

Damn, I hate it when that happens. 

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

LOVE...LOVE...LOVE hunting season blogs...

It currently is bow season here so no more walking in certain places.

How will you incorporate the Friskies into your meals?:wacko:  

The Buddings were kinda standard for cheap sandwiches in our home growing up........along with the Spam that was baked In the toaster oven.

Wymans ARE worth it IMHO...unless I have gotten fresh Maine ones.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Yay!  Someone else who likes candy corn.  You or Ronnie?  Try this: handful of candy corn and salted peanuts – mixed.  Tastes oddly of caramel apple.  Mike and I discovered this.  We are peculiar. 

And yes, squishy white bread (toasted) for creamed chipped beef – Texas Toast is good, too.  That must have been someone else you are thinking of, @Thanks for the Crepes.  I don’t use Buddig – sometimes Armour in the jar and sometimes something in a pouch that Food Lion carries, but not Buddig.  Though now, I’m remembering Buddig ham sandwiches on Wonder bread with nostalgia. :D

My best friend introduced me to to the candy corn/peanut mixture.  Very very addictive.  We worked together and we would go through an embarrassing amount in one day.

14 hours ago, kayb said:

They now make candy corn flavored Hostess cupcakes. I'm going to have to try them.

I, too, have used the Buddig beef for SOS. Which, interestingly enough, I really like over a hot smashed potato (the potatoes you either bake or boil, then mash flat with a potato masher, brush with butter, and broil). Which, I reckon, would make it SOP.

Damn, I hate it when that happens. 

:o

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

LOVE...LOVE...LOVE hunting season blogs...

It currently is bow season here so no more walking in certain places.

How will you incorporate the Friskies into your meals?:wacko:  

The Buddings were kinda standard for cheap sandwiches in our home growing up........along with the Spam that was baked In the toaster oven.

Wymans ARE worth it IMHO...unless I have gotten fresh Maine ones.

Ugh.  Bow season.  Yeah, don't get shot please.  

I throw the Friskies in the food processor, whizz it up and spread it on crackers.  It's great.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

I assume our hunter has landed.  

I was going to make Chex mix this morning (because I bought that cute white mason jar container in the picture yesterday)  but then I realized I needed to save the Rice Chex for making fish breading.  So, I remembered a pretzel recipe that my best friend makes....brown sugar, butter, cayenne pepper, melt, pour over pretzels, bake in oven at 275 for 20 mins or so, stirring occasionally.  So, I did that only I used chipotle chile pepper instead of cayenne.

IMG_3802.JPG.57fa289c01e011b4193d743fea5fe2b5.JPG

It's now cooling on the counter

IMG_3803.JPG.2b38d5152b2da917cec481276453ae15.JPG

Good stuff.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I throw the Friskies in the food processor, whizz it up and spread it on crackers.  It's great.

Wise a$$..........

How about some of those old standbys oyster crackers with ranch dressing?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It's been a little hectic this afternoon... :)  Our big screen TV broke a few months ago and I was going to wait until a black Friday sale or around Super Bowl but...the guys came home with a new tv anyway long story short things aren't working out lol.

So, on to the food :

Here is the lunchmeat--nothing special, but I like it and so does Chum ;)  IMG_3804.JPG.3eed4624662bcc55dac3c75a139e7ea6.JPG

And, snacks:

Pickle roll ups, my okra and jalapeños and deviled eggs

IMG_3805.JPG.58bdc092f3d083cbcdf5ae52a4a10ff1.JPG

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@Shelby,

Nice looking hors d'oeuvres plate!

The roll-ups I had were simple: ham spread with cream cheese rolled around a thin dill pickle spear into tubes and then sliced into tidbits. Do yours have cream cheese?

Yep, lots of cream cheese in there :)

It's a beautiful morning.  

The guys have left to do I don't know what lol.  I know it's not fishing because the boat is still here.

I have the windows open and I'm sitting here with a hot cup of coffee....  doesn't get much better than that.

Dinner went smoothly last night.  

Ronnie cold smoked some ribs last week and I decided that sounded good for dinner.  I put them in the Instant Pot for 45 mins on high pressure and then covered them with Curley's BBQ sauce and then threw them under the broiler for a bit.

Here they are before IP'ing

IMG_3806.JPG.28901c3c490ed25358614bbb24ff7e98.JPG

I was going to make collard greens but when I got to the garden and inspected what I had to work with, I nixed that idea.  So, I went with squash, baked beans and scalloped taters.  

IMG_3807.JPG.cfbafe046c6b40a7c1ea5b450608b3ae.JPG

• Like 8

Today I hope to feel a little more organized.  The tv installation threw me off my game yesterday lol.

So, to back up a little.  Last week I decided to bake a lot of bread and freeze it so I would have it.  You've seen it before, but here it is again.  I sure love the CSO for bread baking.

