• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

@Shelby, have you ever tried cutting smaller chunks - one or two bites each, to marinade, skewer and then barbecue as kebabs? That might work for tough meat, though I couldn't swear to it. 

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

LOL here we all are, giving advice to the Italian nonna of wild game!

• Haha 3

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

LOL here we all are, giving advice to the Italian nonna of wild game!

Given the number of antlers, I doubt there is a single thing we could teach @Shelbyabout what to do was wild game. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh I'm no Nonna, but I appreciate the praise lol!  

Honestly, the best thing that I know to do with tough meat like that is pressure cook the heck out of it in a stew.  Even cut smaller--such as a kebob, it's still tough.  Life is too short to eat tough meat! 😁--unless of course an apocalypse comes ...then any kind of meat would probably do.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

are you able to spend a little precious

time during the butchering 

to take a few tougher

but tastier  thick to large cuts

and bag and fz to then SV when you have more time ?

of course , as a theoretician 

dry : tough ==  SV

at least for a few cuts ?

I should try that...what's the harm...none at all.  I still have a whole backstrap.

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

I have a pretty good idea

thanks to your pics 

of what the backstap is.

are there '' shoulders ""   ,  ""  Brisket - ish ""

thanks 

Yes, there are shoulders.  But you would not want to do a brisket type anything.  We make a few roasts--meaning pressure cooked or in the slow cooker--with the shoulders.  Again, there is no fat at all running through the meat so it's dry dry dry.  Now, I will say that @andiesenjitold me years ago about threading fat through venison using a needle type utensil.  I've always wanted to do it, but haven't yet.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, heidih said:

thank you so so much. So this is not your new biz plan? ;) https://www.cabinplace.com/antlerchandelier-Whitetail21.htm?

LOL it's crazy how much people will pay for antlers.  I guess we should look into that ha ha ha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oh I'm no Nonna, but I appreciate the praise lol!  

Honestly, the best thing that I know to do with tough meat like that is pressure cook the heck out of it in a stew.  Even cut smaller--such as a kebob, it's still tough.  Life is too short to eat tough meat! 😁--unless of course an apocalypse comes ...then any kind of meat would probably do.

Meat flavored chewing gum!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you so much for linking to the bread recipe – looks like something I would like to try.  One question – you bake it in the CSO, but do you also rise it there? 

I’m so sorry, but I admit that I laughed in a very unladylike manner when I saw Miss Scout’s nefarious deed.  I even called Mr. Kim and Jessica over to see it.   All three of us have experience with animals doing those things.  Mr. Kim grew up with a Collie/Norwegian Elkhound blend who once ate FIVE filet mignons that his mom had set out for Mr. Kim’s 16th birthday dinner and who also ate Mr. Kim’s and his siblings' Whitman’s samplers from under the Xmas tree early one Xmas morning (with NO negative results). 

Lord. I am reminded of my erstwhile first weimaraner, Duchess, who once reared up on the kitchen counter and licked the icing off more than half the cupcakes I had prepared to take to kindergarten for Child A's birthday.

I re-iced them and took them anyway. Never knew of a kid suffering from sharing snacks with a dog.

One of her successors, Dixie, was well known for her stomach of ceramic glazed cast iron. On different occasions, that dog ate a box of two dozen fundraiser candy bars, an entire chocolate chip pie, a two-pound can of coffee, a box of shotgun shells, and the back of the bathroom door.

Re: Toughness of venison. Rule of thumb is does are more tender than bucks, younger is more tender than older. And the meat is better from a clean kill as opposed to one you have to track a mile or two. At least in these parts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Happy Fall to the folks on my side of the world-- Happy Spring to those that are opposite!!

Our hunter friend will be here around 10:30 tomorrow morning.  He hasn't been here since the last time I posted on this blog.  SO much has happened since we last saw him.  I feel like I've aged at least 10 years (and I look like it too).  Health crap sucks.  Leg/ankle are slooooooooly getting better.  If I didn't feel like there was improvement I would have gone to the doctor.  It still hurts ...a lot more when I'm on it a ton.  Grocery store about did me in yesterday lol.  But, I'm hobbling along and it will get better.

Something made me feel like decorating for fall several weeks ago even though it felt (still does)  like the depths of summer.  Thank goodness or else it wouldn't have gotten done after the Scout ambush lol.

