• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Good morning!

Going to be another hot one today--93F for a high.

I've been out to feed and play with the cats.  I'm now sitting here watching the hummingbirds bombard the feeders.  Scout got up at least three times over night and wanted out soooooo......it wasn't a very restful night lol.

Last night's dinner that Ronnie helped me with.  When I feel uninspired breakfast for dinner always comes through.

thumbnail_IMG_3024.jpg.e3c80a700c1ffadaf8720f6a6943828f.jpg

Anyone ever tried these?

thumbnail_IMG_3025.jpg.f44ddd22e11807bf8d324c70288f7238.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3026.jpg.ee41004ebad0acad786acaf1f8b47dce.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3027.jpg.e412af05d3ed53d3b86cf77759c123f5.jpg

My mom and stepdad bought a case of them for us--I think off of Amazon.  They are really good.  Nice that they don't take up space in the freezer.  And, my lazy self doesn't like making hash browns from scratch a lot of the time.

I bought a case of these at Costco.  I tried one, and sorry, we didn't care for them but i'm glad you like them.  I think I expected them to not be as loose as they were.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I bought a case of these at Costco.  I tried one, and sorry, we didn't care for them but i'm glad you like them.  I think I expected them to not be as loose as they were.

The ones we made last night were crunchy on the outside--crunchy in the good way--and soft on the inside and held together like they should.  Mine soaked for longer than the recommended time, I wonder if that helped out?

The guys were going to stop at a restaurant to eat, but it was packed so they opted to come home.  Ronnie smoked a small pork roast the other day and I SV'd yesterday.  They made themselves BBQ pork sandwiches.  Not fancy, but they filled them up.

thumbnail_IMG_3030.jpg.0a9d7263fc8d354ea11ed2efff436a44.jpg

And I didn't lift a finger lol.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Hello!

Guys got up at like 5:15 this morning.  Ugh.  I tried unsuccessfully to go back to sleep.

But, I digress.  Back to yesterday:

They took some pictures for us at the shooting house.

I'm told it was in better shape than it was last year at this time.  I think we had some bad storms that really put a hurt on it back then.thumbnail_IMG_1591-1.jpg.ff5a6445ac46c4a9b99eb6560c74ccef.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1595.jpg.e70f968796a36e4c865b2ee922500c9c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1598-1.jpg.918e17e0c5dbe5f9525bc5d6b345b907.jpg

Here is the food plot that is right in front of the building.  They planted rye yesterday.

thumbnail_IMG_1593-1.jpg.3c8cef1974755d5f2ae80479851ef0d1.jpg

While they were working in the terrible heat, I was nice and cool inside making food 😬

Breakfast burritos--now I don't have to make breakfast at least for tomorrow...maybe longer if they don't get sick of these.

thumbnail_IMG_3031.jpg.803d09970963f6c66d66383bba790ccc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3033.jpg.febb002f928e963a0296196c024a90cf.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3034.jpg.70871f8e613d6a266d0664d905095eb1.jpg

A decidedly not fancy dip for an appetizer.  Although....I did go all out and put it in a bread bowl 🙃

thumbnail_IMG_3029.jpg.7eb7d628358185c209da8e798241bcaf.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3035.jpg.52dc073b84b9945433579ca62399ba51.jpg

Venison meatloaf for dinner.

Lecter kept trying to dip his foot in the  mix arrrgh.

thumbnail_IMG_3036.jpg.1aab247e4a5ecd95c06da36eb70d6146.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3037.jpg.74512a08bd2cb3d00e13ccac1201ebb1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3040.jpg.266f3e5629f3ca69d85065ea7bf88708.jpg

I'm going to stare at Wordle for a while and then take a shower.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

24 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Surely there are attachments to accommodate females...

Just as soon as Shelby decides to do the hunting and leaves Ronnie to do the cooking adjustments will surly be made.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Happy Friday!!

As you saw yesterday they had a good hunt.  Then they came home and got right to work rebuilding parts of the porch.  How they can do that when it's so hot I'll never know.  I certainly couldn't.  They weren't hungry for lunch so around 4 I set out marinated mushrooms, olives, spiced pecans, crackers and a selection of meats and cheeses.  

thumbnail_IMG_3046.jpg.0a1be288428069e6fb7af0e03b26a56b.jpg

Our friend sent us the newest collection of hot sauces from the Heatonist--I think it was last year that I posted about that?

