• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

For what it's worth, I have used sous vide on deer meat - it was an old round steak that had been vacuum sealed and forgetten, I think - and it came out delicious despite its inauspicious handling.  Unfortunately I don't remember what I did for time and temperature.  You're so far ahead of me in the SV experience department that you'll do better following your instincts than my guesses.

Thank you so much for bringin' us along on this huntin' trip!  Now go enjoy that wine. :)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 5 months later...

I guess this isn't such a smallish blog anymore :P

Our hunter/fisher friend will be here in a few hours.  

The boat is hooked up to the truck just waiting to be taken to a lake :) .  Along with fishing I think there will be some bigger type chores that he's going to help Ronnie with around here.

Poison ivy absolutely loves me--I don't absolutely love it--and I found myself immersed in it while trying to cut a tree out of the front by the porch.  I usually have a few patches on me, but this is an epic bout.  So, that will add to the fun lol.  I even have it in-between my fingers.  Anyway, that's my poor me story for the week lol.

We went to Sam's yesterday to stock up on some food items and then did some stuff around the house.  Ronnie spotted these steaks in the meat section and I had thought to save them for sometime later this week, but they looked so good and it's so easy to toss them in the water and then have dinner in a  couple hours.  So, steaks with baked taters last night.

IMG_4563.JPG.8ea8a3125165118315b3946730e893df.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG.7d1d8a9a426d8cc5a93a1888323564c0.JPG

IMG_4565.jpg.a3d54764f46933c78ed0bb141b7289ae.jpg

I'm off to do some weeding in the garden...it never ends.

I'll be back in a bit :)

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 14

Wonderful, wonderful. I love a good blog!

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks like an excellent dinner! I especially like the way you put the broccoli and mushrooms on the potatoes. Makes 'em look more healthful, dontcha know. ;) Is there also cheese on those mushrooms, or is that a sauce of some sort?

I'm still trying to convince my darling that sous vide is a good start for steaks. What time and temp did you use for the steaks? Did you sear them afterward?

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

37 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That looks like an excellent dinner! I especially like the way you put the broccoli and mushrooms on the potatoes. Makes 'em look more healthful, dontcha know. ;) Is there also cheese on those mushrooms, or is that a sauce of some sort?

I'm still trying to convince my darling that sous vide is a good start for steaks. What time and temp did you use for the steaks? Did you sear them afterward?

Yeah.....more healthy....yeah.....:P  .  I used something that would probably make a lot of EG people run screaming--it's called Cheesy Melt (it's an off-brand of a Velveeta like substance).  I just didn't have the energy to make a "real" cheese sauce.

I know your husband would love a sous vide steak.  I like mine very rare.  Ronnie likes his on the rare side of medium rare so I do 125F for 2 1/2 hours.  If I had made these when our friend is here, I would have had them fire up the grill and sear them on that, but because it's just us, I used a cast iron skillet and got it super hot.  I barely sear mine....I'm always afraid I'll over do it.  Ronnie gets a good sear on his.

• Like 2

I think this poison ivy has infected my brain.

I had the hardest time remembering to take pictures yesterday.  But, I did get some :)

The guys have ripped off my old porch and are starting to rebuild it.  It will be nice to be able to use the railing without fear of it falling off.

I haven't planned very well--but I guess that will make it a more interesting week lol.

Because the guys are working around here so much, I needed to have sandwich fixings for lunches.  If it was winter time, I'd do chili or a soup, but no one wants a big steaming bowl of soup after working in 90 degree weather.  Anyway, I had Ronnie brine and cold smoke a couple of  domestic turkey breasts and then I sous vide them.  He smoked them at 170F for about 4 hours and then I sous vide them at 142.5F for six hours.  Perfect for slicing thin for lunch meat.

IMG_4522.JPG.ea7eb08f3aca0ab8a4f387e929278e08.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG.1f052b62886b2c41e20677b75fb29fbb.JPG

Then of course I needed some bread, so yesterday around noon I made some white bread dough and let it rise for a couple of hours.  

This is before the rise.

IMG_4569.JPG.f225da6a6f6a0edfa4f92d3be6204297.JPG

Then divided into the pans to rise again

IMG_4579.jpg.c56ce48896b9f9219368e78bfe6db2cf.jpg

I baked them in the CSO.  

IMG_4581.JPG.7963370175d113540650bbcdf1e7bb29.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Then, I texted the guys and asked them if they wanted Italian or Mexican for dinner.  I didn't get a response so I opted for Italian.  

I was just starting to make the sauce when I I got a text back.  They wanted Mexican.

Of course lol.

So, I decided to continue and get the sauce done.  We'll have it tonight.  It's better the next day anyway.

Last summer I dehydrated a bunch of zucchini.  I opened a package of that and threw the "chips" into some hot water to hydrate them.  I'm not sure if that step was needed because the sauce might have done the job on it's own.  Anyway, here they are in some butter with some onion.

IMG_4575.jpg.bfe0a21efbbc0e0d01e2c68169ceaf88.jpg

I like to roast an eggplant over the flames of my stove burner and add it.  Gives the sauce a bit more depth (that sounded super chefy).  Also, I keep those little bottles of red and white wine for cooking with.

IMG_4576.JPG.032d8d5df5c522a325ad8e72384829b3.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG.e16fbebc0feaa0ce81a82d5226e66dcd.JPG

Italians and others who make their sauce the traditional way may not want to read further lol.  After cooking the squash and onions down, I added the wine, cooked it down and then added the eggplant.  And two beef bouillon cubes.  Gives it a little something.  Garlic, oregano, basil, black pepper were the spices used. Next the tomatoes were added and the heat was turned down to let it merrily simmer away.

It needs to cook down more which I will do here in a bit.

IMG_4578.jpg.27bcb4ca3f22701ed0d446e4311c1d08.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 11

Even though the guys didn't get up super early, I still decided to go ahead and make them their breakfast last night.  Toasted bagels, thinly sliced ham, eggs from the chickens down the road and pepper jack cheese.

I broke one of the yolks so someone got two eggs.

IMG_4584.jpg.8a8af24ff3b2e619a1bc41d5c6490698.jpg

For appetizers I made some queso using some Rotel tomatoes--I did add some real cheese to the fake Velveeta.....does that count for anything?xD 

IMG_4586.JPG.0ad10a5b01fe52cfc23641821e2bb8f0.JPG

And I opened up a jar of this salsa.  If you don't have good tomatoes to make your own, this stuff is the next best thing, IMO.

IMG_4583.JPG.b17e3f9d8dd3c7f98899a2ec13c34ee5.JPG

I decided to make taco salads--I needed something easy.  A couple of packages of venison burger were excavated from the freezer and thawed.  I added the usual taco meat seasonings and fried it up.  I used flour tortilla shells and baked them in the CSO at 350F for about 10 minutes.  The toppings were the usual--lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, olives, cheese.

To go with I roasted some poblano peppers on the stove (I got my new stove dirty :o)

IMG_4585.JPG.b78eda4162604dfae2b766bba3534c8e.JPG

These got peeled and sliced open after they cooled.   Then I put them in a pie plate and stuffed them with sharp cheddar.  I doctored up some canned enchilada sauce and poured it over the top.  Baked until bubbly.  Easy peasy, but super good.   OH and I also did some RG beans in the Instant Pot.  Love me some Rancho Gordo.

IMG_4587.jpg.c745b23c71662fcbc345a7a489c6f85f.jpg

So that's yesterday.  I'm now looking at the clock and realizing I better get a move on so I can start lunch in a bit.

See you after while :) 

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 16

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

GeeWizz

w food like that

Id stay and have seconds

then maybe have a nap and get ready for Dinner !

Heck, I think I'd volunteer for the building projects for food like that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Even though the guys didn't get up super early, I still decided to go ahead and make them their breakfast last night.  Toasted bagels, thinly sliced ham, eggs from the chickens down the road and pepper jack cheese.

IMG_4584.jpg.8a8af24ff3b2e619a1bc41d5c6490698.jpg

For appetizers I made some queso using some Rotel tomatoes--I did add some real cheese to the fake Velveeta.....does that count for anything?xD 

IMG_4586.JPG.0ad10a5b01fe52cfc23641821e2bb8f0.JPG

And I opened up a jar of this salsa.  If you don't have good tomatoes to make your own, this stuff is the next best thing, IMO.

IMG_4583.JPG.b17e3f9d8dd3c7f98899a2ec13c34ee5.JPG

I decided to make taco salads--I needed something easy.  A couple of packages of venison burger were excavated from the freezer and thawed.  I added the usual taco meat seasonings and fried it up.  I used flour tortilla shells and baked them in the CSO at 350F for about 10 minutes.  The toppings were the usual--lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, olives, cheese.