A few pictures to get you in the fall mood maybe:

thumbnail_IMG_3018.jpg.2cf10530f37df16063f899ded4cf966e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3019.jpg.2cb9cb1ad39e2c20a36fc07856a24f4c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3020.jpg.622e5d0b14830c51b2d6db9f3ea17a86.jpg

The poor garden....started out SO well.  But then the heat hit and even though we watered the hell out of it, it just didn't take off.  The tomatoes were mostly all the size of cherry tomatoes.  I didn't can a thing which is so not like normal.  But, considering all of my yucky stuff going on, it's kind of a good thing.  We had such a banner year last year that I have a lot canned up in the basement yet so it's all good.  Everything happens (or doesn't happen lol) for a reason I guess.  Melons and cucumbers were good.  As are the pumpkins!!  

Ronnie said he counted at least 50 big orange guys out there.  Here's the patch:

thumbnail_IMG_3021.jpg.f4e0202c5bfd55a1eb0daae194e30334.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3022.jpg.a5477291febf41c5aa926ec9801f56d0.jpg

A baby:

thumbnail_IMG_3023.jpg.d0bd0d8ac1833af20b5bece2d0c29d87.jpg

They look wilty because it's 91F out there right now.  Ugh.  COME ON WINTER!

I haven't picked any yet because #1: leg #2: the guys are planning on doing some work on the front and back porches.

So, as usual, it's dove and duck season now.  There is hardly any water around because no rain and most ALL of the ponds have dried up.  On our property with the windmill that I showed somewhere upthread Ronnie has been pumping water out like crazy to fill ours. That should make the ducks dive-bomb in there.  We will see.

So, that's the latest.  I'm off to do some last minute things and figure out dinner for tonight.  I wish I was better at planning lol.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Your efforts are much appreciated and anticipated. Can't control the weather - or life. Don't overdo - we appreciate any and all you show us :) I think it was @BonVivant  who showed winter squashes. My heart melted even though it was hotter than hades here. Love your decor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t beat yourself up! The decorating is fabulous. Your hunter friend will have a great time as will all of us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, catdaddy said:

I love that you still take the time to share all the activity around fall/hunting season. Thanks, Shelby.

I love that you still like to see what's happening.  I feel like a rerun lol.

• Like 7

Holy smoly, Shelby -- I am incapable of decorating even at the best of times. I'm very impressed with yours, and your ambition! I'm sure you and Ronnie and your hunter friend will have a grand time. Like many others here, I'll be eager to read about your hunting season!

I have to ask: what is this crazy mask-beast-thing made of? Did you make it?

Screenshot_20220913_202730.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

Holy smoly, Shelby -- I am incapable of decorating even at the best of times. I'm very impressed with yours, and your ambition! I'm sure you and Ronnie and your hunter friend will have a grand time. Like many others here, I'll be eager to read about your hunting season!

I have to ask: what is this crazy mask-beast-thing made of? Did you make it?

Screenshot_20220913_202730.jpg

It's just cloth.  A friend bought it for me years ago at a craft show. :) 

• Like 3

Good morning!

Going to be another hot one today--93F for a high.

I've been out to feed and play with the cats.  I'm now sitting here watching the hummingbirds bombard the feeders.  Scout got up at least three times over night and wanted out soooooo......it wasn't a very restful night lol.

Last night's dinner that Ronnie helped me with.  When I feel uninspired breakfast for dinner always comes through.

thumbnail_IMG_3024.jpg.e3c80a700c1ffadaf8720f6a6943828f.jpg

Anyone ever tried these?

thumbnail_IMG_3025.jpg.f44ddd22e11807bf8d324c70288f7238.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3026.jpg.ee41004ebad0acad786acaf1f8b47dce.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3027.jpg.e412af05d3ed53d3b86cf77759c123f5.jpg

My mom and stepdad bought a case of them for us--I think off of Amazon.  They are really good.  Nice that they don't take up space in the freezer.  And, my lazy self doesn't like making hash browns from scratch a lot of the time.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

I've never seen those, much less tried them! I agree that it would be nice not to be taking up freezer space, although in our household the shelf / cupboard space is also at a premium already heavily occupied.

I totally get the convenience factor. Last year I demonstrated to my darling that it's no work at all to grate potatoes for hash browns (for 2, anyway) and that the frozen shredded spuds are unnecessary. He believed me. Have I made hash brown since? No.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I've never seen those, much less tried them! I agree that it would be nice not to be taking up freezer space, although in our household the shelf / cupboard space is also at a premium already heavily occupied.

I totally get the convenience factor. Last year I demonstrated to my darling that it's no work at all to grate potatoes for hash browns (for 2, anyway) and that the frozen shredded spuds are unnecessary. He believed me. Have I made hash brown since? No.

I forget.  Do you bake your potatoes first and then grate them?