White sandwich bread

IMG_3787.JPG.658f626d170c666e97a13b8a129a0799.JPG

French bread

IMG_3785.JPG.460b613383542430c2724a628220aaa4.JPG

Then, I got really ambitious and wanted to make a bunch of venison bierocks.  They freeze really well and are handy to have in a lunch emergency lol.  After rummaging in the fridge I realized I didn't have any cabbage.  Ronnie suggested using grated zucchini and it worked like a charm.  Seriously good.  You wouldn't even know there wasn't any cabbage in it.  I didn't cook it before adding it to the meat mixture like I would cabbage.  

Dough rising

59ccfc0f980ec_FullSizeRender43.jpg.00f8680b3fa76b5489d2d22b47276483.jpg

Venison burger, chopped onion, shredded zucchini and sauerkraut (my secret ingredient--gives it a kick) seasoned with ground caraway seed (seriously, where has that been all my life?  I love the taste of caraway, but I always hated biting into the seeds) salt, pepper and garlic.59ccfc14110e6_FullSizeRender37.jpg.2f437ab3d6f2d5f35ccf8907ef197b8e.jpg

IMG_3755.JPG.b9daff08c03e7f5d72f2c366d265325f.JPG

Roll the dough into a square

IMG_3756.JPG.3302ff0bbfc2e3d99492a5acc2052cd4.JPG

Cut into equal squares (as close to square and you can get--I always have to use my rolling pin to get more square) and fill with a couple spoons of filling and top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese.  Grab two opposite ends and smoosh them together.

59ccfc22f3c81_FullSizeRender38.jpg.16f978b9c0f7c527b16a31272f1b0242.jpg

Grab the other two and smoosh them

59ccfc2546a9e_FullSizeRender39.jpg.fd208358700b09896aa92a8ee039d4dc.jpg

Seal it all around

59ccfc282d829_FullSizeRender40.jpg.0d554da377df16e6367b036583baa239.jpg

Repeat

59ccfc357c86e_FullSizeRender41.jpg.92df1e9ae55a0742de33a13147d7cc17.jpg

Again, the CSO does wonders with these.  375F for 20 mins. using the bread setting

IMG_3764.JPG.0744bd7c42a0b05381f2086011f0950f.JPG

59ccfc3a4e79c_FullSizeRender42.jpg.d10b38ad7a96675053f9091ce43d984c.jpg

IMG_3767.JPG.946e175f95729669ae2aead60b0a50ed.JPG

I am going to sit here for a while longer then grab a shower and start putzing around the kitchen :)  

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

Our friend requested my Hatch chile pork enchiladas for tomorrow night.  I usually throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning and let it go all day, but I decided to use the Instant Pot.  I hope it's nice and tender.  After it's done, I'll pull the pork out and whizz everything else up in the food processor.  Makes great enchilada sauce.

Needed to get my chiles peeled.  Steamed them in the CSO.  All of my toys really come in handy :)

IMG_3786.JPG.5410244238d53f5487bff806bb2b6637.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG.04a62e5088d2f09c471f4657365edcd5.JPG

I used my canned tomatoes because I'm trying to hoard the last of my fresh ones to make salsa.

IMG_3808.JPG.0d623c2c29928a4a9bd4939869c53ac8.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG.67eee0dc25940ad08c69dc0f4986750e.JPG

• Like 10

@Shelby 

Jee Wizz   

I dont hunt   

[ed,: a neutral comment }

But I can show up and pretend .

I do have a Filson Tin Cloth Jacket

it has spaces for bullets and shotgun shells under the upper flap 

I got it a long time ago when I was a member of a Hunting Dog group

where I trained Ridge  ( my second Labrador  --- Black )

to be a Senior Hunter  

I could dust it off , and put a bit more of that Filson Wax-y oil on here and there

Im sure it would look Well Used when I got there ?

this one :

10088-main-242_19.thumb.jpg.8b461a39f404b495866990b2941bb9db.jpg

I think you can stuff your Ducks in a flap in the back !

I might put it in the dryer on ' air fluff '

for a day or two  

similar to SV

to look Well Traveled ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

Jee Wizz   

I dont hunt   

[ed,: a neutral comment }

But I can show up and pretend .

I do have a Filson Tin Cloth Jacket

it has spaces for bullets and shotgun shells under the upper flap 

I got it a long time ago when I was a member of a Hunting Dog group

where I trained Ridge  ( my second Labrador  --- Black )

to be a Senior Hunter  

I could dust it off , and put a bit more of that Filson Wax-y oil on here and there

Im sure it would look Well Used when I got there ?

this one :

10088-main-242_19.thumb.jpg.8b461a39f404b495866990b2941bb9db.jpg

I think you can stuff your Ducks in a flap in the back !

