Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog


Shelby
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

LOL!  I didn't even notice I did that.  I've corrected it. I wonder if my spell check changed it.  I don't think I've ever actually typed the word wench on purpose in a sentence.

 

You should see what my spellcheck/autocorrect tried to do with "backstrap" above! I'm sooo glad I caught it before it went out. 

 

 

(It tried to substitute "jo" for "ba")

  • Haha 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the by, I'd like to know more about that bread you baked, please. It looks delicious.

  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning!!!!

 

Sorry about the radio silence.  I got way behind yesterday.  Every time I was going to sit down and write, something popped up that I needed to do.

 

@Smithy How fun that you have some venison with you!  Venison backstrap or tenderloin are both so good just on their own that I don't get fancy with it.  A searing hot skillet, butter, salt and pepper or on the grill.  Venison has so little fat that you want to be careful and not over cook it.  You can always cook it more if it's too rare--rare is what you want.  Overdone, it tastes livery and tough.  We are going to do the tenderloins tonight on the grill, so I'll document it.  Here is more from Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook--it's an excellent site for learning about all different kinds of game cooking.

 

 

The bread is a recipe I ran across years ago.  It's nothing like real French bread-- like the kind @Ann_Tand others make so beautifully,  so maybe the name  "French bread" is a bit misleading lol.  I was intrigued because it looked so easy.  I swear, everyone that eats it raves about it.  I don't tell them how easy it is lol.  I think one of the reasons it's such a hit is because I brush it with egg white and sprinkle Everything Bagel Topping on it--a discovery that happened by accident because I didn't have any sesame seeds and I thought maybe the bagel topping would be good.  I bake it in the CSO on the bread setting at 375F for 25 minutes.

 

thumbnail_IMG_1607.jpg.e90e2c7943edbf2cf807e3f8716cb421.jpg

 

We ran out of breakfast burritos, so I made ham, egg and cheese sandwiches for this morning.

 

thumbnail_IMG_1593.jpg.7c4caa0ea6a71e8baf8ccbcf2486ea64.jpg

 

But, before that, I had laid out more of the same cheeses and meats, plus some pimento stuffed celery.  I was hurried because I knew the guys would be home soon so I got that out on the table and then went to the outside garage to get some eggs.

 

Here is the spread before I left

 

thumbnail_IMG_1591.jpg.007f7351d83ccb58d4d29686ee34a6c4.jpg

 

I was literally gone maybe a minute and this is what I came back to

 

thumbnail_IMG_1592.jpg.77623747a28fc1f6ddba3b0c8e116d34.jpg

 

Miss Scout had helped herself.🙄

 

Sigh.

 

On to making dinner.  I was terrible about pictures --it turned into a seafood soup.  I thawed out chicken broth, the oysters from earlier in the blog, some crappie and some shrimp.  Dumped a half a stick of butter in the pot and softened diced potato, carrots, onions and celery.  Then added the broth, salt, pepper, garlic and let it simmer a bit.  Right before eating I dumped in all the seafood and let it warm a bit.  Super easy and very good.

 

thumbnail_IMG_1597.jpg.f18bf36a206fdc3bc0cf23c850b2e0ec.jpg

 

Crusty bread toasted with butter to go with.

 

Annnnnnd dessert

 

thumbnail_IMG_1598.jpg.aee63ee3f103e32c2c228e3073696d3e.jpg

 

The guys are now out working on the buck.  I'll post pictures in a bit.  They are going to hunt close to home so I think some venison tenderloins are going to hit the grill tonight.  I'm pondering side dishes.

 

The hunting gear really makes my Christmas decor pop don't you think......

 

thumbnail_IMG_1594.jpg.92461d6b655796803a11c81f9a523c33.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Miss Scout is a working girl and has to keep up her strength ;)  Hank Shaw is great. Though I rarely get wild game, and only occasionally fish from fisher friends, I enjoy reading his site.  We had a family friend who hunted but mom mom refused his offerings as she had no idea what to do with the offerings. It was mostly fowl. Missed opportunities... 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a mimosa to celebrate the hunt. Hey I once breakfasted on those cheese/peanut butter cracker sandwiches and a serious swigf of Crown Royal before I had to face a nasty and erratic judge.  Of course I only bought CR to get the cool blue drawstring bag ;)

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

Good morning!!!!

 

Sorry about the radio silence.  I got way behind yesterday.  Every time I was going to sit down and write, something popped up that I needed to do.

 

@Smithy How fun that you have some venison with you!  Venison backstrap or tenderloin are both so good just on their own that I don't get fancy with it.  A searing hot skillet, butter, salt and pepper or on the grill.  Venison has so little fat that you want to be careful and not over cook it.  You can always cook it more if it's too rare--rare is what you want.  Overdone, it tastes livery and tough.  We are going to do the tenderloins tonight on the grill, so I'll document it.  Here is more from Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook--it's an excellent site for learning about all different kinds of game cooking.

 

 

The bread is a recipe I ran across years ago.  It's nothing like real French bread-- like the kind @Ann_Tand others make so beautifully,  so maybe the name  "French bread" is a bit misleading lol.  I was intrigued because it looked so easy.  I swear, everyone that eats it raves about it.  I don't tell them how easy it is lol.  I think one of the reasons it's such a hit is because I brush it with egg white and sprinkle Everything Bagel Topping on it--a discovery that happened by accident because I didn't have any sesame seeds and I thought maybe the bagel topping would be good.  I bake it in the CSO on the bread setting at 375F for 25 minutes.

 

thumbnail_IMG_1607.jpg.e90e2c7943edbf2cf807e3f8716cb421.jpg

 

We ran out of breakfast burritos, so I made ham, egg and cheese sandwiches for this morning.

 

 

 

But, before that, I had laid out more of the same cheeses and meats, plus some pimento stuffed celery.  I was hurried because I knew the guys would be home soon so I got that out on the table and then went to the outside garage to get some eggs.

 

Here is the spread before I left

 

 

 

I was literally gone maybe a minute and this is what I came back to

 

 

 

Miss Scout had helped herself.🙄

 

Sigh.

 

On to making dinner.  I was terrible about pictures --it turned into a seafood soup.  I thawed out chicken broth, the oysters from earlier in the blog, some crappie and some shrimp.  Dumped a half a stick of butter in the pot and softened diced potato, carrots, onions and celery.  Then added the broth, salt, pepper, garlic and let it simmer a bit.  Right before eating I dumped in all the seafood and let it warm a bit.  Super easy and very good.

 

 

 

Crusty bread toasted with butter to go with.

 

Annnnnnd dessert

 

 

 

The guys are now out working on the buck.  I'll post pictures in a bit.  They are going to hunt close to home so I think some venison tenderloins are going to hit the grill tonight.  I'm pondering side dishes.

 

The hunting gear really makes my Christmas decor pop don't you think......

 

 

 

 

OMG!!!  I made this bread, thinking it was MY kind of recipe.

‘It just came out of the oven and it’s all I can do but throw myself on it an inhale it.

I did cit the recipe in half and added some grated Parm before baking.

‘I’m absolutely swooning.  Thanks so much for the recipe!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, lindag said:

OMG!!!  I made this bread, thinking it was MY kind of recipe.

‘It just came out of the oven and it’s all I can do but throw myself on it an inhale it.

I did cit the recipe in half and added some grated Parm before baking.

‘I’m absolutely swooning.  Thanks so much for the recipe!

 

Oooooh I'm so happy you tried it!  Really good idea about the parmesan --I'll be doing that with my next loaves.  I should also add, I freeze one loaf every time because two is too much for us to eat before it molds.  It freezes really well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last day already.  Time surely flies.

 

Cold front finally came in.  It's 28 degrees right now.  Maybe that will make the deer move around a little more.  They saw a few deer yesterday, but nothing came close enough to get. 

 

After their morning stint of hunting they came home to work on the buck.  He's going to become mostly hamburger--we just throw the chunks of meat in bags and freeze them until we are all done deer hunting so we can clean and grind it all at once.  Anyway, that means that I only had to deal with the tenderloins and the back strap.

 

I know you've seen all of this before in years past.... but here are a few pictures

 

thumbnail_IMG_1619.jpg.dc04abcc0e25fec414d2e2b0ac59a95e.jpg

 

tenderloins

thumbnail_IMG_1609.jpg.4d360a3dbfa5c8acd45a028663f10a63.jpg

 

Cleaned up and butterflied

 

thumbnail_IMG_1610.jpg.1ff081b2412d66762f6664457f1d593a.jpg

 

Ya'll, this deer is TOUGH.  I made a few steaks out of the backstrap, but most will just be burger.  We will get a doe so we have some more tender steaks.

 

Backstrap

thumbnail_IMG_1611.jpg.2344eb3acb96fdb89abd64df891dc634.jpg

 

Cleaned up

 

thumbnail_IMG_1612.jpg.5b007f006b8ab82ad802e588ea3e37de.jpg

 

Steaks

 

thumbnail_IMG_1613.jpg.b17d8c4ad0560fb056dba3914e42bf94.jpg

 

A mess of deviled eggs to snack on before dinner--they didn't last long

 

thumbnail_IMG_1615.jpg.3429cedd102549f843f0d4300de88853.jpg

 

And, here is where I failed @Smithy.  My game plan was to go out to the grill and document exactly each step and how long the steaks took .  It didn't happen.  I got bogged down in the rest of dinner and by the time I looked up, they were done and in the house!  I'm sorry--I'll do better next time!  I know the grill was searing hot and it didn't take long at all before the steaks were done.  Oh, I should mention, I threw in a couple of beef steaks, too.  Leftovers will become quesadillas I think.

 

thumbnail_IMG_1616.jpg.af46152b9e20c673304e61e12d18d9e5.jpg

 

Mushrooms and Brussels sprouts and baker to go with

 

thumbnail_IMG_1617.jpg.eb8b709a93ed15f067cc2eb04a390154.jpg

 

So, that catches us up to right now.  I've fed the kittens in the barn.  Going to make something hot to drink and then hit the shower.  I promised to make pickle roll ups so that's the next thing on the list.  Our hunter doesn't leave until this evening, so I guess I should make lunch........hmmmm.....I'll ponder that in the shower.

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always enjoy seeing the butchering pictures again. I don't recall seeing the line-up of antlers before. Do you save them all or would that be a ginormous collection? Do the dogs and cats/kittens get any of the meat raw or are there issues with that?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Always enjoy seeing the butchering pictures again. I don't recall seeing the line-up of antlers before. Do you save them all or would that be a ginormous collection? Do the dogs and cats/kittens get any of the meat raw or are there issues with that?

I'll run out and take a picture of the antlers in the garage plus the mounted ones we have--I think Ronnie saves all antlers no matter how small.

 

The cats and kittens got lots of snacks.  They LOVE venison.  The dogs.....they love it, but I don't love cleaning up the throw-up that happens later so they don't get any lol.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for linking to the bread recipe – looks like something I would like to try.  One question – you bake it in the CSO, but do you also rise it there? 

 

I’m so sorry, but I admit that I laughed in a very unladylike manner when I saw Miss Scout’s nefarious deed.  I even called Mr. Kim and Jessica over to see it.   All three of us have experience with animals doing those things.  Mr. Kim grew up with a Collie/Norwegian Elkhound blend who once ate FIVE filet mignons that his mom had set out for Mr. Kim’s 16th birthday dinner and who also ate Mr. Kim’s and his siblings' Whitman’s samplers from under the Xmas tree early one Xmas morning (with NO negative results). 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you so much for linking to the bread recipe – looks like something I would like to try.  One question – you bake it in the CSO, but do you also rise it there? 

 

I’m so sorry, but I admit that I laughed in a very unladylike manner when I saw Miss Scout’s nefarious deed.  I even called Mr. Kim and Jessica over to see it.   All three of us have experience with animals doing those things.  Mr. Kim grew up with a Collie/Norwegian Elkhound blend who once ate FIVE filet mignons that his mom had set out for Mr. Kim’s 16th birthday dinner and who also ate Mr. Kim’s and his siblings' Whitman’s samplers from under the Xmas tree early one Xmas morning (with NO negative results). 

LOL!

 

I sometimes do rise it in the CSO 100F on the steam setting for about 15 mins.  But, it rises really fast on it's own....I do it both ways depending on if I'm in a hurry or not.

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby  

 

for the dogs :  Raw or Cooked ?

 

I wonder why , if cooked , there are later issues .

Oh, cooked is ok for them.  I was talking raw.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No deer again today.  Sigh.  It's cold...but I guess it just wasn't in the cards.  I was really hoping to get our two and be done with it....but there is still one more week of deer season, so I'm sure Ronnie will get another one. 

 

Ronnie is on the way to the airport to drop our friend off.  Our friend probably has a very sore arm from playing so much ball with Scout lol.

 

I took pictures of all of the antlers I could find:

 

These are mounts in the man room

 

thumbnail_IMG_1624.jpg.1f0ede83efedd6a5ebabaeba25e45573.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_1625.jpg.5d2442d595158933d4084508d16662f3.jpg

 

And these are all in the garage

 

thumbnail_IMG_1626.jpg.536a8cd4cede7cbd87426b573475723a.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_1627.jpg.294bd21e1af6961609455f8e53c39678.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_1629.jpg.d2860a60ba0cbd65b8c4eb06dda26e70.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_1630.jpg.14e1166639195068a0133ca020651f63.jpg

 

Some of the ones that are hanging were found just walking on our land.

 

So, the last bit of food.  We talked about me making spaghetti and meatballs for lunch, but it was so cold...I thought a nice big pot of chicken noodle soup would be better

 

thumbnail_IMG_1623.jpg.ab33aabfe16c4a6c0d7be7c2ed8bbda2.jpg

 

Cheesy bread and the ever famous pickle roll ups to go with.

 

thumbnail_IMG_1621.jpg.4b271c64a0c277d2f057bfb6ca777b53.jpg

 

And that's it for this time.  There was talk about coming back in the Spring.  Who knows what life will be like then with Covid and all, but hopefully that will happen, and if so, I'll be back here then :)

 

Thanks ever so much for following.  As I've said before, you guys keep me sane during these weeks :) 

 

It's too late for a nap, so I'm pouring wine.

 

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

Last day already.

No. No. Say it isn’t so. Thanks so very much again!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

 

It's too late for a nap, so I'm pouring wine.

 

 

Just poured my wife and I a glass and came to enjoy this thread while the oven heats up.  I will echo the thanks from all for taking the time to share with us.

 

Cheers! :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has been a wonderful update of your blog. I've said before but will say it again: your food is sooo much better than anything my hunting gang and I enjoyed during our deer camps! I'd really love to come stay with you for that time...and hunt, or not hunt...heck, I'd love to come camp out with you any time!

 

Many thanks for bringing us into your house!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Shelby

Long before you cooked any part of this deer you knew the meat would be tough. Can you tell us how you knew that? Is there something we could watch for in the meat we buy to avoid those tough chops and roasts?  Was is it a lack of fat marbling or something else? 

  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

Long before you cooked any part of this deer you knew the meat would be tough. Can you tell us how you knew that? Is there something we could watch for in the meat we buy to avoid those tough chops and roasts?  Was is it a lack of fat marbling or something else? 

@shelby is the hunting's world's Italian nonna who can simply touch the pasta dough and tell if it has enough water/flour.

 

She just slapped the buck on the ass as it was hanging and said, you are going to be one tough fellow, aren't ya!?

 

😆

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

Long before you cooked any part of this deer you knew the meat would be tough. Can you tell us how you knew that? Is there something we could watch for in the meat we buy to avoid those tough chops and roasts?  Was is it a lack of fat marbling or something else? 

 

2 minutes ago, TicTac said:

@shelby is the hunting's world's Italian nonna who can simply touch the pasta dough and tell if it has enough water/flour.

 

She just slapped the buck on the ass as it was hanging and said, you are going to be one tough fellow, aren't ya!?

 

😆

LOL!!!!  I told them that next time they needed to poke the buck on the rear and see how he felt (just kidding).

 

Venison meat doesn't have any marbling (wild venison at least, I don't know about pen raised)....there will be some fat under the hide but that tastes awful and you want to trim that off.  You can just tell by looking at and pressing down on the meat.  Visually the meat is coarse.  Touch-wise, it's hard.  Tender meat just feels tender by touch. And, in general, a buck---especially during rut--is too busy running after the ladies so he gets in really good shape which means his muscles\meat are tougher.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You can just tell by looking at and pressing down on the meat.  Visually the meat is coarse.  Touch-wise, it's hard.  Tender meat just feels tender by touch. And, in general, a buck---especially during rut--is too busy running after the ladies so he gets in really good shape which means his muscles\meat are tougher.

Thanks. It is probably good that Covid is keeping me out of the supermarket because I wonder just how long I would last poking the meat. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Shelby 

 

are you able to spend a little precious

 

time during the butchering 

 

to take a few tougher

 

but tastier  thick to large cuts

 

and bag and fz to then SV when you have more time ?

 

of course , as a theoretician 

 

dry : tough ==  SV

 

at least for a few cuts ?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...