• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

Waxed Filson or not .

Im showing up @ The Lodge 

as @ Hunter , with documents 

supporting my recent injuries to my Trigger Finger

Ill just keep an eye on the Lodge 

and snarf everything down 

and chat w the Cats , and Chum !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Waxed Filson or not .

Im showing up @ The Lodge 

as @ Hunter , with documents 

supporting my recent injuries to my Trigger Finger

Ill just keep and

eye on the Lodge 

and snarf everything down 

and chat w the Cats , and Chum !

You can be Lodge Manager.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Happy Friday!!

As you saw yesterday they had a good hunt.  Then they came home and got right to work rebuilding parts of the porch.  How they can do that when it's so hot I'll never know.  I certainly couldn't.  They weren't hungry for lunch so around 4 I set out marinated mushrooms, olives, spiced pecans, crackers and a selection of meats and cheeses.  

thumbnail_IMG_3046.jpg.0a1be288428069e6fb7af0e03b26a56b.jpg

Our friend sent us the newest collection of hot sauces from the Heatonist--I think it was last year that I posted about that?

Anyway, I had some frozen oysters and thought they would be perfect to test the sauces out on.

thumbnail_IMG_3050.jpg.bdfb3619b1cb6285fa762e9b962d1d35.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3051.jpg.20fd9ff779fd8a514501f7c601e94874.jpg

I think those last 4 bottles are the ones that will send you screaming.  Pretty sure they didn't touch those yet lol.

thumbnail_IMG_3047.jpg.03e0ffccba76b16d848ac9f772cb59b6.jpg

I should do this more often....made a relaxing and fun dinner that I didn't have to stress out about.  I ordered more of that cioppino from Phil's Fish Market via Goldbelly.  Really good.   Thawed it out in a big pot, another big pot of boiling water for the past and voila done.  I made bread--that Grandma's French bread like I've posted before but that escaped the pictures (I did both that and two loaves of white bread for sandwiches a week ago and put them in the freezer --makes life easier lol)

Some tomatoes....and the dressing is homemade ranch that I had already put out.  Planned to slice some garden cucumbers to go with that but they were SO BITTER that I had to trash them.  I picked two more today...maybe they will be better.

thumbnail_IMG_3049.jpg.51d18ed44c686ed707fec6aeb20886a1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3048.jpg.616dbec35fbde8e0cc386dc5c4ad0ae6.jpg

It started lightly raining around 5 this morning.  Very welcome rain for sure.  We've irrigated our soybeans more than any other year.  I don't even know if our dryland ones are going to make.  The people across the road baled their beans for feed.

Nice and rainy where the guys are hunting today, too.  They said it's been so dry that the doves still fly around like crazy even if it's raining.

thumbnail_IMG_1608-1.jpg.e9c0068c4267905db31138cba695dadb.jpg

Our friend opted for Mexican food this evening so I'm going to hang out for a while here, take a shower and then get busy.

Do you cater fishing trips? Just joking. All that food would be a great reward after a day outdoors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

So how is Chum handling being out of the hunting action?

I'm giving her extra snacks and hugs.  She's actually doing pretty well.  Napping a lot.  Some days she doesn't seem to care...other days like today she's pacing a lot and looking out the window.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

My husband likes to tell a story on himself, from before I met him. He and his boss were discussing their housekeeping habits.

His boss said, "My floor looks like I could eat off of it."

Darling said, "My floor looks like I have!"

One of my GF's favorite stories is about her first "dinner date" with her now-ex, when they were teens.

He picked her up, collected the pizza along the way, and took her back to the mobile home he shared with his divorced dad. He led her into the living room, ceremoniously cleared a large quantity of parts from the seat of the snowmobile that took up most of the room, and laid out (with a flourish) a towel on the seat so the grease wouldn't get on her pants. Then he washed "the" fork - yes, singular, in a house containing two more-or-less adults - so she could use it, while he ate with his hands.

She refers to that as one of her "in retrospect, there were a lot of things I should have inferred" moments.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Yesterday was much the same as the day before....lots of doves were gotten in the morning and then home around 1 pm to start working on projects outside.

