• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

16 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Yes, all the food looks amazing!  Now I have a serious want on for pork belly; chips and onion soup dip as well as a sandwich.

You can have that, I'm jonesing for crappie. 

• Haha 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

38 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

All the food looks wonderful. I love the bench! And the garden is looking good, too. Perfect to have a place to sit and watch it grow. Though I know that Chum secretly believes that bench was built just for her.  xD

Would love to see the new porch, if you are willing to share a photo. 

How many freezers do you have? 

Thank you!  I love this time of year when I am motivated  can keep the garden looking nice.

Yeah, we don't let on that the bench isn't for her.

I'll snap a picture when we get the grill put together and put on the porch :) 

We have a deep chest freezer in the garage, an upright freezer in the basement and two fridges with freezers.  So four ?  Or two and two halves? xD

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Nothing yet has had the power to inspire me to haul out mine.   I console myself with knowing is still in mint (collectors’) condition.

I usually pull mine out when the grandkids are here, and it becomes a hands-on project/edible craft. They love it.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I usually pull mine out when the grandkids are here, and it becomes a hands-on project/edible craft. They love it.

Missed that window.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

@Shelby I adore Chum

Thank you!!!  She is pretty amazing :x

Happy Saturday ya'll (and Happy Preakness Day to any horse racing fans)

Another busy day on tap. Had a storm last night and got some much needed rain so we don't have to water the garden--YAY.

The guys came home with some really nice fish 3 big catfish, some white bass and a wiper I think.  I forgot to take pictures of the fish before they cleaned them :$ but here they are after

IMG_4634.jpg.3b6af5249c28bcc4bad951677ade01e6.jpg

The usual breakfast got made

IMG_4635.JPG.4aaf25c31f29f98729c4970b91e86ccf.JPG

They had such a late lunch that no one wanted any appetizer type stuff so we skipped that last night and went right into dinner :)

Fried catfish and frog legs

IMG_4637.jpg.d90985a41b6573016ac5f5c8124c25af.jpg

Asparagus from the garden

IMG_4636.JPG.77843387b501d7b22db41529f16be92e.JPG

My plate

IMG_4638.jpg.c1e2a01083bb2b7d51cfce14cce5933f.jpg

I gotta hurry up and get outside to do my chores before it gets too hot.  Be back later :)

• Like 17

Good morning!

I can't believe how fast time flies.  I don't think I sat down yesterday until I was eating dinner.  Between cooking and horse racing it was a full day.

The final touches were put on the porch.  It looks so pretty.

IMG_4647.JPG.9fcb7c9d21d7523b031a495eb6251298.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG.2de700c3219fa7969d3a3c74a9b111cb.JPG

Just a couple three pictures --after all, it is the holder of the new Weber :)

IMG_4643.JPG.00de2abcf4d33eb5ec3e4bbe10265534.JPG

They even built me new bird feeders out of the old porch wood.

IMG_4648.JPG.d417aafe6d2592fadf32fcc7a545e1d0.JPG

After all that hard work, the guys were hungry so I made some sausage rolls  with some jalapeño mustard for dipping and set out some pimento cheese and celery

IMG_4642.JPG.453e1fa966db40dce5d71d907a21b3a8.JPG

IMG_4640.JPG.7fe0b70ae07c57be666992c4cc0e81c6.JPG

Of course, we had to break in the new grill last night so we had venison burgers.  I had made some of @cyalexa's buns and put them in the freezer--I was glad to be ahead of the game for once in my life :D

I made potato salad

IMG_4639.jpg.6db182ea7598315975176e43d807d078.jpg

Broccoli salad

IMG_4641.JPG.7838b5bbaf2b17d4b6dea725dab4bb11.JPG

And our friend did the burgers and an onion that went on the side

IMG_4644.jpg.c9db83840d89ad37e2b5bb7fd08db8ee.jpg

IMG_4645.JPG.9932947ea8a2ad885006c301bf21b499.JPG

IMG_4646.JPG.e283e029f8aed7c29a17cec6365507fd.JPG

Best burger ever!

And that's it for this trip.  He will be back in September for dove and duck season.

Until then, if you need me, I'll be sitting on my new porch :)

• Like 20
  • Delicious 1

Thank you so much. I could not manage all that you manage for sure. I get tired just thinking about it and for you to share it with us I think is a huge privilege.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thank you so much. I could not manage all that you manage for sure. I get tired just thinking about it and for you to share it with us I think is a huge privilege.

Anna, you run circles around me.  

I'm really tired today.  I have a family thing I have to go to and then I hope to have a big nap.  It's bad when you wake up in the morning and the first thing you think about is when you can lay down again. xD

And, it is I that thank you guys for being here with me--you keep me sane, and motivated at the same time :)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@Shelby

What an outstanding Deck !

Congratulations !

it looks to me like PT lumber.

I approve.  Mine is like that , but much older

turns a nice med. grey if you can wait and leave it untreated.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

What an outstanding Deck !

Congratulations !

it looks to me like PT lumber.

I approve.  Mine is like that , but much older

turns a nice med. grey if you can wait and leave it untreated.

Yes it's treated--I think I would like the grey color, but we've also tossed around the idea of staining it this fall.  DEFINITELY NOT painting it.  It goes good with the new Weber :) 

as an Experienced Outdoors Wood'sMan

ie Pallets , and stuff like that 

PT-W is wet.  and its the Center-Cut 

and it might warp.

let it dry completely before you decide.

that might be next spring or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Yes it's treated--I think I would like the grey color, but we've also tossed around the idea of staining it this fall.  DEFINITELY NOT painting it.  It goes good with the new Weber :) 

It's a stunning porch/deck. I love the finishing details and it looks so spacious. What a lovely place to sit and enjoy the morning/day/evening, I think I'd be out there all the time! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Great looking burgers and a fine way to break in a new deck and Weber. 

58 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

It's a stunning porch/deck. I love the finishing details and it looks so spacious. What a lovely place to sit and enjoy the morning/day/evening, I think I'd be out there all the time! 

12 minutes ago, Mmmpomps said:

Thanks Shelby I LOVE reading these glimpses in your life!!!!

Thanks, guys. 

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to take a nap, or pour a glass of wine and sit out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Take the glass of wine and sit...you will nap in no time ;)

Thanks, guys. 

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to take a nap, or pour a glass of wine and sit out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I vote wine. 

It's 88F and steamy here after several days of rain. I've been doing yard work all day. I'm getting too old for this. Ribs are on the Weber and I'll enjoy some beers on the patio later this evening. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

36 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

I vote wine. 

It's 88F and steamy here after several days of rain. I've been doing yard work all day. I'm getting too old for this. Ribs are on the Weber and I'll enjoy some beers on the patio later this evening. 

I compromised with myself.  30 minute nap.  Now time to sit on the porch.

I'll come over for ribs after a few more glasses of wine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...

Happy Tuesday everyone!

It's fall!  And it's hunting season!  It's dove and turkey season right now.  Because of the cool weather that has moved in, it seems like most of the doves have moved out, but that doesn't stop them from going lol.  

Our hunter comes in tomorrow morning.  As usual, I have no idea what this week will bring, but they have strict instructions to take pictures.

You guys keep me inspired and sane during these weeks, so I hope you're not super sick of hearing and seeing me :) :raz: .

We picked the pumpkins a few days ago.  There are more on the vines that aren't quite orange yet.  One is HUGE.  Probably 60 lbs.

IMG_5180.JPG.b3e00d093f27bd47a3917ebad8bb0370.JPG

I love the bumpy guy on top....I have no idea why he's bumpy.  He's the only one like that.

IMG_5181.JPG.f654b1ffd4afc1b95a88e1cfa7580d1a.JPG

Yesterday we went to the big city and hit Dillon's and the Asian market.  Then I spent the afternoon cleaning and rearranging the fridge.  Nothing super exciting from Dillon's ...just the usual grocery store stuff....except, inspired by @Anna N, this landed in the cart

IMG_5188.JPG.75f58555bb1790a8d44e8764d305b592.JPG

Ronnie was horrified.:P

The Asian market yielded  a few more exciting things

IMG_5184.JPG.391df76bbacc3a86b1bf4f219f948fbb.JPG

IMG_5186.JPG.14e500549240e2e420a4d9ce6f9ef31f.JPG

Excited to have some good pork belly and I love those baby eggplants (ideas please for those--something Asian that is a side dish?)

A cold front is coming in this afternoon bringing strong north winds and highs in the upper 60's so I'm looking forward to that.

I have some major cleaning to do today interspersed with baking and hopefully finding a turkey breast in the freezer to SV and smoke.  

p.s. forgive the dirt yard in the background of the pumpkins--Ronnie has planted grass seed and it hasn't sprouted yet.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 16

29 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie was horrified.:P

I can imagine he must have been!

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog