• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

Sorry to hear ankle is a constant nag.  What are they hunting this time of year? As to the shortages - I hate that it leads to fear and "hoarding:. M7y Krger (Ralphs) stared early p displays with heaps f flour and sugar - ya know holiday baking orietat6ion. The bins of Cream of Mushroom are hilarious. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Sorry to hear ankle is a constant nag.  What are they hunting this time of year? As to the shortages - I hate that it leads to fear and "hoarding:. M7y Krger (Ralphs) stared early p displays with heaps f flour and sugar - ya know holiday baking orietat6ion. The bins of Cream of Mushroom are hilarious. 

Yeah there was no shortage of Cream of Mushroom for sure 🤣

Deer season opens on the 1st (Thursday) so they will deer hunt in the mornings and evenings and probably goose and duck hunt in-between.

• Like 4

Yay!!!  Great timing so we can go from blog to blog!  Sorry to hear about your ankle - that really sucks.  But on the bright side, you can pretend you're me - you just have to imagine your ankle all over (especially in your left hand!)  Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone!

I made my ham and beans yesterday.  Homemade broth, my canned tomatoes, Rancho Gordo beans...the whole shebang.

thumbnail_IMG_3525.jpg.8c63a5f283f692f398ee1acc5ef7b242.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3527.jpg.77fbf5227409005d75754a9deae0d473.jpg

It smelled wonderful.  I left it in my huge Instant Pot over night on the keep warm function-- as I've done a million times before.  Got up this morning, opened the lid to give it a stir. 

IT SPOILED.  OMG it wasn't even warm.  I guess the keep warm function was set at waaaay too low of a temperature.

So, I'm doing it again.  🙃  This better be the best freaking ham and beans ever lol.

Ronnie is in town getting me another ham.  Our friend's flight is delayed a bit due to the bad storms over there.......sooooooo....that's my morning 😬.  

I'll be back with cornbread after while.  Let's all say a prayer that I don't screw that up too lol.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10

25 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Hello everyone!

I made my ham and beans yesterday.  Homemade broth, my canned tomatoes, Rancho Gordo beans...the whole shebang.

thumbnail_IMG_3525.jpg.8c63a5f283f692f398ee1acc5ef7b242.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3527.jpg.77fbf5227409005d75754a9deae0d473.jpg

It smelled wonderful.  I left it in my huge Instant Pot over night on the keep warm function-- as I've done a million times before.  Got up this morning, opened the lid to give it a stir. 

IT SPOILED.  OMG it wasn't even warm.  I guess the keep warm function was set at waaaay too low of a temperature.

So, I'm doing it again.  🙃  This better be the best freaking ham and beans ever lol.

Ronnie is in town getting me another ham.  Our friend's flight is delayed a bit due to the bad storms over there.......sooooooo....that's my morning 😬.  

I'll be back with cornbread after while.  Let's all say a prayer that I don't screw that up too lol.

Noooooo!!!!!!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Shelby  Was the Keep Warm led still illuminated?   I wasn't aware the Keep Warm temp could be changed but I know the Keep Warm time can be.   The default Keep Warm time on my IP is 10 hours.   Is it possible yours was set for minutes?   

BTW, I've had this exact same scenario with an inherited Crock Pot.  Chicken soup on low, stupid pot was old and temp control failing.  Sour soup hours later.  Kept the soup warm enough for the bacteria to love it.  Cooking Disaster.

Warming

Pressing the “Keep-Warm/Cancel” key in the standby state activates the “Keep Warm” function. You can use “+” and “-“ to change the time between 10 minutes and 99 hours and 50 minutes. When “Keep Warm” function starts, the time counts up by minutes. The "Keep Warm" function can be used with or without the lid closed. You can also use an optional glass lid for this function. When it finishes, the cooker beeps and goes to standby state.

Edited by lemniscate
added story (log)
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Let's all say a prayer that I don't screw that up too lol.

Oh Shelby. But just to inject a little brightness—at least it was obviously spoiled and you didn’t accidentally cause much grief to your guest and yourselves.  That’s the best I can do besides offer you some hugs. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Shelby  Was the Keep Warm led still illuminated?   I wasn't aware the Keep Warm temp could be changed but I know the Keep Warm time can be.   The default Keep Warm time on my IP is 10 hours.   Is it possible yours was set for minutes?   

