• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

Can you believe that deer season starts tomorrow?????  I feel like I was just writing to you guys about ducks!

Our hunter gets here tomorrow morning which is also the opening day of deer season.  It's been super hot here, but thankfully starting today it will feel like winter.  It's NO fun hunting for deer when it's 60 or 70 degrees outside...plus you don't really want to hang a deer in your garage at that temperature.  But, we don't have to worry about that now.  Weather even calls for snow on Saturday.  Come on snow!!!!

I've been really busy....too busy....and today will be no different.  Major housecleaning to happen plus finishing up the Christmas decorations.  

Over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of prep work.  I'm not going to jinx myself again and say that they won't be home for lunches, but I don't think they'll be home for lunches lol.  There is a cabin they can stop at (it's waaaay closer than driving clear back here) and heat stuff up.   So, I've made a huge vat of venison chili, a nice batch of pork verde and I rolled up about 20 bean, cheese and onion burritos that they can take with them.

I'm sitting here realizing that some of the meals I'm making are repeats of last time.....I guess it's just easier for me when I know our hunter really likes certain meals.  So, you will be seeing some of the same things...but I hope you won't be too bored.  They will be taking the cameras like last time and I hope to get some step-by-step photos of the deer process.  With luck we'll be cutting up deer sometime during this.  AND maybe some pressure canning.... @ChocoMom has been telling me how she does it.  I bought one of those American brand canners over the summer and am anxious to try it out.

Ok, so I'm off to clean the kitchen.....and I am going to try to stay out of the homemade eggnog....I made it with our hunter in mind, but now I don't know if I want to share lol.

Shelby

Shelby

Can you believe that deer season starts tomorrow?????  I feel like I was just writing to you guys about ducks!

So, Smithy kindly opened this blog up again.  Our hunter gets here tomorrow morning which is also the opening day of deer season.  It's been super hot here, but thankfully starting today it will feel like winter.  It's NO fun hunting for deer when it's 60 or 70 degrees outside...plus you don't really want to hang a deer in your garage at that temperature.  But, we don't have to worry about that now.  Weather even calls for snow on Saturday.  Come on snow!!!!

I've been really busy....too busy....and today will be no different.  Major housecleaning to happen plus finishing up the Christmas decorations.  

Over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of prep work.  I'm not going to jinx myself again and say that they won't be home for lunches, but I don't think they'll be home for lunches lol.  There is a cabin they can stop at (it's waaaay closer than driving clear back here) and heat stuff up.   So, I've made a huge vat of venison chili, a nice batch of pork verde and I rolled up about 20 bean, cheese and onion burritos that they can take with them.

I'm sitting here realizing that some of the meals I'm making are repeats of last time.....I guess it's just easier for me when I know our hunter really likes certain meals.  So, you will be seeing some of the same things...but I hope you won't be too bored.  They will be taking the cameras like last time and I hope to get some step-by-step photos of the deer process.  With luck we'll be cutting up deer sometime during this.  AND maybe some pressure canning.... @ChocoMom has been telling me how she does it.  I bought one of those American brand canners over the summer and am anxious to try it out.

Ok, so I'm off to clean the kitchen.....and I am going to try to stay out of the homemade eggnog....I made it with our hunter in mind, but now I don't know if I want to share lol.