I cleaned a bit, rested my leg a bit....ok, well a lot lol....then around 2 I started on dinner.  Salsa making was going to take forever because my tomatoes are literally the size of grape/cherry tomatoes.  I blanched them all in boiling water and then put them in a cold water bath and peeled and peeled.

Very tiny.

thumbnail_IMG_2927.jpg.120ab9acd5b9f9ab2522efc3145b09c7.jpg

I kept looking out the window for Fedex.  I was supposed to have 2 Misfits boxes coming.  They always arrive around 2:30.......

Anyway.  

Salsa is our tomatoes and peppers and then our guest brought a Vidalia onion with him so that was used too.   Also made a really trashy velveeta cheese dip with some homemade rotel that I canned the summer before this one.

thumbnail_IMG_3057.jpg.9c0593805186ed2afffbdf2345656674.jpg

There was going to be guacamole until it hit my dumb ass that I had forgotten to take the avocados  out of the fridge days ago so they would ripen.  Sigh.  I googled.  There is a method where you wrap them in foil and bake in the oven for 10 mins at 200F

thumbnail_IMG_3054.jpg.6b44b44689a1691777b475a602f5ba86.jpg

Don't try this.  It doesn't work.

Moving on to the enchiladas.  I had made the pork filling a while ago and froze it. Not exciting to look at so I didn't take a picture.  Also made green tomatillo sauce back when Misfits had tomatillos....and froze that.

thumbnail_IMG_2760-1.jpg.0895b235d75033aea0149696e71a1b61.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2762-1.jpg.2987de423239f961f92658332b067e3a.jpg

I had grand plans to order fresh Hatch chiles ( and some roasted frozen ones) online.  All was good until I got to the shipping prices.  Holy crap.  The cheapest was over $100 and that was like 3-4 day delivery.  It's been so hot that that wouldn't work.  So, canned chiles it is.

thumbnail_IMG_3058.jpg.2009ec49bf305b75a519d339d83f8631.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3059.jpg.92d1c171e7374a87eb281d592f46f927.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3060.jpg.181c3ca0cb2768505c18d4168d2ccb9f.jpg

I'm feeling pretty proud of myself by now.  It's only like 4:30 and I am so ahead of the game!  

Got the RG beans done

thumbnail_IMG_3061.jpg.231cdd04e83bdaf17d520360c24f8198.jpg

Even made a street corn side dish

thumbnail_IMG_3062.jpg.22bae13e2494b55c174673ba232841c8.jpg

And then things fell apart when at 6:30 the Misfits boxes arrived 🙃Totally threw me off my picture taking.

Soooo....the enchiladas looked something like this when done (older picture)

thumbnail_IMG_2901-1.jpg.961169268d4ce18c9507561d15074289.jpg

I hurried and got the things that needed to be in fridge done....gotta do the rest today.

The guys ate breakfast burritos again this morning.  Those seem to have worked really well --they can eat them whenever they get hungry during the morning.  I'm out of those now, so I will be making breakfast sandwiches or something later today.

Teal season opened this morning but I'm told they haven't gotten any yet

thumbnail_IMG_1609-1.jpg.c70eecfa60aa2725b4b1524dbfee7c38.jpg

I'm also told that it's getting hot already and, as you can see, Scout is feeling it.

thumbnail_IMG_1610-1.jpg.be3a5542ecceba20962200ff0aab2ec8.jpg

And, yes, she is laying in a big patch of marijuana...in fact, they call it "the marijuana patch".  The doves love it in there......

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

And, yes, she is laying in a big patch of marijuana...in fact, they call it "the marijuana patch".  The doves love it in there......

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

the doves still fly around like crazy even if it's raining.

....think the doves be flying around like crazy because they love that marijuana patch 'o theirs!

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The Kroger stores here all had Hatch chiles. Lots of them for the last several weeks.  I was there earlier this week and they were gone, but I have a bunch of roasted and peeled chiles in the freezer. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

16 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

The Kroger stores here all had Hatch chiles. Lots of them for the last several weeks.  I was there earlier this week and they were gone, but I have a bunch of roasted and peeled chiles in the freezer. 

I am definitely jealous and kicking myself for not seeing if our big city store had them.  They didn't last Monday so I assume I missed the window if they did.

Happy Sunday!!!