To go with I roasted some poblano peppers on the stove (I got my new stove dirty :o)

IMG_4585.JPG.b78eda4162604dfae2b766bba3534c8e.JPG

These got peeled and sliced open after they cooled.   Then I put them in a pie plate and stuffed them with sharp cheddar.  I doctored up some canned enchilada sauce and poured it over the top.  Baked until bubbly.  Easy peasy, but super good.   OH and I also did some RG beans in the Instant Pot.  Love me some Rancho Gordo.

IMG_4587.jpg.c745b23c71662fcbc345a7a489c6f85f.jpg

So that's yesterday.  I'm now looking at the clock and realizing I better get a move on so I can start lunch in a bit.

See you after while :) 

Do you have those forms you drape the tortillas over and bake to form the bowls?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Beautiful looking eggs!   Even the broken one.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning!

I can't believe how fast this new porch is being built.  

Not sure where the guys are right now.....we've had a raccoon infestation here and they have been setting live traps to catch and relocate them so that's maybe what they are up to.

Anyway, on to the food :)

They really liked the ham and egg sandwiches that I made yesterday, so I did the same thing for this morning.  

IMG_4590.JPG.177350371a9f61bb4ce4e70623482f59.JPG

They haven't eaten them yet and it's all I can do not to go get one and eat it myself.  I'm hungry.

So, as you know, last night was spaghetti night with venison meatballs.  I hauled out the pasta maker and made some dough.

IMG_4591.JPG.3f5d9eeb9e9279e950f9bfa7c2e8697a.JPG

I used to drape pasta all over the kitchen.  This holder is much much easier.

IMG_4592.JPG.5293bc70f8c5d95f843f86f4830c63a5.JPG

Sauce and  meatballs

IMG_4593.JPG.dba6ead4cc1da52d3708ca14c5bbffed.JPG

The usual salad

IMG_4594.jpg.e54453230e660e0e6d212abf75a997bf.jpg

Our friends' plate

IMG_4595.jpg.476bf542de5ffac6454653e09705acbb.jpg

My plate

IMG_4597.jpg.b0530f0838abfd40acb342261ef08c5c.jpg

I am debating.....pork roast in the slow cooker, or @Ann_T honey garlic chicken and some pork belly and egg rolls...pork roast is easier....but.....hmmm........

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

That spaghetti looks wonderful. You inspire me to haul out my pasta maker - just as soon as I have time. As to this:

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I am debating.....pork roast in the slow cooker, or @Ann_T honey garlic chicken and some pork belly and egg rolls...pork roast is easier....but.....hmmm........

...well, you can do one today and another tomorrow and...maybe by then I can be there for the remainder of the building party! xD

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

That spaghetti looks wonderful. You inspire me to haul out my pasta maker - just as soon as I have time. As to this:

...well, you can do one today and another tomorrow and...maybe by then I can be there for the remainder of the building party! xD

Well, yeah, I could, but I'm hoping they will take some time off and go fishing tomorrow.....I am hungry for fried fish...and I have some frog legs......  So much food, so little time lol.

I forgot to mention this, but Tuesday, just after our friend arrived, my UPS man pulled up and out of the brown van came a Weber grill!  Our friend bought it for us.  Yes, he does waaaaaaaaaay too much for us.  So, I think we will have venison burgers on Saturday night.  It's been quite a long time since I've had a burger from the grill.  I'm already dreaming about it. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well, yeah, I could, but I'm hoping they will take some time off and go fishing tomorrow.....I am hungry for fried fish...and I have some frog legs......  So much food, so little time lol.

I forgot to mention this, but Tuesday, just after our friend arrived, my UPS man pulled up and out of the brown van came a Weber grill!  Our friend bought it for us.  Yes, he does waaaaaaaaaay too much for us.  So, I think we will have venison burgers on Saturday night.  It's been quite a long time since I've had a burger from the grill.  I'm already dreaming about it. 

Ooh, lucky you! Which version? (We got a Weber gas grill as a wedding gift. Nearly 20 years later, it's still going strong!)

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

7 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Ooh, lucky you! Which version? (We got a Weber gas grill as a wedding gift. Nearly 20 years later, it's still going strong!)

Thank you!!!

Our existing grill....is pretty sad looking.  It will be so nice to have this one.  I still can't believe he did this for us.

IMG_4598.JPG.2297f1a358870fe919e36aacfb96eb6d.JPG

• Like 10