Anyway, I had some frozen oysters and thought they would be perfect to test the sauces out on.

thumbnail_IMG_3050.jpg.bdfb3619b1cb6285fa762e9b962d1d35.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3051.jpg.20fd9ff779fd8a514501f7c601e94874.jpg

I think those last 4 bottles are the ones that will send you screaming.  Pretty sure they didn't touch those yet lol.

thumbnail_IMG_3047.jpg.03e0ffccba76b16d848ac9f772cb59b6.jpg

I should do this more often....made a relaxing and fun dinner that I didn't have to stress out about.  I ordered more of that cioppino from Phil's Fish Market via Goldbelly.  Really good.   Thawed it out in a big pot, another big pot of boiling water for the past and voila done.  I made bread--that Grandma's French bread like I've posted before but that escaped the pictures (I did both that and two loaves of white bread for sandwiches a week ago and put them in the freezer --makes life easier lol)

Some tomatoes....and the dressing is homemade ranch that I had already put out.  Planned to slice some garden cucumbers to go with that but they were SO BITTER that I had to trash them.  I picked two more today...maybe they will be better.

thumbnail_IMG_3049.jpg.51d18ed44c686ed707fec6aeb20886a1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3048.jpg.616dbec35fbde8e0cc386dc5c4ad0ae6.jpg

It started lightly raining around 5 this morning.  Very welcome rain for sure.  We've irrigated our soybeans more than any other year.  I don't even know if our dryland ones are going to make.  The people across the road baled their beans for feed.

Nice and rainy where the guys are hunting today, too.  They said it's been so dry that the doves still fly around like crazy even if it's raining.

thumbnail_IMG_1608-1.jpg.e9c0068c4267905db31138cba695dadb.jpg

Our friend opted for Mexican food this evening so I'm going to hang out for a while here, take a shower and then get busy.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Interesting that doves are flitting about in the rain.

I like the idea of setting out appetizer/snacky foods so they could eat at their own pace - esp with the heat. I looked out the other day after our heat and the vibrant green asparagus ferns were brown! Very tragic.  I have not seen pasta in cioppino but think it is great to absorb those wonderful seafood juices. I swear I can taste your bitter cucumber right now. I find them alot like bitter melon which I like cooked but it does provoke an intense mouth pucker that lingers.

***WARNING - broad generalization***  Some men crack me up. Get up in their truck and scrunch down on empty water bottles soda cans etc BUT their tools and equipment on work truck are super organized and neat. Everything in its place, cords unkinked, small items like screws neatly categorized. Thought of that when you showed them sprucing up the shoot house.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

Interesting that doves are flitting about in the rain.

I like the idea of setting out appetizer/snacky foods so they could eat at their own pace - esp with the heat. I looked out the other day after our heat and the vibrant green asparagus ferns were brown! Very tragic.  I have not seen pasta in cioppino but think it is great to absorb those wonderful seafood juices. I swear I can taste your bitter cucumber right now. I find them alot like bitter melon which I like cooked but it does provoke an intense mouth pucker that lingers.

***WARNING - broad generalization***  Some men crack me up. Get up in their truck and scrunch down on empty water bottles soda cans etc BUT their tools and equipment on work truck are super organized and neat. Everything in its place, cords unkinked, small items like screws neatly categorized. Thought of that when you showed them sprucing up the shoot house.

I don't quite know where I got the pasta idea --for some reason I thought that's how it's traditionally eaten😳  It was good and like you said, the pasta sopped the juices up.

Our friend is very very tidy and orderly.  You could eat off of his garage floor.  Us?  Not so much lol.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Shelby said:

They weren't hungry for lunch so around 4 I set out marinated mushrooms, olives, spiced pecans, crackers and a selection of meats and cheeses.  

That is such a beautiful selection. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Our friend is very very tidy and orderly.  You could eat off of his garage floor.  Us?  Not so much lol.

My husband likes to tell a story on himself, from before I met him. He and his boss were discussing their housekeeping habits.

His boss said, "My floor looks like I could eat off of it."

Darling said, "My floor looks like I have!"

• Haha 10

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Charcuterie, oysters, homegrown tomatoes, cioppino - wow, wow, wow!

With some of your homemade bread, I would happily make a meal out of any one of those four!

Don't worry, we'll soon be back to onion dip from the Lipton package and pickle rollups 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I'm sure you'll do wonders with that "sad little garden pick," Shelby!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown