• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

I might have purchased a dove for six dollars back in the day. It was not a sober decision. It was the type of place where you pick out your poultry and they slaughter it for you but I just wanted a dove. I named it Dovely Lovely. They put it in a box with feed. I took it to a bar on a busy Friday night. It caused quite the distraction. 
   Even in my inebriated state, once we went back to my then boyfriends place and he tried to insist it could live in his garage I refused. I tried to let it go but it didn’t move very far.

Definitely NOT my best decision or moment but yea, for a few hours I was the somewhat abashed owner of a dove. 

My twenties are full of crazy stories.

I have never eaten dove although yours look delicious Shelby. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Haha 4

Happy Sunday! Your food, energy and photography still continue to amaze me, but the eggplant parmesan is the one still haunting me. I know what a pain it is and how good the reward when it's done right. (The same is true for doves, as I recall, but I don't have access to them.)

My question: when you fry those eggplant slices, do you do that inside the house, or outside where spatters won't matter? Or have you worked out how to fry them without spattering? Please give more detail. I'd love to have some of that golden-brown goodness in my repertoire.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:19 AM, Shelby said:

<snip>

This beauty might be the only one that I get from the garden.  There are more on, but they are still babies.

thumbnail_IMG_1294.jpg.50044314b65f8c02ab5ab0011bbcfc16.jpg

I turned him into eggplant parmesan.  

Flour, egg wash, panko mixed with parm cheese

thumbnail_IMG_1301.jpg.257754e9392a50f0e4e95c6f5c4ddc5b.jpg

Fried

thumbnail_IMG_1302.jpg.d16d86660b8d92545e81cccb22527e56.jpg

Covered with cheese and sauce and baked.

thumbnail_IMG_1304.jpg.748fddd9f62cd4c52a1cc973e00bb161.jpg

I could've just had a huge plate of this and been happy.

:x

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

40 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Happy Sunday! Your food, energy and photography still continue to amaze me, but the eggplant parmesan is the one still haunting me. I know what a pain it is and how good the reward when it's done right. (The same is true for doves, as I recall, but I don't have access to them.)

My question: when you fry those eggplant slices, do you do that inside the house, or outside where spatters won't matter? Or have you worked out how to fry them without spattering? Please give more detail. I'd love to have some of that golden-brown goodness in my repertoire.

:x

I fry everything inside...and I make a mess, but I try to keep it at a minimum.  I use a splatter screen.  That helps a bit :) 

• Thanks 1

Another September hunt has come to a close.  Ronnie just left to take our friend to the airport--and to drop off some tomatoes at another friends house.  I gave two grocery sacks full of tomatoes to our farmer last night....and this what's still here 

thumbnail_IMG_1334.jpg.85307435864afbf53ed9d8f3d2f51241.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1335.jpg.efd6e07ea5d8443bcdf848ccc21ce742.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1332.jpg.e6a0e64a29154057abd9076f6eeb182c.jpg

Soooo, yeah, not running out any time soon lol.  I also picked a ton of shishitos this morning.

Back to yesterday:  the guys worked out in the heat until about 2, so instead of appetizers I made a little lunch.  Turkey roll-ups and deviled eggs.

thumbnail_IMG_1327.jpg.28de61e046854f9dd5b59d8cf0377b29.jpg

Then I got busy canning.  Got 7 quarts done.  I'm running out of shelf space lol.

Dinner last night was cheeseburger pizza and a salad.  I made the dough yesterday while the mixer was unearthed from the tomatoes for bread making.

thumbnail_IMG_1328.jpg.7fe23f046821d6b4f09f7b33504e29ca.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1329.jpg.a0898d47c7ee16c2d698b6594c657a82.jpg

Our friend decided he wanted a Bloody Mary this morning before leaving--helps soothe the awfulness of flying 🤣.  

