• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

It's going to take until December for me to get that pan clean lol.

Hell! I would’ve licked it clean had I been there. 

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Your food always looks so good and so inventive that it both shames and inspires me! Most of all, it tempts me to buy a Kansas hunting license and come join the next party! Although I might have company...as noted above you're likely to get a bunch of us crashing it next time, licenses or no.... :)

Many thanks for blogging again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

40 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Your food always looks so good and so inventive that it both shames and inspires me! Most of all, it tempts me to buy a Kansas hunting license and come join the next party! Although I might have company...as noted above you're likely to get a bunch of us crashing it next time, licenses or no.... :)

Many thanks for blogging again!

Thank you!!!  I don't feel very inventive.  I need to plan better and throw in some new things for the December hunt.  I especially want to try some different (but not too complicated) appetizers.  December is always harder because I don't have all the garden veggies.

Just bring your cameras--that way the Dept. of Wildlife won't throw you in the clink for not having a license.  We will explain that you're the official blog photographers.   :raz:

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

What a treat!  I was away all week with no WiFi and a crappy cell signal that could barely load photos so I "saved" this to read once I got home and enjoyed it with my morning coffee today.  It was a delight, as always.  I'm amazed at how much you manage to get done - picking, canning, cooking up a storm (I'd like to have one of everything, please 🙃) and sharing it all with us!  Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'd like to have one of everything, please

I'd gladly share if I could.  My fridge is bursting --in fact, that's a chore I need to do this afternoon sigh.

(ps.  glad you're back home--I know your furry babies missed you bunches!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2019 at 7:19 AM, Shelby said:

Chum had a huge day yesterday.  Ronnie sent me this picture about mid-morning

IMG_0519.JPG.ee6e86f3774b58cdb03adab0a4e7a134.JPG

They shot something like 24 doves and a couple teal...

...I don't think Chum moved off the couch for several hours last night.  Had to wake her to tell her it was time for bed.  Her sleepy self could barely make it upstairs lol.

thumbnail_IMG_6868.jpg.69c0052c796dbeb99a80212e2a2ff0ce.jpg

Who's a good dog? Chum is a good dog, she is!

@Shelby, thanks for including pics in your blog of your beautiful fur baby.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Hi Shelby, I have a friend who was gifted some ducks from this morning’s hunt.  She wants to know how to get rid of any game taste there might be. Do you have any suggestions.  Thanks.

What kind of ducks?

5 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Hi Shelby, I have a friend who was gifted some ducks from this morning’s hunt.  She wants to know how to get rid of any game taste there might be. Do you have any suggestions.  Thanks.

A gastrique with berries. I use lingonberry a lot

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

A gastrique with berries. I use lingonberry a lot

Thanks for the idea.  I will pass it on.

Shelby, she doesn’t know.  She put them in a salt brine with splash of pale cider vinegar and she said that help.  I linked your blogg to her so she will have some ideas as well as the above.  Thanks

8 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Thanks for the idea.  I will pass it on.

Shelby, she doesn’t know.  She put them in a salt brine with splash of pale cider vinegar and she said that help.  I linked your blogg to her so she will have some ideas as well as the above.  Thanks

This link is a very good one--I use his methods a lot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good morning and Happy Day Before Deer Season 2019!

It's been a busy busy fall.  I think Ronnie has hunted more than ever before.  Many early mornings waking up at 4:15 🙃.  Ronnie loves it.  Me?  I like my sleep lol.  Lots of waterfowl.  Not so much on the pheasants and quail.  Maybe due to all of the flooding?  I don't know.  Pheasant season has been on the decline around here for quite some time, though.

I went out a couple times to help Ronnie like I did last year.  Strangely, even with all of the rain earlier this summer, the prime duck hole needed to be filled up again.  I snapped a few pictures.

The windmill and water that we use to prime the pump

thumbnail_IMG_7025.jpg.3ab64962da8c02a7019d85660469d57e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7026.jpg.42587b483994c6dcca09f3329cbb3d82.jpg

We run plastic tubing that draws water from the tub using this pump

thumbnail_IMG_7027.jpg.2006e681fe9d3ed74e5430d3aa376e83.jpg

This tubing runs over a small hill  (truck doors left open--Chum likes to supervise from there)

thumbnail_IMG_7028.jpg.b423fda715213426ef0ba87fe8b5ad05.jpg

and  allows us to prime this pump 

thumbnail_IMG_7032.jpg.04289c75d2e8e349fad7ab5ac087bf49.jpg

That we hook more  tubing to it  that runs water out to the place we want to fill.  It takes a couple days.  Kind of a pain because it was freezing every night and a trip had to be made out each evening to shut it all off so it didn't hurt the pump.

thumbnail_IMG_7029-1.jpg.9c220864ae1196c79e775efe9e3ea5c7.jpg

This year we used clear tubing which was strangely mesmerizing.  I stared at the running bubbles for longer than I care to admit.🤣

IMG_7030.JPG.56172ee0a624af9b0843aeeab759ba5b.JPG

Anyway, all that is set up and good to go.  As usual, there will be major deer hunting and bird hunting this week.  Chum is beside herself with anticipation.  Our hunter is staying an extra day longer than normal.

We went to the big city and got groceries yesterday.  Nothing super exciting except stuff from the Asian Market.  I love that place.  I could spend hours in there.

thumbnail_IMG_7075.jpg.081994b2ce18d987d065d8c0f978cbe0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7076.jpg.4519d4914162768558abd1b4644e1f8f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7077.jpg.b390a6e94fd4e38f7127e38973d56293.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7078.jpg.0651e8650ff538f2eaf550b76fc708b0.jpg

I made egg rolls and froze them a couple days ago.  Needless to say, some kind of Asian dishes will be made between tomorrow and Monday :) 

I put the big head of cabbage in the freezer.  Maybe some cabbage rolls one night?  Freezing the head and then thawing it out makes the leaves super easy to remove and stuff.

I'm off to wash the ceiling fans and lights, clean the extra bedroom, put the flannel sheets on the bed (a special request from our friend lol) and hopefully do some more food prep this afternoon.  If you recall I made a lot of extra beirock filling in September so I need to whip some of those up for lunches.

And, as per usual, the guys have strict instructions to take pictures of anything remotely interesting.  So, here we go!  Deer season 2019!

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

I'm excited to be following along for real this time, rather than just lurking.  This is one of my favourite parts of eGullet!

You've probably mentioned it before, but is Ronnie a full-time hunter?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

So, here we go!  Deer season 2019!

One of your biggest fans here checking in!

Edited by Anna N
Edited to change friends to fans although I do hope I’m your friend too. LOL (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I'm excited to be following along for real this time, rather than just lurking.  This is one of my favourite parts of eGullet!

You've probably mentioned it before, but is Ronnie a full-time hunter?

Hello!  I didn't get a chance to welcome you on your thread so I'll welcome you here :)  Glad you joined and I can't wait to see your dinner posts :) and glad you're along for the week!

Well, he hunts all the time and is very good at it, but it's just because he loves doing it so much.  So, yes he's full-time, but doesn't get paid lol.

50 minutes ago, Anna N said:

One of your biggest fans here checking in!

(((hugs))))  Thanks Anna.  

I was just wishing that I was at the meeting with Rotuts so I could have a brownie.  Or six.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3