• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

54 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Meringue cookies were one of our standby cookies at Christmas, and when I used to do Christmas baking in Duluth I'd include them. Ours always included chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Mind, these were the drop-type meringue cookies, not the flat-and-decorated type that zimtsterrnen seems to be..

Yeah, it's a difference of focus. Yours are meringue cookies with nuts in 'em, while cinnamon stars are nut cookies with enough egg white to hold them together.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

I have no idea how this kind person got my phone number, but he did.  My house phone rang--I never answer it if I don't know the number.  Bless his heart, he called right back so I thought I'd better answer. 

FedEx delivered my chiles last night around 5 to a very different address than mine.  I have no earthly idea how anyone could think this was where they were supposed to deliver.  It wasn't even a house!  

Anyway, the box got rained on all night and was very soggy.  I was scared to open it.

Knock me over with a feather, there was still a tiny piece of dry ice in there

thumbnail_IMG_5576.jpg.095b864ba5830242c7233b4753cc4cb2.jpg

And the peppers are frozen solid!!!

thumbnail_IMG_5577.jpg.b7754af91c6f80f96417ddedb83e3a3f.jpg

***happy dance***

Yeah!!! Happy Day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is very good packaging. Hooray!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 11/30/2018 at 11:58 AM, Shelby said:

Let's see...I think I was last out around the middle of November?  There very well could be additions....

I've actually been waiting for someone to ask me about the pipe on the right hand side of this picture......

thumbnail_IMG_0216.jpg.e6acc642536878abc4cae94c6a752e9a.jpgI

I was sort of afraid to.... with good reason as I see below  😳

• Haha 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Ha - that phrase Dorothy used to Toto in the W of Oz "we're not in Kansas anymore" has a reverse application. Yes we are in Kansas! Life is REAL

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1

But...those pics are in color... :P

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It's the last day already :(

There wasn't anything (except the food, which is coming) to report yesterday.  It rained/drizzled all day long and it was very windy--sustained at like 29mph.  No deer moved around.

Right now, it's still windy, but dry so my fingers are crossed.  Maybe if I say it out loud, it won't come true:   could this be the first time ever that a deer won't be gotten with our hunter here?????  He doesn't have to be to the airport until late this afternoon so there is still time........

On to the food.

The peanuts:

thumbnail_IMG_5579.jpg.bdef22bac0f3e38ddca1980ae149f955.jpg

I studied on- line for about an hour all things boiled peanut.  I should have done this Wednesday when I got them.  They first should be soaked for 24 hours--this didn't happen due to time shortage.  They probably soaked for an hour in super hot water.  I, for the hundredth time, said a little thank- you prayer to the Instant Pot and it's inventors.  I put the soaked peanuts into the IP.  Dumped about 1/2 a cup of salt and at least a 1/4 cup of Cajun Seasoning and then a few shakes of crushed red peppers.  

thumbnail_IMG_5578.jpg.86e3891fd64180c028ba335e7ac34f17.jpg

Then I filled the IP with hot water until the peanuts started floating.  Something needed to be put on top of them to weigh them down so I used one of my steamer baskets.  The quandary I had was how long should I cook them?  I decided to start with 2 hours and then test.  Not done yet so I gave it another hour.  

Perfection.  They could have been spicer for my tastes, but still super good.  I could have eaten these allllllll night long.  

thumbnail_IMG_5585.jpg.ef47e365988b425420cf27e0e2069771.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5586.jpg.8bce3015ef5596b5d71237b74098c82a.jpg

The guys took a huge bag with them hunting to munch on.

While those were doing their thing in the IP I moved on to breakfasts for this morning.  Same thing as before only I added some scalloped potatoes.  I was bragging to myself that I hadn't broken a yolk this whole time, so of course, I broke two yolks.  Thus the extra egg action going on.

thumbnail_IMG_5582.jpg.3ddfc92de9207117f21160d1d78f95cd.jpg

I couldn't resist eating more of those cheeses so I put them out again for appetizers along with onion dip and chips

thumbnail_IMG_5583.jpg.ef34f0107d87d2f149e70ba09a8dfaa4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5584.jpg.eb744cffddb797e50c35ab77f5c977da.jpg

The egg rolls came out of the freezer and into the oil (I was going to air fry but....well, I didn't).

thumbnail_IMG_5588.jpg.67434df8c038dcea976e3b78a6892f06.jpg

Along with @Ann_T's spicy honey garlic chicken

thumbnail_IMG_5589.jpg.b67c648b2d1d90d479aa7657ab20fd41.jpg

I am now off to do a mountain of dishes....after some coffee.....

Cross your fingers and maybe Ronnie and I will be having venison tenderloin tonight....I'll keep you posted......

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

On 11/30/2018 at 1:08 PM, rotuts said:

In France they used to , and might still have 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pissoir

I remember seeing them in all parks etc in the '50's  and less so on the ''60s

as I said , its a Family Web Site

in KS  they seem to be more elegant.

I don't remember seeing them in France, but they still exist in Gent, Belgium. And in Amsterdam, we saw a few port-a-john pissoirs set up on weekends around the squares in January. I guess those of us who are equipped with internal plumbing need to meter our liquid intake more closely?

• Haha 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

@Shelby, your boiled peanuts look good. I admit I've never appreciated them when I've gotten them in a convenience store, but maybe they weren't done nicely. Please tell more about the texture: how crunchy are they compared to roasted peanuts? Do they have a softer exterior?

I hope your hunters don't get skunked! Is this the close of the season, or will Ronnie have a chance still after your friend goes home?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

is the Deer Season Over ?

C*A*R*P

there are a few Tick-Bags around my area.

you can have as many as you like , if you take some Snow  say in Jan, Feb, March.

I can say that as Ive have Lyme disease.

worse than Measles.    I do not recumbent LD

if the deer got rid of their ticks , that would be on thing ......

BTY  Ive never had boiled peanuts.

do you eat the shell ?

must be pretty fought #$E(^#)R^    to take 3 hours in the iPot !

11 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@Shelby, your boiled peanuts look good. I admit I've never appreciated them when I've gotten them in a convenience store, but maybe they weren't done nicely. Please tell more about the texture: how crunchy are they compared to roasted peanuts? Do they have a softer exterior?

I hope your hunters don't get skunked! Is this the close of the season, or will Ronnie have a chance still after your friend goes home?

I read online more than once that people either love boiled peanuts or they hate them lol.

They are much softer than roasted peanuts--both the shells and the nuts.  Kind of like a garbanzo bean only a bit less soft than that.  They take on more of a bean flavor...like a soybean.  Salty and spicy.

There is one more week after this, so I'm sure one will be gotten.  I hope anyway!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

is the Deer Season Over ?

C*A*R*P

there are a few Tick-Bags around my area.

you can have as many as you like , if you take some Snow  say in Jan, Feb, March.

I can say that as Ive have Lyme disease.

worse than Measles.    I do not recumbent LD

if the deer got rid of their ticks , that would be on thing ......

do you eat the shell ?

must be pretty fought #$E(^#)R^    to take 3 hours in the iPot !

We have one more week to go....it's just nice to have two guys to handle the deer and get it loaded etc.  I've never seen a tick on a deer that we've gotten....I think they are all frozen right now ;)

No, you don't eat the shell.  I guess you could for extra fiber.......lol.  Yep, three hours!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

well the LD info is good :

ld.jpg.aac6d60ebb5a89eaba1050b4113e065f.jpg

are the 3 H iP'd peanuts that much better than DryRoasted ?

Im skeptical 

Boiled are so different from roasted peanuts...neither is better than the other, IMO.

My first impression of boiled peanuts (just salty, no spicy) was remarkably like boiled potato-ish.  I dislike peanuts normally, in candy, peanut butter, roasted, toasted, brittled, just don't like them.  Until boiled peanuts.  

Having Hawaiian friends and SW Georgia relatives gives an insight to boiled peanuts.  The ones the Hawaiian's made were from dried uncooked peanuts, the Georgia ones were fresh "green" peanuts right from the field.  I think the "green" peanuts were preferable, but there was not a big difference between the two versions that I could remember off-hand.

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

do you eat the shell ?

I say potato-ish, I think others would describe them more cooked bean-ish.   I split the (very soft) shells and suck the peanut  out, discarding the shell.  Very good with cold beer.

• Like 2

@Shelby

WoW

Duck Crostini !

I think.w the right invitation

Ill need to come next year

I do hope you get a deer or two

and I apologize 

I haven't been wearing my 

Filson Coat :10007-623ntinjacketcombo_2067_general.jpg.f784f24645cd53d5fb6c0f1affd0cd4e.jpg

Tin Cloth !

I like the drainage holes in the back

for the duck Blood !

I just wear mine to the Library.

I have it on now !

so your hunting luck will cange

Im sure

Ill [put the Filson in the dryer a few times on Fluff

add some Filson's  Original 

Oil * Finish * Wax

ftc.thumb.jpg.f2b9c49bf18b025060a5369bca1b6fb8.jpg

one might note i have two tins.

Im sure wearing the Coat will help

cheers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

WoW

Duck Crostini !

I think.w the right invitation

Ill need to come next year

I do hope you get a deer or two

and I apologize 

I haven't been wearing my 

Filson Coat :10007-623ntinjacketcombo_2067_general.jpg.f784f24645cd53d5fb6c0f1affd0cd4e.jpg

Tin Cloth !

I like the drainage holes in the back

for the duck Blood !

I just wear mine to the Library.

I have it on now !

so your hunting luck will cange

Im sure

Ill [put the Filson in the dryer a few times on Fluff

add some Filson's  Original 

Oil * Finish * Wax

ftc.thumb.jpg.f2b9c49bf18b025060a5369bca1b6fb8.jpg

one might note i have two tins.

Im sure wearing the Coat will help

cheers

I love that coat :)

They are back.

No deer.  Sigh.

Now the pressure is on this week.......

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Well, our friend is en route to the airport.  A good time was had even without deer.  We were already discussing plans for this spring for when he comes back.

Thanks so much for keeping me company again.  I really appreciate it!

If and when we get a deer this coming week, I'll document it over here.  And, as usual, I'll be back this coming spring.

Until then I'm having a glass of wine.....and now I have time to play with my Ninja foodi ☺️

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Shelby said:

If and when we get a deer this coming week, I'll document it over here.  And, as usual, I'll be back this coming spring.

Just want to make sure that I understand. Ronnie will hunt alone for a deer? In the next week?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Just want to make sure that I understand. Ronnie will hunt alone for a deer? In the next week?

Yes.  Unless I get my lazy butt up and go with him.....or his brother or another buddy might end up going.  We have one more week before the season closes.  Then starting Jan 1st there is a doe only season that lasts 2 weeks.

29 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Then starting Jan 1st there is a doe only season that lasts 2 weeks.

I am sure you have detailed this before and I forgotten it. But is there a preference for a doe versus a buck in terms of the quality of the meat.  I am guessing that the yield is greater with the buck. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am sure you have detailed this before and I forgotten it. But is there a preference for a doe versus a buck in terms of the quality of the meat.  I am guessing that the yield is greater with the buck. 

Well, my preference is always for a dry doe --which means she's older and doesn't have any young ones and hasn't been reproducing.  

Bucks, while usually bigger with more meat, are tougher due to using their muscles more...meaning fighting and running during mating season which is now--and is called "the rutt".

We've cleaned bucks that literally have almost zero fat on them due to mating season etc.  Does usually have a good layer of fat and are more tender.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2