Ronnie made a quick mix from some of the spicy tomato juice I made earlier.

thumbnail_IMG_1331.jpg.df11bc1c17dcb660fcecb1db6e5c0414.jpg

Celery is from the garden--I bought seeds just for fun.  Celery takes a LONG time to grow.  Ronnie started it in the greenhouse and it's just now ready.

thumbnail_IMG_1333.jpg.7431ed6254d2bfc3f1a8614607689987.jpg

So, cheers to another installment--thanks for being with me,  and I'll see you back here for deer season that begins Dec. 1 :) 

I'm off to unpack my Ninja Creami 😄

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

thank you.

are you taking pics of the same tomatoes

more than once ?

ttt.jpg.214e1065746b0c09c86ab65b4a4bdca9.jpg

I'm sure Ive seen these two before .

Probably!  I go through them every day and weed out the ones that need to be processed the most....

• Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this with us when you are so very busy!  

I can't believe the tomatoes.  I wish I could come by and buy some from you!  

@Shelby, have you made @Suvir Saran's Tomato Chutney?  It's really good stuff.  If you are missing any of non-tomato ingredients, PM me your address and I'll mail you a packet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this with us when you are so very busy!  

I can't believe the tomatoes.  I wish I could come by and buy some from you!  

@Shelby, have you made @Suvir Saran's Tomato Chutney?  It's really good stuff.  If you are missing any of non-tomato ingredients, PM me your address and I'll mail you a packet. 

I wish you could too--except there wouldn't be any buying them. I'd be begging you to take them!

No I haven't made that.   I see two ingredients that I don't have.  I'll google to see if I have something similar or I can order.  This looks like something interesting that would be fun to have a few jars of.  Thank you!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I wish you could too--except there wouldn't be any buying them. I'd be begging you to take them!

No I haven't made that.   I see two ingredients that I don't have.  I'll google to see if I have something similar or I can order.  This looks like something interesting that would be fun to have a few jars of.  Thank you!

I see that I linked the recipe for the Tomato Chutney but there's also a whole discussion about it in this Tomato Chutney topic.  I consider it adult ketchup 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shelby, you are so generous to share your kitchen and garden life with us! Thank you for taking the time, again. I wish I ate so well back when I was getting up early and working outside all day.

Love your energy and willingness to try new stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, catdaddy said:

Shelby, you are so generous to share your kitchen and garden life with us! Thank you for taking the time, again. I wish I ate so well back when I was getting up early and working outside all day.

Love your energy and willingness to try new stuff.

This is so nice of you :) 

But, I don't have energy.  I have wine lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

I fry everything inside...and I make a mess, but I try to keep it at a minimum.  I use a splatter screen.  That helps a bit :) 

One thing I particularly like about my induction cooktop.  If I am cooking something that splatters, like bacon, I cover the area around the pan with paper towels or newspaper.  Since induction does not cause fires, it's perfectly safe and the mess is contained.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I do use a spatter screen, but whenever I lift it to move something I get spatters anyway. I'm probably just too fussy about it! I marvel that my mother used to make fried chicken in her electric skillet on a regular basis! I'm grateful that she did, but I still marvel at it! (She admitted later that yes, she hated the mess. But we all loved her chicken, so she did it. :x )

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I do use a spatter screen, but whenever I lift it to move something I get spatters anyway. I'm probably just too fussy about it! I marvel that my mother used to make fried chicken in her electric skillet on a regular basis! I'm grateful that she did, but I still marvel at it! (She admitted later that yes, she hated the mess. But we all loved her chicken, so she did it. :x )

Moms are the best :) My grammy made fried chicken for us a lot, too.  I never remember ANY mess at all....she made it look effortless.  When I do it it's like a bomb went off.  It's a little better when I sous vide it first because it doesn't take as long to cook, though.

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you,  @Shelby     for another interesting blog.  Better get some rest between now and Dec. 1!

Thank you!!!

I took a very long nap this afternoon which was heavenly.  I'm now canning.  And you're right.  Dec. 1 will be here before I know it.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

It's already almost Dec. 1st 😳.

