• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I think that food looks wonderful. I can't BELIEVE you still have tomatoes, even if they're dwindling fast! What's in that salsa -- jalapenos, or green bell peppers (we won't tell the others) or botth? And how do you do the tortillas for that salad? i still have tortilla ineptitude.

I can't believe it either.  The green ones that I had mostly picked just to make fried green tomatoes ripened a lot better than I thought they would.  Down-side: no fried green tomatoes.  Here is the sad lot that's left:

thumbnail_IMG_1557.jpg.d876d55033a3e579f7c56053bec451a3.jpg

All green was jalapeños.  It was spicy.

I press the tortillas into these things

thumbnail_IMG_1558.jpg.c7f35da02b5d9eec04654486cf84828b.jpg

and bake in the CSO at 350 for ten minutes.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I can't believe it either.  The green ones that I had mostly picked just to make fried green tomatoes ripened a lot better than I thought they would.  Down-side: no fried green tomatoes.  Here is the sad lot that's left:

thumbnail_IMG_1557.jpg.d876d55033a3e579f7c56053bec451a3.jpg

All green was jalapeños.  It was spicy.

I press the tortillas into these things

thumbnail_IMG_1558.jpg.c7f35da02b5d9eec04654486cf84828b.jpg

and bake in the CSO at 350 for ten minutes.

Oboy, another excuse to go shopping for kitchen toys!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh, and I wanted to confirm: is that a fresh salsa, or did you cook it after cutting everything up? It looks raw / fresh. 

I want some!

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Oh, and I wanted to confirm: is that a fresh salsa, or did you cook it after cutting everything up? It looks raw / fresh. 

I want some!

Yes, all fresh.  No cooking.  I should experiment with that, though.  I have salsa left and it changes flavors after being in the fridge overnight...cooking it would help with that.  But, I do love fresh salsa.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yes, all fresh.  No cooking.  I should experiment with that, though.  I have salsa left and it changes flavors after being in the fridge overnight...cooking it would help with that.  But, I do love fresh salsa.

I find the fine work of chopping (to the proper size) to be either meditative or a massive PITA, depending on my time and mood. What's your take on it? Do you do it all by hand? What's your recipe, if you don't mind sharing?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I find the fine work of chopping (to the proper size) to be either meditative or a massive PITA, depending on my time and mood. What's your take on it? Do you do it all by hand? What's your recipe, if you don't mind sharing?

SAME.  I started early yesterday and made the salsa first--otherwise, when I'm feeling pressured it's like I just throw halves of everything in and you need like a 20 lb. chip to eat it off of.  

I do it all by hand...I like it chunky and I always over process it in the Cuisinart.

It's easy peasy.

Peeled, chopped tomatoes

Peeled, chopped onion

Chopped jalapeno

Chopped cilantro

Lawry's Salt

Granulated garlic

Lots of cumin

Squeezes of fresh lime juice

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Shelby said:

and you need like a 20 lb. chip to eat it off of.  

😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy Friday!

Not much happening on the hunting front,  but hopefully that is changing as we speak.  They decided to duck hunt this morning--or maybe goose or both. Hopefully some kind of bird for dinner tonight.  Scout got to go so she's over the moon.  Cold front comes in tonight and that's a good thing.  I'm really glad they haven't gotten a deer in this heat.  It would have been a pain and involved a gigantic cooler and lots of ice.

Here is one of the many ponds that they hunt on-- this is the one that I showed pictures of a couple years ago that is by the windmill that we fill ourselves.

IMGP0051.thumb.JPG.7e29444ff6b57fecba658bdceaeec25f.JPG

IMGP0054.thumb.JPG.c7aab1c14e828e7fb70183088c4f5f89.JPG

They came home around two yesterday afternoon and got out the leftover guacamole, salsa and cheese dip.  After they grazed there was still some left and our friend suggested breakfast burritos to use it up.  Good thinking!  Ham, eggs, salsa that I drained, guacamole and cheese.

thumbnail_IMG_1562.jpg.53ba3f5f900e4d9a8c93ddd14671a9ff.jpg

I made four so there are two left for tomorrow morning.

I needed to replenish the bread so since the mixer was going to get dirty from that, I decided pizza night was the way to go.  I made the pizza dough first and then the bread.

thumbnail_IMG_1563.jpg.595a617ed2b45d8f8f80e57c9651ace0.jpg

The guys went to a spot that is close to home, and they ate before the went out for the evening, but I figured they would still eat some light nibbles.

thumbnail_IMG_1559.jpg.5e1e958f7b9fc55c44b674a954c2be85.jpg

Everyone really liked the truffle cheese from Imperfect Foods.  Sometimes I don't care for truffle in certain things but this was really good.

thumbnail_IMG_1560.jpg.628f4c7c4bbf63b4b784fd6bc731f3e8.jpg

Big salad and sausage\pepperoni\mushroom pizza

thumbnail_IMG_1564.jpg.d85836dd73b2cf3025655d0ab7f9bbf4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1565.jpg.335e8daac8df4295d9952ec69072e521.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1567.jpg.42aaa747519a8150b7ecaccf5abf0f71.jpg

I'm waiting to hear if we have ducks and or geese for tonight.....I need to start thinking of a back up meal in case there are none....but I hope there are.  I already told the kittens they were getting a treat later.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

So how come Chum had to stay home?  I love that your hunter gave you the burrito idea. Over time you have probably expanded his palate.

Chum is just not up to it any more.  She has several fatty tumors.  Getting in and out of the truck is a mighty task.  She goes sometimes if it's just Ronnie and it's going to be a short easy hunt.  But even those easy hunts take her days to recover from.  She's snoring on the couch as we speak.

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

That must be so hard for her to feel the urge but not have the means. Thanks for the explanation. 

It's a feeling most of us must eventually come to terms with.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Big hugs to sweet Chum.  ❤️  If only you could explain that staying home with Momma means more yummy snacks!

But you can't explain less physical activity + aging joints means gotta watch the weight.

No ducks or geese, but a NICE 11 point buck I'm told :) .  Perfect timing for the cold front.

They said they took tons of pictures so, tomorrow, more to come :) I'm knee deep in dinner.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Saturday!

A nice buck is hanging in the garage :) 

They went to a closer place yesterday afternoon than the shooting house.  I was surprised to look out and see the truck backing in (always a sign that a deer was gotten) when it was still daylight out!

This is their little enclosure that they sit in

thumbnail_IMG_1151-1.jpg.8bd789a72282960abad6027f848c65d7.jpg

View from the inside out

thumbnail_IMG_1152-1.jpg.d26bb3df29b0984a4112340758c0ef27.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1150-1.jpg.1e07d591857a7a11b3126bd9901671e1.jpg

I don't know if I've commented on this or not in the past.  We have an electric winch that comes in handy big time when hanging the deer.

thumbnail_IMG_1153-1.jpg.81baeea74751ad2bfb590c733384edeb.jpg

Place slits in the legs

thumbnail_IMG_1154.jpg.4eb1ca08ca5e0009ff9c70743602ba4d.jpg

Poke the hanger through

thumbnail_IMG_1155-1.jpg.ff6dd91deab56990f8f491f30d40bac6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1156-1.jpg.9c071cce9b9735fe21d42af1e9dbc0d6.jpg

Removal of the innards and the ever coveted tenderloins

thumbnail_IMG_1159.jpg.febaf5f201293feea0cf7befb44681b6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1161-1.jpg.a4f5478c98d2cabbedbbfbf3c5205ffc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1162-1.jpg.8994527cccdac9b6034b93f8bba0c322.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1163-1.jpg.a3fe4a1434f5eba78aaeea79a0ec42f1.jpg

The knife in the pan was a gift to Ronnie from our friend.  It's a sharp one!

thumbnail_IMG_1575.jpg.475f9f44b0dab81207a0e8e34baec12d.jpg

I think these tenderloins are going to be the opposite of tender--he is a tough buck, but we will see.

I made another board similar to the day before except I added a new cheese and more meats

thumbnail_IMG_1573.jpg.b4a895f5343787de3d137c7fbab6cfbf.jpg

Not spicy at all.  Kind of a disappointment.

thumbnail_IMG_1574.jpg.ba0200f6deb3546a8cff8afb78198923.jpg

If you'd have told me we would be having BLT's on December 3rd, I'd have patted you on your silly head and sent you on your way lol.  But here we are.  I still have a few precious tomatoes left.

thumbnail_IMG_1580.jpg.1597e59e71cf6f7364349710ee807082.jpg

Broccoli salad and fries to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_1576.jpg.214280446b551f75dfde1f78a7f19ad0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1579.jpg.d108cfe6aa354a079a941231f498afc4.jpg

Our hunter wanted me to specifically show his plate and point out how gourmet it is.  That's hot sauce on top of each sandwich 🙄 🤣

thumbnail_IMG_1581.jpg.ee8f29e0d7224cdbf9e8ffc84a6f7890.jpg

I gotta clean my stove.  I made a hell of a mess making the fries.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

When you get around to it, I'd like to know how you cook the backstrap. My dear husband's daughter brought us one, vacuum packed, and I don't want to mess it up. Sous vide isn't an option here, but with something so tender it may not be necessary. 

Same question goes for the tenderloin, in case that's what is buried in our freezer! 

I love your BLTs and the broccoli salad. Hot sauce a special touch! LOL

Edited by Smithy
Added question and comment (log)
  • Like 1

Incidentally, your broccoli salad looks like it includes shredded cheddar. Is that right? It looks prettier than the one I make.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Incidentally, your broccoli salad looks like it includes shredded cheddar. Is that right? It looks prettier than the one I make.

Yeah....everything is better with cheese 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't know if I've commented on this or not in the past.  We have an electric wench that comes in handy big time when hanging the deer.

I'm sorry, I know it was just a typo, but "electric wench" makes me envision one of the frontiers-y androids from Westworld helping you gut your deer. :)

• Haha 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

48 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'm sorry, I know it was just a typo, but "electric wench" makes me envision one of the frontiers-y androids from Westworld helping you gut your deer. :)

LOL!  I didn't even notice I did that.  I've corrected it. I wonder if my spell check changed it.  I don't think I've ever actually typed the word wench on purpose in a sentence.