• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

35 minutes ago, heidih said:

Agreed out of his misery. So the carcass goes on a pile out a ways from house for scavengers? I think you mentioned that before. I think I asked about Rponnie's antler collection once but don't recall photos. 

I'm not exactly sure where they will take him.  I'm sure he will keep the antlers though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Very much annoyed over this.

If a shot is taken, bow or otherwise, it's a hunter's responsibility to follow, find and finish.

Strongly agree.

• Like 6

an administrative aside :

Im guessing that hunting licenses are required

for Deer ? waterfowl ? Fishing ?

I did a looking :

https://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Applications-and-Fees

interesting .  

Commercial dogs ?

didn't delve deep enough to see if

Deer is restricted to a certain number .

if that number is smaller than your Freezer 

I hope the Buck doesn't affect the Freezer.

I hope the Antler collection 

increases.

• Like 2

Do they reheat the breakfast burritos, or eat them cold? (I'd vote for reheating, myself.) If they do reheat them, how and where do they do it?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Do they reheat the breakfast burritos, or eat them cold? (I'd vote for reheating, myself.) If they do reheat them, how and where do they do it?

They reheat them here in the microwave and then take them....they're probably cold again by the time they eat lol.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Very much annoyed over this.

If a shot is taken, bow or otherwise, it's a hunter's responsibility to follow, find and finish.

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Strongly agree.

A couple of years ago, about this time of year, I was driving along early one morning when a big doe came out of nowhere and center punched my driver’s side, right between the front wheel and the door, then vanished. All I saw was a quick flash of gray. 

Got where I could pull over, couldn’t open my door. Crawled over the console, avoiding the gearshift, got out of the passenger. A guy who’d been behind me pulled over behind me to be sure I was ok. We walked around to check out the damage, and he used a crowbar to pry out the piece of door that had jammed. Still wouldn’t open. I got back in, crawled over the console again, and went on to my client’s office. I might add that I was wearing a suit with a straight skirt.

I had been worried about the deer. After climbing over the console three more times, the last one at the body shop where I learned the repairs would be $8,000 (I had had the car for two weeks), I was about to the point of hoping she’d limped off into a thicket and died.

But I agree. When I hunted, if I shot one and didn’t bring it down, I’d track it.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, kayb said:

But I agree. When I hunted, if I shot one and didn’t bring it down, I’d track it.

I remember tracking a deer damn near midnight.  It was COLD.  We had flashlights.  Hard to see blood trail like that but we found it.

• Like 4

It's Friday!!!!!!

It is SO windy (and when a Kansan says it's windy, it's really windy lol).  It's blowing steady at 35 mph and gusting to 45 right now. Later it's supposed to blow steady at 40 and gust to 55 😳.  I have a Christmas tree on the porch that has blown over.  Usually the deer don't move around in wind like this but they sent me a little video of a good buck milling about just now.

So, we will see.

Yesterday afternoon I made a cheese ball--it's easy and it always gets good reviews.  When Ronnie's dad was alive he requested this often.

thumbnail_IMG_3545.jpg.bbb9aff86b1845ded34329fed45ffb1f.jpg

Mix it all up in a bowl and form a ball.  It looks really pretty if you roll it in diced parsley but I didn't have any.

I mentioned on the good bargains thread that Murray's Cheese was having a sale on Cyber Monday.  25% off.  That is very dangerous for me.  So here's a little preview of what's for appetizers tonight:

thumbnail_IMG_3547.jpg.6744287c155fa50061301bbf36388f44.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3548.jpg.9f71df7bb928dd40d4f3a3c08afd3975.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3549.jpg.9a3087d004b2f03ddeee4570889bc81b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3550-1.jpg.3e3da122b6928cdc807aa8dadb178138.jpg

Last night's cheese ball and crackers

thumbnail_IMG_3551.jpg.b2386c84be0af416ce353d444c80202f.jpg

I also put out some store bought head cheese

thumbnail_IMG_3552.jpg.911edbaa2d993b8040e226d7ffad9421.jpg

Thawed out some crappie from over the summer and fried that in a panko/flour mixture

thumbnail_IMG_3554.jpg.7b91801568cb3cd14dc06cb29ebe282b.jpg

With macaroni and cheese and fresh cooked spinach

thumbnail_IMG_3555.jpg.1285f1324cc744c4d9a89f13b00f9c37.jpg

@Smithyasked yesterday if the guys ate their burritos cold or warmed......well they did microwave them yesterday.  Today they've come up with their own microwave at the shooting house:

thumbnail_IMG_1683.jpg.319ee810b9bac62ef12e34a3b47cbac0.jpg

🤣

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 3

I laughed to myself about the burrito warming method, but I couldn't "laugh" at that entire delicious-looking post!

Every time I think of some appetizer or treat to take to the next party, you come up with something else I want to try! So, questions about that cheese ball: do you use the full content of both those jars of dried beef? I don't think I've ever seen that in a grocery store, but I've probably never looked. 

You seem to be a fish frying master. Do you have any special techniques for keeping the spatter to a minimum, or do you just do a massive cleanup later? (I assume you didn't air-fry those crappie.)

I am really, REALLY glad I didn't follow you down the Murray's Cheese sale path when the sale was on, but I look forward to virtually enjoying your treats!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I laughed to myself about the burrito warming method, but I couldn't "laugh" at that entire delicious-looking post!

Every time I think of some appetizer or treat to take to the next party, you come up with something else I want to try! So, questions about that cheese ball: do you use the full content of both those jars of dried beef? I don't think I've ever seen that in a grocery store, but I've probably never looked. 

You seem to be a fish frying master. Do you have any special techniques for keeping the spatter to a minimum, or do you just do a massive cleanup later? (I assume you didn't air-fry those crappie.)

I am really, REALLY glad I didn't follow you down the Murray's Cheese sale path when the sale was on, but I look forward to virtually enjoying your treats!

Yes, I used both jars (minus what ever Newman stole when I stepped away for a minute 🙄) you want a total of 5 oz. of dried beef.  I usually find it in the grocery store isle that has the canned meats --this was near the Spam.  Sometimes it's not in jars and it's in packets.  Hormel also does a dried beef.

Here is the recipe:

Cheese ball

2 dried beef packets (5 oz total)

1 softened cream cheese

2 chopped green onions

Dash of worcestershire sauce

Dash of onion juice

Dice the dried beef. Mix in all other ingredients and form into a ball. You can roll it in chopped parsley if you wish.

I don't ever have onion juice so I skip that and a add a couple dashes of Worcestershire.

The fish really didn't make a mess.  Chicken and gizzards make the most mess for me.  I see a few splatters that I need to clean but really not bad.  I just use my cast iron skillet with about 2 inches or so of veg. oil.  Get it to 350F and fry.   These crappie are pretty thin so it doesn't take long to get them done...maybe that's why it's less mess.

I bought too much cheese.  One was a major splurge but it's seasonal and I've been looking at it for several years.  I got 1/2 a pound so it wasn't toooooooo bad at 25% off.  I'll say more about it later.  I hope we don't hate it lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Love the ingenuity of those who are cold!

Thank you - once again - for taking the time and making the effort in sharing all this fun stuff with us.

My grandfather used to hunt ducks and moose.  One of my few regrets in life is never being able to have gone hunting with him.

• Thanks 1

Nice Murray's haul! What is your go-to method for fresh spinach?  The jars of dried beef reminded me of doing a fridge clean for dad and stepmom. There was a jar. She denied ever having bought it, my dad wouldn't and I didn't. My mpm died in 1983 - I opened it amd it seemed ok but I pitched just in case

I oinly ever see headcheese in rolls like mortadella size, never in what at first looked to me like molded jello. Interesting.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Nice Murray's haul! What is your go-to method for fresh spinach?  The jars of dried beef reminded me of doing a fridge clean for dad and stepmom. There was a jar. She denied ever having bought it, my dad wouldn't and I didn't. My mpm died in 1983 - I opened it amd it seemed ok but I pitched just in case

I oinly ever see headcheese in rolls like mortadella size, never in what at first looked to me like molded jello. Interesting.

I dump a huge bag of spinach in the IP and pressure cook it for a few minutes-1 cup of water and whatever seasoning.  Last night I used salt and lemon pepper.  Make sure you have a lot because it's shocking how it cooks down lol.

Yeah, they call it head cheese...maybe it isn't really head cheese???  It has all the parts that head cheese is made with.....

The head cheese - just a different format.  Seems less "processed", more loose.

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

My Mom always use that to make our SOS which I loved.

I was gonna reference creamed chipped beef but my ex's family always used yoiur term  https://izzycooking.com/shit-on-a-shingle/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

A few pictures

This is inside the ground blind that they use when they hunt at the field that's closer to home--that's usually in the evening so they don't have such a long drive to get back.

thumbnail_IMG_1656.jpg.1cf354aeadaa66a68a07a1f33823cb90.jpg

Sunrise this morning from the shooting house

thumbnail_IMG_1681.jpg.afc1f4c104ddda366b241e916585ea28.jpg

Nice little buck

thumbnail_IMG_1684-1.jpg.0fe8f63ab37d25cb196fcd7a5265a453.jpg

Annnnnnd, I hope this doesn't bother people too much but I am guessing there is some curiosity about what the inside of the buck that they got looks like.

thumbnail_IMG_1673-1.jpg.3165f2078a36482855fc58d3d500f512.jpg

See that white -yellowish area?  That's all infection and ick.  And it's all over inside :(.  Thus, we certainly don't want to risk any meat eating.

So, hoping I haven't grossed you out too much....

Tonight is pizza night so I'm making dough as we speak.....our friend loves both the venison cheeseburger and a regular pepperoni and whatever so two pizzas will be made.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Shelby said:

A few pictures

This is inside the ground blind that they use when they hunt at the field that's closer to home--that's usually in the evening so they don't have such a long drive to get back.

thumbnail_IMG_1656.jpg.1cf354aeadaa66a68a07a1f33823cb90.jpg

Sunrise this morning from the shooting house

thumbnail_IMG_1681.jpg.afc1f4c104ddda366b241e916585ea28.jpg

Nice little buck

thumbnail_IMG_1684-1.jpg.0fe8f63ab37d25cb196fcd7a5265a453.jpg

Annnnnnd, I hope this doesn't bother people too much but I am guessing there is some curiosity about what the inside of the buck that they got looks like.

thumbnail_IMG_1673-1.jpg.3165f2078a36482855fc58d3d500f512.jpg

See that white -yellowish area?  That's all infection and ick.  And it's all over inside :(.  Thus, we certainly don't want to risk any meat eating.

So, hoping I haven't grossed you out too much....

Tonight is pizza night so I'm making dough as we speak.....our friend loves both the venison cheeseburger and a regular pepperoni and whatever so two pizzas will be made.  

Is this the same buck from before or another infected one?