I might put it in the dryer on ' air fluff '

for a day or two  

similar to SV

to look Well Traveled ?

You will fit right in!

• Like 3

I love that cheese board. Slab. Whatever. Is it slate? 

What kind of dough do you use for the bierocks? Looks somewhat like pizza crust dough. Is it? Reminds me of calzones, which I used to make more often when my foster son lived with me because he could LIVE on calzones. I make something similar with rye bread dough, sliced pastrami, sliced Swiss, and well-drained kraut. Make it in a big loaf with a woven top, and slice it in hunks. Great for a football party. Like this:

59cd6ea4568fa_bigreuben1.jpg.7781a3bbbc191ca7ac42fe4c1fde89fe.jpg

59cd6eb8c261a_bigreuben.jpg.4487e0564bf9f0daac87ca337d0a0d53.jpg

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Oh Shelby, you are going to be the death of me.  I LOVE shopping at igourmet and my poor check book reflects it in spades.  It is so cool that they even have a category called "stinky cheese".  I like to think they did that just for me.  Anything with the word "truffle" calls out to me loudly.  Combine that with cheese and I'm a goner.

My family seems to be born minus a hunting gene so I enjoy reading your blog so much.  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, kayb said:

I love that cheese board. Slab. Whatever. Is it slate? 

What kind of dough do you use for the bierocks? Looks somewhat like pizza crust dough. Is it? Reminds me of calzones, which I used to make more often when my foster son lived with me because he could LIVE on calzones. I make something similar with rye bread dough, sliced pastrami, sliced Swiss, and well-drained kraut. Make it in a big loaf with a woven top, and slice it in hunks. Great for a football party. Like this:

59cd6ea4568fa_bigreuben1.jpg.7781a3bbbc191ca7ac42fe4c1fde89fe.jpg

59cd6eb8c261a_bigreuben.jpg.4487e0564bf9f0daac87ca337d0a0d53.jpg

Kay, I remember when you first posted this--it made me drool then, and it's making me drool now.

This is the dough recipe--I know it seems like a  lot of sugar, but that's what makes bierocks bierocks.

Dough recipe

1 (.25 oz.) envelope fast acting dry yeast 
1 cup warm milk 
1/3 cup granulated sugar 
1 teaspoon salt 
1/3 cup butter (melted and cooled) 
1 egg, beaten 
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Edited to add--YES the cheese board is slate.  I could have written the names of the cheese on there but I didn't.  

38 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Oh Shelby, you are going to be the death of me.  I LOVE shopping at igourmet and my poor check book reflects it in spades.  It is so cool that they even have a category called "stinky cheese".  I like to think they did that just for me.  Anything with the word "truffle" calls out to me loudly.  Combine that with cheese and I'm a goner.

My family seems to be born minus a hunting gene so I enjoy reading your blog so much.  

UGH I love igourmet, too.  We must be twins.  Their cheese selection is outstanding.

Thanks for the kind words about my blog--makes my day :)

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We'll, darn it all, @IowaDee  I had never heard of igourmet until you mentioned it.  I am extremely likely to be spending time on that site and perhaps even drop a buck or two.:D

I highly suggest not visiting the site :P

It has great stuff....and fast shipping...I could spend a boat load of money there.

• Like 1

The guys don't want me to tell you this because they are ashamed LOL.  But, today they came home with a total of three doves.  There are just no birds around :(  Fishing is on the docket tomorrow so maybe they will have better luck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The guys don't want me to tell you this because they are ashamed LOL.  But, today they came home with a total of three doves.  There are just no birds around :(  Fishing is on the docket tomorrow so maybe they will have better luck.

Sounds like you need to make them a cocktail!xD

• Haha 3

Shelby, I hope you'll show us the rest of the enchilada-making process as well as the finished results.  I still have some peeled and roasted Hatch chiles, and some tomatos. How would I get from there to enchiladas? 

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

Needed to get my chiles peeled.  Steamed them in the CSO.  All of my toys really come in handy :)

IMG_3786.JPG.5410244238d53f5487bff806bb2b6637.JPG

Fabulous blog so far, and you have nothing to worry about in the interesting and entertaining department. I think many of us are quite engaged in your tales. :x

I am assuming that by steaming the Hatches in the CSO you mean the steam BROIL function to get the browning. I don't think I would be the only one interested in how you did that.

I'm sending good wishes for luck on tomorrow's fishing expedition and looking forward to your report. Just make sure to remind them not to lose Chum as you send them off with breakfast.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Yes, how is Chum? Is she helping out with things? As the cats are, I assume?  :laugh:

I love reading your blogs - or your posts in general. You have a knack for description and always make us feel warm and welcome!

I also love how you draw on so many things - your own garden, local fishing and hunting, online resources(!) and bring them together to make such interesting meals. :)

• Like 8