• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

group of Hunters,  Nice.    Hungry .   would probably eat anything,   

Excelent way to get rid of all your eggplant.

esp. if you covered it all up w sauce , then some melted cheese.    

you could put anything under that.

smart.  

suprise.gif

LOL now you've spilled my secret!

Happy Friday, everyone! 

I didn't do the dishes last night.  I hate it when I do that.  So that's what's up right now.  

The great hunters went dove hunting again so we'll see what they bring home today.  I was secretly hoping they would fish, but oh well.

I'll be slowly getting things together for tonight.  Be back later :)

• Like 7

I skip the dishes often when we have company.  For some reason, my five year old child's  brain pops up and tell me not to worry, the dish washing fairy is bound to show up this time.  As usual, I'm punked once again.  Most of the time, I'm glad I put it off anyway.   Seldom have guests but always have dirty dished.  

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, IowaDee said:

I skip the dishes often when we have company.  For some reason, my five year old child's  brain pops up and tell me not to worry, the dish washing fairy is bound to show up this time.  As usual, I'm punked once again.  Most of the time, I'm glad I put it off anyway.   Seldom have guests but always have dirty dished.  

Damn dish fairy always skips me, too.

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Damn! Are you meant to wash dishes? I've been throwing them away and buying new ones for years!

But seriously, I'm loving this mini-blog. A whole different, but fascinating world from mine.

Thank you!!!  

More dove pictures from this morning just came in :)

Today's sunrise

P9230025.JPG

The patch

P9230026.JPG

Chum with some serious bird feathers in her mouth.  Blech lol.

P9230028.JPG

The pile for today

P9230030.JPG

The migratory doves have started coming through.  As you can see, they have more fat and are bigger and also a lot tougher.  Those are the ones you want to bake low and slow or maybe try sous vide.  I can't wait to try them SV and see what we think.

P9230032.JPG

This is a smaller and more tender local bird

P9230033.JPG

After that they went and scouted the water holes for duck hunting tomorrow.  Looks like they should have a good hunt.

P9230034.JPG

P9230035.JPG

P9230037.JPG

Tired girl on the way home

P9230038.JPG

• Like 16

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Fantastic thread - thank you!

Interesting color variance in the different types of duck's meat.  Do you confit any of it and store for longer term use?

I have not tried to do that.  In fact, I'm interested to see if anyone else has.  I'll have to google.

So, Ronnie smoked the last of the trout that my Mom and Mike gave us (thanks guys :) ) in the cold smoker

P9231295.JPG

I then deboned them to make a dip.  Picking out trout bones is NOT my favorite task.  

P9231296.JPG

I made a smoked trout/cream cheese dip with scallions, dill, lemon, pepper, etc. etc. to serve with crackers

P9231298.JPG

Dinner tonight

Tomatoes and zucchini --zuke was marinated in fresh lemon juice and salt.  It's simple, but it's SO good.

P9231300.JPG

Zucchini casserole.  Good stuff.  Eggs, Ritz crackers, onions.  A true Kansas dish.

P9231301.JPG

Sous Vide pork tenderloin

P9231302.JPG

Plated--our hunter took great pains to make this pretty

P9231304.JPG

My guys are cleaning up the dishes.  Bless them.

• Like 21

Wow @Shelby.  Everything looks so delicious. I am so happy that the hunters are sharing some of the domestic duties.  I think Chum might be my favourite eG dog.  I really must try that zucchini with lemon.  I have written it down in my "must make" list. If I don't write things down they never happen. It is an age-related thing I think.  xD

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

my second Lab , Ridge , was black.  with help from friends I was able to teach him to retrieve    whistle commands , hand signals  etc

on the level called a Senior Hunter.    he loved this.  he was invited to retrieve pheasants some times , but usually settled mostly for bumpers.

based on this , I can telll Chum put in a lot   repeat  a lot  of work retrieving those birds.

Ridge used to have an LLBean dog bed in the back of the SUV's I had at the time , and slip into a coma on the way home after a days retrieving.   and snore  .

but he was very happy.  as was I.

so Cheers and Kudos for Chum !

• Like 7

Thanks, everyone, for reading along.  And, good morning!  

I'm slowly moving around.  I feel like I should start cooking already for tonight.  I wish it wasn't too early for wine lol.

I walked into the kitchen and found this zillion lb. bag of jalapeños from my brother-in-law

P9241305.JPG

His neighbor planted like 40 jalapeño plants so he is sharing with half the county lol.

I guess I'll pickle and can some.  Maybe some jalapeño jelly?  Any other ideas?

In retaliation I stuffed his car with zucchini.  He will never learn that he should lock his doors.

• Like 19

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

my second Lab , Ridge , was black.  with help from friends I was able to teach him to retrieve    whistle commands , hand signals  etc

on the level called a Senior Hunter.    he loved this.  he was invited to retrieve pheasants some times , but usually settled mostly for bumpers.

based on this , I can telll Chum put in a lot   repeat  a lot  of work retrieving those birds.

Ridge used to have an LLBean dog bed in the back of the SUV's I had at the time , and slip into a coma on the way home after a days retrieving.   and snore  .

but he was very happy.  as was I.

so Cheers and Kudos for Chum !

Awwww!  Yes.  The coma and the snoring are something Ridge and Chum definitely have in common.  She loves hunting with Ronnie.  In fact, during hunting season I think I cease to exist in her world.  She follows Ronnie everywhere.  

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm slowly moving around.  I feel like I should start cooking already for tonight.  I wish it wasn't too early for wine lol.

I walked into the kitchen and found this zillion lb. bag of jalapeños from my brother-in-law

P9241305.JPG

His neighbor planted like 40 jalapeño plants so he is sharing with half the county lol.

In retaliation I stuffed his car with zucchini.  He will never learn that he should lock his doors.

They freeze well for later use.  You could make a puree with onion and garlic, package and freeze for later use in chilli, etc.  If you leave them out under newspaper will they turn red?  If so then you could smoke them like chipotles....a friend is in the midst of doing this with all his extra peppers.

• Like 3

@Shelby

It is never too early for wine.  My motto and that of most of my family is that the sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world!

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

It is never too early for wine.  My motto and that of most of my family is that the sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world!

I knew I liked you and yours :) 

Ok, gotta get a move on.  Rabbit to thaw out and eggs to devil.  Be back in a bit.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

They freeze well for later use.  You could make a puree with onion and garlic, package and freeze for later use in chilli, etc.  If you leave them out under newspaper will they turn red?  If so then you could smoke them like chipotles....a friend is in the midst of doing this with all his extra peppers.

This is good to know.  I've gone overboard (as usual) buying produce and now have another idea!

Shelby, if you can say more about teal and how it compares to other wild duck, I'd appreciate it.  Does all wild duck taste the same, more or less? Is there one breed that's especially the best?  Could you confit any of that meat, given another source of fat?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

This is good to know.  I've gone overboard (as usual) buying produce and now have another idea!

Shelby, if you can say more about teal and how it compares to other wild duck, I'd appreciate it.  Does all wild duck taste the same, more or less? Is there one breed that's especially the best?  Could you confit any of that meat, given another source of fat?

To us (and most other people around here) teal is the "creme de la creme" of ducks.  Very mild in flavor and tender.  Other duck such as mallards, wood ducks etc. are much stronger tasting.  Some can be almost "muddy".   And, they are tougher.  I'm sure you could confit it but I think you'd prefer it just done on a raging hot skillet.  I SV'd some the other day just to try it...it was super good.  Like a nice rare steak.

The bad thing about both doves and teal is that they really just don't freeze well.  The meat is so tender that it gets freezer burned no matter how well you wrap it.  We do freeze them--wrapped in Saran and then vac. packed-- but we prefer to try to eat them as we get them.   Which, at this time will be a challenge considering how many doves are in my fridge right now.  O.o

• Like 10

Jalapenos and most hot peppers freeze exceedingly well without the need for any prep. I just  toss them in a resealable bag, squeeze out as much air as possible and toss them into the freezer.  Not sure how well poblanos would do if you wanted to stuff them or roast them though. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

P9241305.JPG

ABT's of course. One of my wife's favorites. Well, anything with cream cheese is one of her favorites.

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

• Like 4

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Duck hunters are back.

Awesome sunrise this morning.  

P9240044.JPG

A mix of blue wing and green wing

P9240046.JPG

Closer look.  The blue wing are the ones that are here first.  The green migrate in later.

P9240047.JPG

P9240049.JPG

P9240053.JPG

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

ABT's of course. One of my wife's favorites. Well, anything with cream cheese is one of her favorites.

My brain is very slow today.  Remind me what ABT's are?

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Wow.  I can see why they'd be referred to as ABT's, but they do look delicious.  Thanks for the links!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown