• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

31 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You guys keep me inspired and sane during these weeks, so I hope you're not super sick of hearing and seeing me :) :raz: .

That’ll be the day.😂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Yeah, killing, cleaning and cooking the wild Spam.  As usual, this is going to be fun to follow along!

Those wild Spam are tricky to gut. The last thing you want to do is nick the bile duct... :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Spam makes great musubi.

On my list of things to make when I get up the courage to trap yet another can of Spam. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Happy Tuesday everyone!

It's fall!  And it's hunting season!  It's dove and turkey season right now.  Because of the cool weather that has moved in, it seems like most of the doves have moved out, but that doesn't stop them from going lol.  

The Asian market yielded  a few more exciting things

Excited to have some good pork belly and I love those baby eggplants (ideas please for those--something Asian that is a side dish?)

A cold front is coming in this afternoon bringing strong north winds and highs in the upper 60's so I'm looking forward to that.

For the eggplants...you could always cube them and do tempura, but one of my favorite preps is to peel and cube them, toss in a mixture of miso and honey, and roast. Simple. Good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thos little eggplants ar almost too cute to chop up. They scream "stuff" me".  Here is an interesting video where the cuties are sliced partway in 4 and the stuffing "stuffed" in between the sections. A mixture like what you put in your egg rolls maybe?  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

Thos little eggplants ar almost too cute to chop up. They scream "stuff" me".  Here is an interesting video where the cuties are sliced partway in 4 and the stuffing "stuffed" in between the sections. A mixture like what you put in your egg rolls maybe?  

Ooooh this looks interesting.  I had the same thought re: cutting them up.  They are adorable.  I think I'd feel bad if I did........

not to change the topic 

too much 

don't get me wrong about this

but this year

Hunting is gong to be connected to 

eventual SousVide,  via the ChamberVac

now thats

something new for eG 

suprise.gif.66ec13e2d0592b82f26ef4ae423be5fc.gif

money-mouth.gif.86a298f0007feebe17fb14b32051e49c.gif

I decided not to look up the Times and Temps

for Deer Hooves 

Id not let Chum look this over

dogs love hooves !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Hunting is gong to be connected to 

eventual SousVide,  via the ChamberVac

now thats

something new for eG 

😁

Speaking of this, I just successfully changed the oil in the VacMaster.  It was my first time and I was kind of nervous but it was so easy!

IMG_5192.JPG.a87899ca202e24935fecb6047f48a594.JPG

Also speaking of this, I'm thinking about compressing some watermelon and putting some rum in the bag.  Our hunter is a rum drinker.  Plain rum?  I have coconut rum too.....anyone done this?

This guy just got brought up from the watermelon patch and is just begging to be compressed.

IMG_5193.JPG.8fb2e31d93891562d6b04807a6527119.JPG

• Like 4

Like this only with rum...I'd use white:

Vodka Infusion

• 250 g water
  • 125 g sugar
  • 125 g vodka

Preparation:

All three infusions follow the same general pattern of preparation.

•  Heat the water and sugar over medium high heat, stirring to dissolve all the sugar
  • Once the mixture has come to a simmer, remove from heat and add the flavoring of choice (basil, vinegar, vodka)
  • Allow the mixture to steep while it cools to room temperature.  Remove and discard basil if using.
  • Vacuum seal the watermelon cubes with the infused syrup in a chamber vacuum sealer. Unfortunately the displacement method of air removal is not effective here as you want the vacuum to compress the watermelon while simultaneously driving liquid into the fruit.
  • Allow to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes
  • Thanks 1