• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

Just now, KennethT said:

huh - so you just send the wings through the mail?  Doesn't it stink?

Yep, just regular mail. I wouldn't want to be the one opening the envelope lol!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@Shelby

That is a super interesting program.  Apparently you live along a recognized "migratory flyway".  How cool.  I had to go and investigate this program.  The information and reasoning and the handling of the samples are explained here.   I'm sure wildlife biologists are very used to the stink of samples, kind of goes with the territory.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Shelby

That is a super interesting program.  Apparently you live along a recognized "migratory flyway".  How cool.  I had to go and investigate this program.  The information and reasoning and the handling of the samples are explained here.   I'm sure wildlife biologists are very used to the stink of samples, kind of goes with the territory.

Thanks for the link!  I hadn't thought to look it up.  It is interesting.

Well at least they picked the peppers and let you know what they enjoy. I still giggle every time I see your peeled tomatoes! Miss Scout looks like she has relatively dainty feet. What is her fighting weight?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Excuse Scout's ball, I just realized she put it in there too. 🙄

Hahaha, I think she was just trying to put it away with the other balls/tomatoes. She's a very tidy dog!  🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Well at least they picked the peppers and let you know what they enjoy. I still giggle every time I see your peeled tomatoes! Miss Scout looks like she has relatively dainty feet. What is her fighting weight?

She's going to be smaller than Chum for sure.  I'd say she weighs maybe 65 lbs?

I've totally blown off canning today.  I will pay for that tomorrow--however I did give a whole bunch of tomatoes to my UPS man so maybe that makes up for my sin.

• Like 6

Happy Friday!!!

The guys worked super hard yesterday and were really tired and hot when they got home.  They did manage to take a break and get some more doves--which they had to retrieve themselves lol.

thumbnail_IMG_1309.jpg.4ffff09629416df4786301ee3a7f843e.jpg

This time Ronnie plucked them--that's my favorite way because then I can stuff them with lemons and onions and roast them.  Really good.

Apparently they were channeling @CantCookStillTry's husband for this picture.

thumbnail_IMG_1310.jpg.bc87d4c250f0536bfa7e32b4ec767321.jpg

Cheese, crackers, okra that I pickled, meats and Concord grapes for appetizers.  Cheeses were all Murray's that I grabbed from the big grocery store.  Left to right--a soft brie like herby cheese, English cheddar, Beehive Red Butte Hatch Chili, and a smoked gouda.

thumbnail_IMG_1300.jpg.d2fd41a4392c91eb171d7e235890dc56.jpg

I peeled a whole ton of tomatoes, chopped up onions, squash, garlic, mushrooms and picked a whole bunch of fresh oregano and basil and started my sauce early in the afternoon.  The tomatoes are so juicy that they take forever to cook down but it finally got there.

I also found some venison meatballs (thank you Lord) in the freezer .  Phew.  Because I couldn't find the spicy Italian sausage that I KNOW I bought.

thumbnail_IMG_1312.jpg.f2e19d3f643e2bae1717d6a5f2f14e52.jpg

This beauty might be the only one that I get from the garden.  There are more on, but they are still babies.

thumbnail_IMG_1294.jpg.50044314b65f8c02ab5ab0011bbcfc16.jpg

I turned him into eggplant parmesan.  

Flour, egg wash, panko mixed with parm cheese

thumbnail_IMG_1301.jpg.257754e9392a50f0e4e95c6f5c4ddc5b.jpg

Fried

thumbnail_IMG_1302.jpg.d16d86660b8d92545e81cccb22527e56.jpg

Covered with cheese and sauce and baked.

thumbnail_IMG_1304.jpg.748fddd9f62cd4c52a1cc973e00bb161.jpg

I could've just had a huge plate of this and been happy.

Plated up with pasta

thumbnail_IMG_1306.jpg.aedfd5e9d455ea191658aa278c227d70.jpg

I also made a huge salad which I apparently forgot to take a picture of.

They were too full for dessert.

And I was too tired lol.

Pickage this morning.

thumbnail_IMG_1308.jpg.6caf18782fa41397751caad3541a3552.jpg

Getting TONS of shishito peppers.

thumbnail_IMG_1311.jpg.dcd474732c9bf38c6fdf5baa34e4103c.jpg

I wish there was a way to preserve them for this winter.

Today the guys are repairing the shooting house.  A bad storm must have happened up there and left it very much worse for wear.  My agenda is to make some white bread, can, figure out an appetizer....might just do more cheese....  I need to get busy lol.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

I'd forgotten about Dale's.  Good stuff.  I just added it to my shopping list.

Neither Mr. Kim or I like eggplant, but we both agree we'd love to try your Eggplant Parm!  It looks fantastic.  

I'm just gobsmacked at your energy, girl and loving this!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'd forgotten about Dale's.  Good stuff.  I just added it to my shopping list.

Neither Mr. Kim or I like eggplant, but we both agree we'd love to try your Eggplant Parm!  It looks fantastic.  

I'm just gobsmacked at your energy, girl and loving this!  

You wouldn't even know it's eggplant lol...so much stuff on it.

I am exhausted.  I'm just trying not to complain 🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I LOVE eggplant parmesan, but am generally too lazy to make it. I think yours look delicious! But then, I think all your food looks delicious!

Would you see if the guys can get a more closeup picture of the mystery plant? Are those bean pod thingies growing from the same plant?

Can those shishito peppers be roasted and skinned, then frozen? Or is it too much given everything else you're doing? I ran across a note saying that I'd given the same treatment to a bunch of peppers that I'd given tomatoes, more or less following ElainaA's recipe, and been quite happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 9/13/2021 at 10:16 AM, David Ross said:

Every year when I see this thread I smile.  I'm looking forward to seeing some wild duck dishes, hopefully the hunt will be good this season.

I just want to take a moment to say how much I'm going to miss David Ross.  He always took the time to help and give very detailed answers on any questions I had.  He always encouraged me on this topic and others.  I loved all of the topics he created for the cook off series.  David, EG won't be the same without you.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I LOVE eggplant parmesan, but am generally too lazy to make it. I think yours look delicious! But then, I think all your food looks delicious!

Would you see if the guys can get a more closeup picture of the mystery plant? Are those bean pod thingies growing from the same plant?

Can those shishito peppers be roasted and skinned, then frozen? Or is it too much given everything else you're doing? I ran across a note saying that I'd given the same treatment to a bunch of peppers that I'd given tomatoes, more or less following ElainaA's recipe, and been quite happy with it.

Eggplant parm is a pain to make for sure.  Ronnie doesn't even really care for it so I only make it if I have one from the garden and someone is visiting that likes it lol...which is a combo that rarely happens.

I've sent a text to ask for a more close up picture of the plant.  The pods are part of the plant and the pods are totally green (I had found something with purplish pods that I thought looked similar but it's not).

I don't think I could skin the peppers but that's a GREAT idea using ElainaA's recipe for the cherry tomatoes.  I think it would work perfectly.  Thank you!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

This plant is growing by the shooting house.  We've never seen it before.  Anyone know what it is?

thumbnail_IMG_1313.jpg.0579af68d3976c17b3d262721c3f1c3a.jpg

Kind of looks like a small locust tree.  They get bean pods on them and some have purple flowers.  But I'm not too sure from the picture.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

Cleome perhaps?  

It looks kind of similar, but I don't think that's it.  I hope they remember to take a better picture today.  I spent way too long googling yesterday and it's driving me crazy.  I wanna know what it is.

It's Saturday!   I got up when the guys got up.  What was I thinking lol.

Yesterday was the last day that they were going to hunt.  Today is for chores.  For there not being a lot of doves around, they sure managed to get some.

thumbnail_IMG_1320.jpg.b57bcfda90496969d409ec41aec8f6f9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1321.jpg.12f5c2d82e37036107c02f49c3dc2ea4.jpg

Appetizers the same as the day before ....

thumbnail_IMG_1314.jpg.2ff497eb57d8774dc7f03020b75a91c1.jpg

Finally got the bread baked.  

thumbnail_IMG_1315.jpg.659b904de6873a1e3576d407c35ed89b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1316.jpg.9160c554436845fa8abe89f669ad22c1.jpg

Stewed okra (our friend loves okra), shishitos, fries and BLT's 

thumbnail_IMG_1319.jpg.b48812957f038e0febab950a37e0b3c3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1317.jpg.7c57fe802afc0301a25af6056db66b90.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1318.jpg.0f94936c2ea7b64702c681d9878488fa.jpg

I'm off to the garden :) 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

@Shelby

Do you know if all those birds are Mourning Dove, or a mix of other dove species?

We have Mourning, White-wing (migrate to and from Mexico), Inca, Eurasian Collared, Rock (pigeon).   We have  a rather famous dove hunting season here.  The Inca are too small to be game.   Mourning and White-wing are the most popular game birds.  The Eurasion Collared is considered an invasive species and there is a no-bag limit on those, meaning take all you can get.  They are big for dove also.  I don't know about the quality of the meat though, never had the opportunity to try it.

I'm glad the Inca are too small to hunt, they are so beautiful to me.  I feed the neighborhood dove in my yard.  They absolutely love cooked rice for whatever reason.  

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

Cleome perhaps?  

I TAKE IT BACK I TAKE IT BACK!!!

You're right!  I couldn't find a picture with the pod things...but upon seeing the pictures they just sent I think you're spot on!!!  Thank you!!!

thumbnail_IMG_1323.thumb.jpg.a2a7c6921f89a3a31292b976d49f6fd9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1324.thumb.jpg.1e2be4b00ac95be8c1f097e6549da402.jpg

We have a guy that's keeping his cattle in our pasture right now.  This little one is hanging out with the guys.

thumbnail_IMG_1325.thumb.jpg.bd1abc4af9ab8f87a61b85f150864905.jpg

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Shelby

Do you know if all those birds are Mourning Dove, or a mix of other dove species?

We have Mourning, White-wing (migrate to and from Mexico), Inca, Eurasian Collared, Rock (pigeon).   We have  a rather famous dove hunting season here.  The Inca are too small to be game.   Mourning and White-wing are the most popular game birds.  The Eurasion Collared is considered an invasive species and there is a no-bag limit on those, meaning take all you can get.  They are big for dove also.  I don't know about the quality of the meat though, never had the opportunity to try it.

I'm glad the Inca are too small to hunt, they are so beautiful to me.  I feed the neighborhood dove in my yard.  They absolutely love cooked rice for whatever reason.  

They are all Mourning Doves that they get.

I have two pairs of the collared and one pair of rock that hang around here at the house.  They eat the mixed bird seed that I put out on the porch.  I've never eaten any of that kind....my mind thinks they would be tough, but what do I know lol.

I looked up your Inca doves.  They are beautiful!