Our friend gets here Wednesday about mid-morning.  As usual,  I'm soooooooo behind.  I do have Christmas decor up--except for his bedroom which I will do tomorrow afternoon.  Not that he probably cares lol.  The cats seem particularly interested in the Christmas tree this year.  I put it in a different spot and they won't stay out of it.  It is a flocked tree and they come out covered and they are tracking it everywhere.  So, I'm blaming them for me being not on track 😁.

Went to the grocery store and liquor store this morning.  I forgot a few things.  I don't know if I will get back out or just be fine with what I have.  The pandemic has really ramped up my OCD about needing to have more than one of everything around here.   I ordered a big amount from Misfits and Imperfect foods that got here Saturday so I'm set for fresh veggies until next Saturday.  I also got some shrimp and some cheeses. 

Stuff I bought today:

These oysters were all 1.99.  Super cheap for around here so I bought them all out.  The weather is going to be ridiculously  hot Wed, Thurs and Fri but then Saturday it's a high in the 50's so maybe oyster stew or a seafood stew for that night.

thumbnail_IMG_1529.jpg.73d6b6a7bff6d99111f3ffb0483687ad.jpg

The sell by date is tomorrow so I decided it would be smart to go ahead and freeze them.  Experience has taught me that you can't freeze these pop-top container--the oyster juice expands and you have a big mess--so vac pac to the rescue.

thumbnail_IMG_1530.jpg.990030aa975de9cff539e93b971a9060.jpg

I was surprised to see tomatillos so I got some to make maybe a pork chili verde....those bread bowls I thought would be cute to put his favorite onion dip in.  Port wine cheese ball 'cause I like those.

thumbnail_IMG_1531.jpg.4572910fbb493e5d1e44799b02a0d89a.jpg

These got in the cart.  They aren't bad, but they aren't super great either.  I detect NO gingerbread taste in the Kit Kats--more like butterscotch.  And regular peanut butter cups are much better. I'll put them in a bowl to look festive at least.

thumbnail_IMG_1532.jpg.b3ff1c93381e91646071465a05d7eaff.jpg

More stuff

thumbnail_IMG_1533.jpg.32fb370b337580bc3cf2cc593241161e.jpg

Couldn't remember how much dressing mix I had--meant to order from the spice place but I forgot--thus the bottled dressing.  Enchilada sauce in case I am out of strength to make my own.  It's pretty good if you doctor it up a bit.  Croutons were a dollar a bag.  Bargain!  Puff pastry for a green bean tart.  Pickles for roast beef\pickle roll ups.  Yeah, my vow to get new appetizer ideas has not come to fruition.

And this especially for @Smithy

thumbnail_IMG_1534.jpg.cbe92a9bcf9f164d87a260b810ab9911.jpg

if the stores have had this before, I never noticed it.  

I'm off to switch laundry and clean out the fridge and some cabinets so stuff doesn't fall out when you open the door.  Sigh.  lol.

• Like 19

Calm down young lady! I am sure your level of pampering/cooking is unrivaled anywhere else Mr. Hunter goes.  Repeats every coupe of months are probably moist certainly, something he looks forward to.  What hunting season is it? Throw a few Christmas colored kisses on his pillow  like the fancy hotels - decorating done.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Calm down young lady! I am sure your level of pampering/cooking is unrivaled anywhere else Mr. Hunter goes.  Repeats every coupe of months are probably moist certainly, something he looks forward to.  What hunting season is it? Throw a few Christmas colored kisses on his pillow  like the fancy hotels - decorating done.  

Deer season opens Wednesday--and duck, goose, pheasant, quail etc. is going on.  

I usually put a little Christmas tree in there with lights.  My extension cords got up and walked away so I had to buy some today--I'll get to that tomorrow. ....maybe lol.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I usually put a little Christmas tree in there with lights.  My extension cords got up and walked away so I had to buy some today--I'll get to that tomorrow. ....maybe lol.

a pretty glass bowl with ornaments works too. You got this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As always, I am looking forward to this mini blog. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

If the population there is anywhere near what we have, they will be very successful. We saw 30+ dead deer on the side of the road driving to KC and back this weekend. Dang near added another one in Southern Illinois. Nice, big buck ran outta the woods in front of the car.

• Sad 5

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.