BTW, I've had this exact same scenario with an inherited Crock Pot.  Chicken soup on low, stupid pot was old and temp control failing.  Sour soup hours later.  Kept the soup warm enough for the bacteria to love it.  Cooking Disaster.

Warming

Pressing the “Keep-Warm/Cancel” key in the standby state activates the “Keep Warm” function. You can use “+” and “-“ to change the time between 10 minutes and 99 hours and 50 minutes. When “Keep Warm” function starts, the time counts up by minutes. The "Keep Warm" function can be used with or without the lid closed. You can also use an optional glass lid for this function. When it finishes, the cooker beeps and goes to standby state.

My IP is different than that....it defaults to low and 17 hours of keep warm.  Low on my smaller IP's is just perfect.  This one must default to a lot lower.  I can change the setting between High Low and Custom (custom you can set your own temp which is what I'll be doing this next time )

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oh Shelby. But just to inject a little brightness—at least it was obviously spoiled and you didn’t accidentally cause much grief to your guest and yourselves.  That’s the best I can do besides offer you some hugs. 

Oh yes, it could have been worse and in the big picture it's not a big deal.....that's what I get for trying to get ahead of the game lol.

And on the plus side, I have more ham to freeze.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 8

So you cooked it in the IP...set it to warm, and it stayed  sealed?

Pressure cooker temps should be similar to an autoclave sterilizer temp. so your soup should have been OK.

Wonder if the IP is failing to come up to pressure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gfweb said:

So you cooked it in the IP...set it to warm, and it stayed  sealed?

Pressure cooker temps should be similar to an autoclave sterilizer temp. so your soup should have been OK.

Wonder if the IP is failing to come up to pressure.

I think I know what you're asking, but I'm a ditz sometimes lol. I pressure cooked it for an hour and then I released the pressure to see if the beans were sufficiently done.  They were, so I put it on the keep warm setting.  I truly think the keep warm on this bigger pot is a lot less warm than my smaller IP's.

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

I'm just amazed that you had the gumption and willingness to go again from scratch. You have a crowd wishing you a successful round 2.

Ohhhhhh trust me.  I wanted to tell Ronnie to just take him to lunch somewhere, but our guest never wants to do that...he always wants to just come here.  I am ever so grateful to have a lot of Rancho Gordo beans lol.  And a husband that went to get another ham.   And that the said ham wasn't frozen.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

These are the ham and beans from hell I tell ya.

Been pressure cooking for an hour.  Beans aren't done.  We will go another 30 mins and if they are still hard I'm throwing the whole damn thing in the river lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Shelby, you are a real trooper! We're pulling for you!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Shelby, you are a real trooper! We're pulling for you!

Maybe with the force of EG behind me this will turn out ok lol.

I don't want to see a bean or a ham for a loooooong time after this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

We have a success.  Phew.   I'm almost scared to start on breakfast burritos and dinner.......

I have to show my newish little candy cane plates

thumbnail_IMG_3530.jpg.af48799d7c8ebc1a3978461068ad10a1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3532.jpg.20cf5e97975a6d7d5c0a56be81a70c77.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3531.jpg.58ac6aeb6a04dbb45aa79922014a9daa.jpg

And this was dinner last night as the FIRST pot of ham and beans was cooking. 

French dip sandwiches

thumbnail_IMG_3528.jpg.a3c0d8ed1fef05b8069e289195a9bf9b.jpg

The guys have loaded up and departed for the shooting house.   Just to scout around and prep for in the morning.

I'm off to do the first round of dishes and figure out breakfast, appetizers and dinner.  I feel a glass of wine coming on.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Cute festive candy cane plates. I forgot to comment on the holiday decor you posted. Alongside the fire it was an inviting scene. Guessing the green bits in yur cornbread are jalapeno and the yellow cheese?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, heidih said:

Cute festive candy cane plates. I forgot to comment on the holiday decor you posted. Alongside the fire it was an inviting scene. Guessing the green bits in yur cornbread are jalapeno and the yellow cheese?

Those jalapeños are hot.  And yes, cheddar cheese cubes.  I like biting into a gooey gob of it :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

French dip sandwiches

thumbnail_IMG_3528.jpg.a3c0d8ed1fef05b8069e289195a9bf9b.jpg

The guys have loaded up and departed for the shooting house.   Just to scout around and prep for in the morning.

I'm off to do the first round of dishes and figure out breakfast, appetizers and dinner.  I feel a glass of wine coming on.

Hunting time blog!  A most enjoyable journey to join along again with - indeed.

I can only guess that is your plate, Shelby - given the exorbitant volume of fries!  😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, rotuts said:

after the candy cane plates :

a corn bread item

ten some  soup // stew ?

like to hear money about those two

''' after the hunt ''

I'll give more details in the morning, I promise :)  Thanks for asking.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

I bet both batches would have been way up at the top of the list!   🙂

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rotuts said:

after the candy cane plates :

a corn bread item

ten some  soup // stew ?

like to hear money about those two

''' after the hunt ''

Good morning everyone!

More info about the ham and beans and cornbread.

Cornbread recipe:

1 cup flour

1 cup cornmeal

1/3 cup sugar

1 tsp salt

3 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/3 cup melted butter

1 egg 

1 cup milk

1 diced jalapeno

Some cubed sharp cheddar

Grease cast iron or round cake/pie dish.  Mix all except for the cheddar--don't over stir.  There can be a few lumps left.  Pour into dish.  Poke cheddar all around.  Bake at 400F for 20 mins (I used the CSO).

Ham and beans.....easy peasy in the IP.

2 bags of beans -Rancho Gordo sized.  You can use the nine bean bags like they sell at the store--might not need 2 whole bags of those

Diced:

onions

carrots

jalapeno

garlic

celery

Meaty ham bone

diced ham

black pepper

couple of bay leaves

Dump all of that in the IP.  Fill to the line with chicken or turkey broth.  Pressure cook on high for an hour--may need to go an additional 30 mins depending on the beans.  

Add a can or so of diced tomatoes (I used a quart jar that I had canned)

Season with salt if it needs it--the ham is salty enough on it's own for us.

Yesterday was busy.  After the guys left I made breakfast burritos.  Enough for 4 days.  I told them if they get sick of them to let me know and I'll make breakfast sandwiches.  

Eggs

Tater tots that I did in the CSO

Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage

Salsa

Shredded sharp cheddar

thumbnail_IMG_3533.jpg.5b140b4cb0834d045607824070c10f21.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3534.jpg.aa8257b04ed2c0bd8edf1fd28875061e.jpg

By the time that was all done I realized it was getting dark and they would be home soon.  So, I baked up some sausage rolls and broke out my last jar of that jalapeño mustard that I canned.

thumbnail_IMG_3535.jpg.ac0de5616c7583694d98a98b97720e69.jpg

After I arranged the platter I realized I had violated the no cheese near sausage rolls protocol.  @Anna Nwill probably string me up for this.😬

Moving on to dinner.  I made venison meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and southern cooked to death green beans with bacon.

Our friends plate

thumbnail_IMG_3537.jpg.652048d58256b307fdd2510e3c311bb4.jpg

Ronnie's rather messy plate

thumbnail_IMG_3538.jpg.ea0ec6cdcc517d3bdcc2b7a0f8784fc4.jpg

This morning the wind is blowing something fierce so I was pretty surprised to see the truck back into the driveway.  I know when they back in that a deer has been gotten.  He's a beautiful buck.

thumbnail_IMG_3540.jpg.c3280462a30477143b5ffa3a48fbf220.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3541.jpg.857eed09d7bf13527dec0e97abc81a45.jpg

But the terrible news is that he's full of infection (so we can't eat any of the meat) due to a bow hunter making a bad shot 😪.  Reason #1 as to why I'm not a bow hunting fan.  I'm glad he's not suffering any more.  

Onward and upward as they say.  They will go back out this afternoon.  

I've already gotten the dishwasher going.  I don't have to make breakfast soooooooo I think I'll get to have a delicious nap in a bit :)

And, as always, I'm pondering what to make for tonight.

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Agreed out of his misery. So the carcass goes on a pile out a ways from house for scavengers? I think you mentioned that before. I think I asked about Rponnie's antler collection once but don't recall photos. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

After I arranged the platter I realized I had violated the no cheese near sausage rolls protocol.  @Anna Nwill probably string me up for this.😬

Never!  

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog