• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

Just now, rotuts said:

Thank you for bring us along.

BTW :  on a carcass , how do you decided 

that the whole is  tough ?   

You can just tell by feeling the meat.  It feels......tough.  But it will make great burger which is what we use the most of anyway :) 

• Like 6

Thank YOU!!!  I've managed to break all my Christmas glasses - love yours. Out of curiosity do you find fresh  pasta preferable to dried with a strong sauce like yu made or are you just a Pioneer Woman ;)

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You can just tell by feeling the meat.  It feels......tough.  But it will make great burger which is what we use the most of anyway :) 

Do you know why some are tough and others not? Is it age? Thanks so much for doing the blog. It’s always fun to play along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, heidih said:

Thank YOU!!!  I've managed to break all my Christmas glasses - love yours. Out of curiosity do you find fresh  pasta preferable to dried with a strong sauce like yu made or are you just a Pioneer Woman ;)

I honestly love both kinds....I made fresh just because our friend doesn't make it and I wanted him to eat something he wouldn't normally cook for himself.

I love those glasses, too.  I think I'm down to only 4--used to have 8.  They are quite breakable.  But I think they still make them....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Do you know why some are tough and others not? Is it age? Thanks so much for doing the blog. It’s always fun to play along.

Definitely age and then how far they run after being gotten.  If they run far the adrenaline makes the meat tougher.  This one was an older deer.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I honestly love both kinds....I made fresh just because our friend doesn't make it and I wanted him to eat something he wouldn't normally cook for himself.

I love those glasses, too.  I think I'm down to only 4--used to have 8.  They are quite breakable.  But I think they still make them....

I have glasses very much like those -- maybe the same pattern -- but they're in storage at home. How nice to see some in use!

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Definitely age and then how far they run after being gotten.  If they run far the adrenaline makes the meat tougher.  This one was an older deer.

Yup.

Thank you for an excellent blog - it's always lovely to see you popping up again with the hunting and cooking adventures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I have glasses very much like those -- maybe the same pattern -- but they're in storage at home. How nice to see some in use!

Yup.

Thank you for an excellent blog - it's always lovely to see you popping up again with the hunting and cooking adventures!

I remember telling you to pack those glasses up in the Princessmobile a few years ago 😁

Thank you !  I'll be back--possibly in the spring, for sure next September.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, Shelby said:

thumbnail_IMG_3591.jpg.26a81d7b26a624751f95b50169f149b0.jpg

That’s the smartest thing ever 🤗 !!!

Germans are usually so very good with hangover cures … why didn’t we have invented this ? Shall we arrange for a “spirit exchange” ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Germans are usually so very good with hangover cures … why didn’t we have invented this ? Shall we arrange for a “spirit exchange” ?

I'll bring a bottle when I move in 😬

It's actually really good.  He keeps it in the freezer so it's icy cold.  I did a little shot of it.  Very pickley and spicy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Duvel said:

45 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'll bring a bottle when I move in 😬

It's actually really good.  He keeps it in the freezer so it's icy cold.  I did a little shot of it.  Very pickley and spicy.

Don’t you want to know what he is offering in exchange? I do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby

Id go for a supply of :

''  Mettbrötchen ''

https://germanculture.com.ua/main-dishes/mettbrotchen/

image.jpeg.288e4384b58252482e256332123ae4c9.jpeg

this is @Duvel 's 2017 

I think the onions are chopped finer these days

overnight delivery only 

and ' all you can eat ' 

lifetime supply 

now , just to check 

and later , to keep checking .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SLB said:

Thanks so much for sharing, Shelby. 

I admit -- this blog makes me want to learn to hunt.  It's late for me; but . . .  But.  

It's never too late.  I'm not sure where you live...but there are guides and there are easier hunts  that you can do.  

You have to have a Hunter's Safety Certificate here--you might not have to where you live.  I took a two day class when I was probably 19 or 20 with a bunch of 12 year old boys....lol but true.  Then you have to buy licenses for the specific game that you want to hunt.

I really appreciate you reading along and commenting and, again, it's never too late :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We had to go to town so we stopped in and picked up a pork butt to grind with today.  It was half off--so around $19.  Pretty good price.

thumbnail_IMG_3626.jpg.b588765e58b43ad5ea69450532264cc1.jpg

We also had a bit of beef fat to use from last year so we made a small batch of beef/venison burger with the majority being pork/venison burger.

Sinks of venison

thumbnail_IMG_3628.jpg.db457c1203205203f6d6b5d1cf7aa97c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3629.jpg.5051b9b806c9bc0b903bd157acc15d65.jpg

Ready for the grinder

thumbnail_IMG_3630.jpg.f1fdb206068d44059a01e600dab91e80.jpg

Different set up this year.  I bought another rolling cart to keep the grinder on.  It's become too heavy to get up and down the stairs--way handier to just have it up here.

thumbnail_IMG_3632.jpg.1220395abf052d8100d71bccb093929f.jpg

We always double grind the meat

thumbnail_IMG_3635.jpg.68adf1a8fc2ef2ea41cc939d9f12dc5b.jpg

These two little thieves absconded with as much meat as they could get away with.  I've lost my voice from saying "NO" and pushing their little feet away lol.

thumbnail_IMG_3636.jpg.792ae9c057e547a8acad5c3ac465ea71.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3637.jpg.ebcebfd078bb566e1885dfd722b382fd.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3638.jpg.f872dd28b1bc215722f650f8d51c8dc3.jpg

Took around 4 hours total.  I still have some pans to wash up but it's all safe and sound in the freezer.  Got about 80 lbs. so we're set for another year :) 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

thank you for sharing this

so , pork and venison is your choice ?

love the grinder 

and the cart.

I do like to mix the pork and venison a bit better than the beef.  The beef is a bit greasier to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Took around 4 hours total.  I still have some pans to wash up but it's all safe and sound in the freezer.  Got about 80 lbs. so we're set for another year :) 

Wow, that's a good amount and so convenient to have something like that on hand. Thanks so much for sharing details of your life, it's always interesting!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1