No ducks were gotten yesterday :( ......it's just so damn hot.

The guys stayed here today to do some work around the house that I'm ever so grateful for.  Our friend was supposed to leave early in the morning but has changed his flight to leaving this evening due to something popping up at work.  So....this will be the last post for this trip.

I vacuum packed and froze I don't know how many doves yesterday.  Our friend is going to take some home with him along with some jalapeños from the garden.

After doing the doves I made another muffuletta cheesecake  using the Instant Pot .  Our guest raved about it.  I think it's over half gone.

thumbnail_IMG_3066.jpg.b73fcf7abdff211ae676c48f30f291e5.jpg

The guys grilled doves for dinner......so we had that along with an Asian chicken salad, roasted broccoli and Mac and cheese.

thumbnail_IMG_3067.jpg.065535477eccd0d59c99dc450cfe795a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3068.jpg.af377ea807db97ed013260b3517bda17.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3069.jpg.8c623f1afc6549178234938badd18789.jpg

I think we are all a little pooped.......especially Scout

thumbnail_IMG_8206.thumb.jpg.dbb93362037c9f42eb861fc964e597f9.jpg

See you over here in December!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the reminder of that IP Muffaletta cheesecake! It's delicious and should be kept in the eG consciousness! I can't get your wonderful doves to feed people, but I can surely share that cheesecake. :x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 minutes ago, SLB said:

I've been away, this was so much fun to come back to!

Hope your leg heals up soon, Shelby! 

And, Lord knows, if you, uh, need some help out thataway . . . .

Thank you so much.  It's .....not healing as fast as I'd like but it is improving so my stubborn self isn't going to the doctor.

Do you have a Filson hunting coat?

🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks so much for doing this, Shelby!  I SO look forward to it.  I used to use something similar to those hashbrowns all the time.  Don’t know why I stopped.  They ARE good – and I don’t care for any of the other varieties of the dried boxed potatoes.  I like with those you soak them in the carton – the ones that I used to buy you had to soak them in a bowl.  Have you ever tried dumping in some dried onions before soaking?  That’s nice.

You make everything – the food, the welcome, etc.  so wonderful.  Your friend must think he’s died and gone to heaven. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 9:47 AM, Shelby said:

I had grand plans to order fresh Hatch chiles ( and some roasted frozen ones) online.  All was good until I got to the shipping prices.

This exact same shock, over here.  I put off ordering them until I was in the middle of my August vacation, trying to time the delivery.  And then when I got to shipping I about fell over dead.  

Nope.

At the time, I thought I was going to be stopping in Denver on my way back from vacation and just figured I'd put a pile in my suitcase.  But then I didn't make the stop, so . . . .

The truth is, there are lots of interesting chilis here, so I'm just going to have to buckle down to some experimentation.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack.

Let the disorganization begin 🤣.

Our friend gets here tomorrow around 10:30 as usual.    It's currently 33F and flurrying (is that a word?).  Going to be cold the whole trip except for Friday.  Better to be cold than hot for sure.

Ankle still not right....but it's better than it was last time we were here so there's that.  I might just have a permanent limp.  Things could be worse and I now have a really good weather predictor 'cause it ramps up when it's cold lol.

Got some Christmas put out.  It feels cozy with all of the lights on at night.

thumbnail_IMG_3514.jpg.b4133e406cc800fe6320a48fa3c795fc.jpg

We just returned from going to the grocery store and Sam's.  I was stupidly surprised at finding some shortages again!  Sam's had no veg. oil or cream.  Dillon's had no flour (well, they had the expensive King Arthur brand but not their Kroger brand) and no large containers veg. oil.  A fellow shopper mentioned to me that she's fearing shortages again....I told her I'm thinking the same thing.  

image.jpeg.5617ff001fe3a78d487e0f14f32a28de.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_3523.jpg.ea08289dc82167eddbc0469a949243bf.jpg

Got to clean the fridge out and put groceries away.  Then I'm going to make a huge pot of ham and beans.  Things are up in the air so I want to be prepared.  If they come home for lunch tomorrow then I'll heat the beans up and make a batch of cornbread.  If they don't then I'll do the same thing, except for dinner :) .

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1