• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

On 11/27/2018 at 6:29 AM, Shelby said:

One of the things I love about this property is that we own a working windmill.  Maybe not exciting to some of you, but I could sit and watch it for hours.  

IMG_5352.JPG.a5e9e9b9ed9d1494135aef741ab99c91.JPG

IMG_5354.JPG.e9af13b1c28e8e0f3149e63469891949.JPG

As the wind blows it pumps water into the tub.  We have someone who rents this pasture and keeps his cattle on it over the spring, summer and fall and this gives them nice, fresh, cold water.

IMG_5356.JPG.b94bbda9ae2cc93b3a7798e1b646a626.JPG

So, what we did to fill up our spot is run a pump from this water --connected by plastic hose-- to a well and  pump that sits near the tree on the left of the picture.  That was in order to get the second pump primed.  Once that was primed we ran about a million feet of plastic hose out into the middle of the low spot and let 'er run.  This pump puts out about 360 gallons of water per minute and it took about 6 hours to fill the spot up enough for hunting.

IMG_5359.JPG.4956d74e874b9df2b7475b0df2a0f86d.JPG

Woo hoo, girl!

Your windmill is very exciting to me! Sis's property where she keeps her horses has no water down there, so they have to haul it from the house in a tub on a truck. It is really quite ridicules. The town water is only a matter of yards away, but they were told they would have a cheaper solution drilling another well. I want them to get a concrete washing pad for the horses, and running water. They do have electricity, but caring for horses requires onsite water, so your extremely cool windmill is not boring at all!

So glad to see your hunting blog again, and I look forward to it always. :)

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

so they have to haul it from the house in a tub on a truck.

Wow, that would be a huge pain in the butt.  I hope they can get water out there soon!

• Like 1

Good morning!!!!!

I got everything done last night finally.  I think we ate around 8:15.  I'll try to be earlier tonight, but I wouldn't bet money on myself 🤣

Salad

thumbnail_IMG_5547.jpg.2edd83aa8264660f37f085edc0b47f40.jpg

@HungryChris Your marinated mushrooms were the hit of the evening.  I'm surprised there are any left in the jar this morning!

Sauce and venison meatballs

thumbnail_IMG_5548.jpg.01eebe65844408d5cb54df52bd510a0e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5550.jpg.22baeb3f87d25dce7b43a3576e501378.jpg

I need to go downstairs and look at the name of the parmesan cheese that I grated up.  It is from Zingerman's and it was excellent.

Breakfasts for this morning

thumbnail_IMG_5546.jpg.ca89a3538750f30bfe30c082340c234e.jpg

A nap needs to be in order for later today.  Think it will happen?  LOL probably not....but a girl can dream.  Despite me leaving a very nice note reminding the guys to take their phones, wallets, licenses and keys they managed to lock themselves out of the house.   So, I got a text asking me to get up and let them back in.  Couldn't go back to sleep properly after that.

I think my Hatch Chiles will be here today.  Kicking around the idea of making that chiles rellenos casserole along with maybe some tacos.....or I have some nice ducks in the freezer that I could thaw out and roast.....or I could do fish and frog legs.....I dunno......

One thing I do know is that Chum is having a great time.  Got a text from Ronnie saying that she was seeing a lot of deer this morning.

thumbnail_IMG_0216.jpg.6788ac0a72b770eba90fa3262d562660.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 15

I am loving the look of that salad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

@HungryChris Your marinated mushrooms were the hit of the evening.  I'm surprised there are any left in the jar this morning!.

The only mushrooms Deb will eat are stuffed  or sliced in a gravy. She tolerates my marinated mushrooms in the fridge, but that is it. I came up with that method some 15 years ago and she has yet to try one. I can't tell you how gratifying it is to hear that others enjoy them as much as I do!

HC

• Like 8

I got a nap 😁

My Hatch chiles are still supposed to be here, but it's getting late in the day so I've decided not to depend on them.  Fish and frog legs it is for tonight.

@HungryChris  I need to buy more mushrooms!

Nothing has been gotten yet.  They've seen like 15 bucks and 30 some does but I guess the mood hasn't struck yet to get one.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I got a nap 😁

Yay!  I think you earned it!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Happy Friday ya'll!

I think I've lost my mind.  I tried to talk our hunter into staying until Tuesday--supposed to snow on Sunday and I think the hunting will be just fabulous.  We will see if he takes me up on it.  And if Ronnie lets him.  🤣  Just kidding.  They have a ball together.

Anyway, I was way more on the ball last night.  Will it be the same today?  Prolly not.

Around 3 I laid out two different cheeses so they could come to room temperature.  We've never had these.  

They

Are

Amazing

Both from Zingerman's.

Here they are in their packaging:

IMG_5552.JPG.95d93a3b40f4d9ca0cccb99a3680e977.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG.614dc0c50de3e5afb093e820ed974c76.JPG

The Harbison is incredible.  Very brie-like.  It's a runny cheese.  As it says on the label, they wrap it in spruce.  When you taste it you get a hint of the spruce--not enough to be overbearing or anything...just a note.  Our hunter and Ronnie both thought it reminded them of broccoli cheese casserole--in a good way.  I didn't get that but...ok lol.  

The Pleasant Ridge Reserve is indeed buttery.  Kind of like a parmesan only not near as hard.

I am no cheese expert, but I will be buying more of both.

IMG_5556.jpg.23a4d64141adfcde1130ecf721352ef0.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Continued:

To go along with the cheeses, I made the ever famous and ever easy sausage rolls

thumbnail_IMG_5560.jpg.e1a8fa6e59b4cb3c3f7de1fc6eec349c.jpg

And another dish of @HungryChris's mushrooms were requested

thumbnail_IMG_5561.jpg.2658df0fcca2a031365234e3ad385d03.jpg

For dinner I thawed out a mess of frog legs and catfish (catfish came from a near by lake)  Please excuse the Good Doctor's nose....he was extremely interested in the frog.

thumbnail_IMG_5557.jpg.4f533c10b064ab1d0797a08fe8cadcbf.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5558.jpg.2f8c514a7af021f5a7b6a1f76659acff.jpg

I made a light beer batter

thumbnail_IMG_5559.jpg.f525aff047e316f323ee8f9e22aef25b.jpg

And fried 'em up 

thumbnail_IMG_5562.jpg.9643f578222ffcf627dd17b7f6afdcb8.jpg

Mac and cheese, brussel sprouts and homemade cocktail and tarter sauce to go with

thumbnail_IMG_5563.jpg.7441fff60c6419f761980946a53a6194.jpg

And finally the breakfasts for this morning.  Thought they might enjoy a link of boudin to go with it.

IMG_5554.jpg.3a60d96973fdd7154ac7ba25fc1ecf89.jpg

IMG_5555.jpg.ca840b35167e55593e052759250a712d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Wow. I think you might have outdone yourself. If your hunter friend has any sense at all he will stay until hunting season 2019. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby

do the hunters take those breakfasts with them ?

don't tell me they have a Micro in the Hunting Shack  ( HS )

a Personal Beverage cooling system ?

Streaming Netflix   ( The Last Kingdom come to mind )

no wonder they take their time getting a few Deer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

do the hunters take those breakfasts with them ?

don't tell me they have a Micro in the Hunting Shack  ( HS )

a Personal Beverage cooling system ?

Streaming Netflix   ( The Last Kingdom come to mind )

no wonder they take their time getting a few Deer.

Ronnie usually eats his breakfast here at the house.  Our hunter does both.  Sometimes he's not hungry that early in the morning.

No microwave, but they do have a battery powered tv and an antennae for watching football tomorrow.  Oh and they have a little heater that sits on a propane bottle.  

It's quite cozy in there really.

• Like 10

In Minnesota at least, hunting shacks and ice-fishing houses can be quite elaborately set up. No doubt it's the same (except for the ice houses) farther south as well. Those propane heaters are fine implements.

Shelby, I really need to take frying lessons from you. Your fried foods always look so much better than mine!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I knew it !

when was the last time you were out there ?

there might be additions

Let's see...I think I was last out around the middle of November?  There very well could be additions....

I've actually been waiting for someone to ask me about the pipe on the right hand side of this picture......

thumbnail_IMG_0216.jpg.e6acc642536878abc4cae94c6a752e9a.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

I know what it for

but this is a Family Web Site

just s hint :  might be difficult for Girls to use.

laughing.gif.b2aff706d31d155a882e8f350bcbbb6f.gif

😂  

You said it much more eloquently than I.

Do you ever use egg whites as part of the batter for frying? That's what I was up to with stuffed jalapeños recently. 

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Meringue?

...or pavlova! I bet that would wow the guys. :)

• Like 2