• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

Hello :)  My name is Shelby and I'm once again tired lol.  My brave hunters have already hit they hay.  I must say that I'm jealous.  I'm up doing dishes and posting a few pictures.

This will be their breakfast early in the morning

PB301331.JPG

It's been SO warm here that the cilantro has been prolific.  I picked a bunch to use for dinner tonight

PB301332.JPG

Appetizers--salsa made from my canned tomatoes. And chips and guacamole--I love me some gooooood guac.

PB301333.JPG

PB301336.JPG

Pork enchiladas.......yum.

And  a little preview lol

Venison heart and the tenderloins :)

PB301335.JPG

• Like 13

I'm so sorry...I'm tired.   I am old lol.  More tomorrow....Have a restful night with sweet dreams my friends!

OHHHH I almost forgot. My hunter, Ronnie and I had a shot of the egg nog.   It's a hit :)

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

So they got a deer?  And cleaned it already?  those hunters are so lucky you are feeding them all of your delicious food

Yep, they got a deer.  There will be at least one more probably.  I have no idea how many permits they have this year.  We can get several land-owners permits. Hopefully they don't go crazy.  I'd have to buy another freezer. O.o

The deer has been gutted and the tenderloins have been taken out (they dry out if you leave them in) and it's hanging in my garage.  I don't know when we will cut it up....it's fine hanging for a few days since it's cold.

Sooooo, without further delay here is a step by step pictorial of them gutting the deer--this would normally happen in the field, but they kindly came home and did it in the garage so we could see pictures :) :

Oh and this might be too graphic for some.....so scroll past this if it is.

First you have to the the guts out (liver, stomach etc.)

PB300071.JPG

PB300072.JPG

PB300073.JPG

PB300074.JPG

PB300075.JPG

PB300076.JPG

PB300077.JPG

PB300078.JPG

PB300079.JPGPB300080.JPG

PB300081.JPGPB300082.JPG

PB300083.JPG

PB300084.JPG

PB300085.JPG

PB300086.JPG

PB300087.JPG

PB300088.JPG

Then you remove the tenderloins....not to be confused with the backstrap.  The tenderloins are the most coveted part to eat in my house lol.

PB300089.JPG

PB300090.JPG

PB300092.JPG

PB300091.JPG

PB300094.JPG

And that's all there is to it!  

Except if this were your first deer, you would be required to eat that heart raw.

Just kidding.

Sort of.

No, really, just kidding.:P

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 12

I have eaten most every portion of deer there is, except for heart. What's the taste/texture like?

Wonder if anyone uses deer intestines like tripe/chitterlings? (I eat neither one, so it wouldn't much matter  to me if they did.)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

I have eaten most every portion of deer there is, except for heart. What's the taste/texture like?

Wonder if anyone uses deer intestines like tripe/chitterlings? (I eat neither one, so it wouldn't much matter  to me if they did.)

I don't know exactly....we grind it up in the burger mix.  It feels exactly like beef heart though.  I'm pretty sure I've seen use of the intestines in one of my cookbooks.  It's quite a process to clean them.  I think I'll skip lol.

Hmmm...maybe I should google and see if I can find something fun to do with the heart.......

• Like 2

Well that cleared up the overriding question in my mind which was,  "Don't you hang these things?"   That's about as much as I know about game. It is obvious to me that one needs a great deal of knowledge to deal effectively, safely  and humanely with the bounty of the hunters. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Yep, they got a deer.  There will be at least one more probably.  I have no idea how many permits they have this year.  We can get several land-owners permits. Hopefully they don't go crazy.  I'd have to buy another freezer. O.o

The deer has been gutted and the tenderloins have been taken out (they dry out if you leave them in) and it's hanging in my garage.  I don't know when we will cut it up....it's fine hanging for a few days since it's cold.

Sooooo, without further delay here is a step by step pictorial of them gutting the deer--this would normally happen in the field, but they kindly came home and did it in the garage so we could see pictures :) :

Oh and this might be too graphic for some.....so scroll past this if it is.

First you have to the the guts out (liver, stomach etc.)

PB300071.JPG

PB300072.JPG

PB300073.JPG

PB300074.JPG

PB300075.JPG

PB300076.JPG

PB300077.JPG

PB300078.JPG

PB300079.JPGPB300080.JPG

PB300081.JPGPB300082.JPG

PB300083.JPG

PB300084.JPG

PB300085.JPG

PB300086.JPG

PB300087.JPG

PB300088.JPG

Then you remove the tenderloins....not to be confused with the backstrap.  The tenderloins are the most coveted part to eat in my house lol.

PB300089.JPG

PB300090.JPG

PB300092.JPG

PB300091.JPG

PB300094.JPG

And that's all there is to it!  

Except if this were your first deer, you would be required to eat that heart raw.

Just kidding.

Sort of.

No, really, just kidding.:P

I'm wonder what is the difference between the tenderloins and the backstrap?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, catdaddy said:

I'm wonder what is the difference between the tenderloins and the backstrap?

The tenderloin is inside the body cavity near the pelvic region---it is a lot smaller than the backstrap.  The backstrap is outside of the body cavity on both sides of the spine and is much longer and wider than the tenderloin.  Both are excellent, but the tenderloin is...well, more tender lol.  

I will show pictures later on of the cutting up process or if you peruse my 2011 winter blog you'll see some pictures.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

Just now, ElsieD said:

Pardon my ignorance but what, if anything, do you do with the hide?

Not ignorant at all!!!  A few years ago Ronnie tried to salt it and save it.......that experiment didn't go so well.  One of the dogs drug it off and ate on it lol.  Ours get tossed out with the guts down by the river.  Makes a tasty treat for the coyotes.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Not ignorant at all!!!  A few years ago Ronnie tried to salt it and save it.......that experiment didn't go so well.  One of the dogs drug it off and ate on it lol.  Ours get tossed out with the guts down by the river.  Makes a tasty treat for the coyotes.  

Aren't there drop-off programs for the hides? In Minnesota we have drop-off boxes set up so hunters who don't want the hides can donate them (preferably rolled and wrapped neatly). The hides are tanned and used for leather; the proceeds go for some charitable organization.  (Hides for Habitat? I've forgotten.)

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That is quite a hunk of liver.  Pâté????

I know, right O.o

I might save the next one......it's a LOT of liver.

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Aren't there drop-off programs for the hides? In Minnesota we have drop-off boxes set up so hunters who don't want the hides can donate them (preferably rolled and wrapped neatly). The hides are tanned and used for leather; the proceeds go for some charitable organization.  (Hides for Habitat? I've forgotten.)

I've never heard of that!  It's a great idea, though.

• Like 1

Happy Friday, ya'll!

The hunters returned empty handed yesterday.  They did take a couple of pictures of where they hunt......Ronnie built it and they call it "the shootin' house".  It's a nice little place to sit and watch for deer.  

PC010101.JPG

PC010103.JPG

Chum has her own chair to sit in while she scans the area.  

PC010105.JPG

PC010106.JPG

Meanwhile, I puttered around the kitchen all afternoon.  I got some bread made.

PC011338.JPG

I made SV'd pork loin for dinner last night, so since I had it all set up I decided to clean the deer heart and throw it in the water bath, too.  I'm going to do it for 30 hours at 135F.  We'll see how it turns out.  I love both of my SV machines (that what I call 'em) but the Anova is SO quiet compared to the Gourmia.

Pork

PC011340.JPG

Venison heart

PC011337.JPG

PC011341.JPG

Eggs, pickle roll-ups and some pickled okra for snacking on

PC011339.JPG

And dinner.  The very last of the Silver Queen corn.  

PC011344.JPG

That pork was sooooo tender.

Now, I need to do some studying.  I can't get my iPhone 4 to connect to the Anova.....

• Like 10

knowing a little about Labradors who understand retrieving , I bet she's UtraAlert

why does she go Deer hunting ?

it is because if she didn't and saw some hunters leave the house without her who'd go Nuts ?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

knowing a little about Labradors who understand retrieving , I bet she's UtraAlert

it is because if she didn't and saw some hunters leave the house without her who'd go Nuts ?

You should see and hear her when she doesn't get to go.  She literally walks around the house groaning and stopping at every window to see if they are home yet.  She went because they did some duck/goose hunting that morning.

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby  

Id like your Rx for the breads you bake in the CSB ....

maybe consider the Bread Topic Thread ?

thanks

It's the easiest bread to make and I'm asked to bring it to every family dinner.  I have to pretend like it's really hard to make so that they don't know how easy it is lol.

I do all of this in my Kitchenaid mixer

2 ¼ c. warm water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp yeast
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
5 ½ -6 cups flour-stirred before measured

First dissolve sugar and yeast in the warm water. Let this proof—or sit for a few minutes until it bubbles. Then add salt, oil and 3 cups of flour and beat well.  Add in 2 1/2 -3 more cups of flour. The dough should clean off the sides of the bowl and not be too sticky. Knead for a few minutes. Leave the dough in the mixer to rest for 10 minutes and then stir it down (turn on your mixer for 10 seconds) and then allow to rest another 10 minutes. Repeat for a total of 5 times.  Divide into 2 equal parts. Roll each part into a 9×13 rectangle. Roll dough up, starting from long edge of loaf to seal. Arrange seam side down on baking sheet that’s been sprinkled with corn meal or on a piece of parchment paper, allowing room for both loaves. Repeat with second part of dough. With a sharp knife, cut 3 gashes at an angle on the top of each. Cover lightly; allow to rise 30 minutes. Brush entire surface with egg wash (one egg beaten slightly with 1 Tbsp of water). If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30 minutes at 375. Cool on racks

This bakes up really well in the CSO.  I use the pan that came with it and put parchment on it.  If you make it in there, proof it for 25 mins. at 100F using the steam function and then bake it at 375F for 20 mins. using the bread function.

• Like 5

Not trying to derail the thread, but one quick bread question, are you using the paddle or the dough hook on your KA?

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

They might do Something Interesting WITHOUT HER. This is not to be tolerated. :D

I love that she has her own chair.

• Like 5