• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Looking forward to this!

F358E93C-5523-43BD-AB45-7D7CF3E916F6.thumb.jpeg.ae0e59c29f2b451870669892137a792b.jpeg

My baby sister, in Nevada, got her deer last week.

WOW!  Rifle or bow...I'm guessing rifle.

I really didn't know that hunting in Nevada was a thing.  

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

WOW!  Rifle or bow...I'm guessing rifle.

I really didn't know that hunting in Nevada was a thing.  

Yes, rifle. She said the full moon was the biggest thing giving them trouble because the deer were grazing at night and not active at all during the day. She finally got her chance on day six. Not my idea of fun ~ I’d rather be birding! 😋

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Good luck Shelby.  Relax and enjoy the process.  And don’t forget to cook with wine.
cheers

Lots and lots of wine!

As to the deer...this was the highway sign we kept seeing in Iowa:

20211127_102034-1.jpg

Plenty around, but that's an expensive way to hunt. 

I'm with the others: your "hunting camp" is already far more upscale than any I've ever seen. I wish I were there! Then we could experiment with that Tajin seasoning!  

And I want to know more about the oyster stew when you get to it. 🙂 I don't think I've ever made oyster stew. I've enjoyed eating it, though. Am I correct in remembering that you have a chamber vacuum sealer so you could vacuum pack those oysters without wrecking the machine? My Food Saver wouldn't survive what you did.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

Lots and lots of wine!

As to the deer...this was the highway sign we kept seeing in Iowa:

20211127_102034-1.jpg

Plenty around, but that's an expensive way to hunt. 

I'm with the others: your "hunting camp" is already far more upscale than any I've ever seen. I wish I were there! Then we could experiment with that Tajin seasoning!  

And I want to know more about the oyster stew when you get to it. 🙂 I don't think I've ever made oyster stew. I've enjoyed eating it, though. Am I correct in remembering that you have a chamber vacuum sealer so you could vacuum pack those oysters without wrecking the machine? My Food Saver wouldn't survive what you did.

Good morning everyone!  Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement.  My cleaning angel is coming in a bit so I'm up pre-cleaning (yes, I'm psychotic).

Yes, there will be another stop at a liquor store tomorrow on the way home from the airport to stock me up further with wine--side note:  it's hard to find my delicious boxed wine due to packaging shortages apparently, so, we stock up when we can.

The deer are running around here like crazy--we need signs like that on the dirt roads lol.  I saw several had been hit on the highway near my house :( .

I think what I call oyster stew is more like a soup lol......I'm sure it's not authentic at all and if I make it, mine will contain some crappie or bass too.  But I will detail it all :) 

I adore my Vacmaster.  I realize now that I wish I had gotten one years before.  It is SO useful for us I really feel like I couldn't live without it.  Vac packing liquids helps save a lot of space in our freezers....broth is able to lay flat instead of in containers etc.

thumbnail_IMG_1537.jpg.ca384120e80c137fee910f2759c2993a.jpg

VM is a part of the family lol.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to reading along!

I envy your Vacmaster.  I have a food saver, and it supposedly can vacuum seal liquids, but I have never had any success doing that.  It's fine for dry stuff.  

Enjoy those oysters!  That's a great price.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Remind us of you box wine of choice please - brans and type.  

LOL I get ridiculed every time I mention it--I'm a cheap date.

Franzia Chillable Red --we buy by the case so that we get a discount.  If I can't find it the next choice is Peter Vella Delicious Red.  If I can't find that, either, I go to a white zinfandel. 

• Like 3

;) Aaww you're a sweetie who goes for the sweeter stuff I was on a bus trip once and charged with serving the wine - Peter Vella. As I recall that brand has a spout with a button you have to push hard. I had a sore thumb after filling the  plastic cups.

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Good luck Shelby.  Relax and enjoy the process.  And don’t forget to cook with wine.
cheers

Save some to drink as well ;)

P.S. - thank you as always for taking the time to share @Shelby - especially with everything on your plate, taking us along for the ride - c'est très gentil!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

LOL I get ridiculed every time I mention it--I'm a cheap date.

I am an equally cheap date. Perhaps even cheaper. I buy my wine by the cask. It is what you like that counts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We're even cheaper.  We go to a brew-your-own place.

What does that mean-- you make it or......

Don't tell Ronnie about this if it's cheaper..he'll be up there tonight.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

What a deal you got on the oysters!  What size are those containers?  They look small – just the size I need for our Christmas dressing.  And oyster stew…❤️❤️❤️.   Sorry the brittle candies aren’t great – peanut brittle is a favorite of mine. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

What a deal you got on the oysters!  What size are those containers?  They look small – just the size I need for our Christmas dressing.  And oyster stew…❤️❤️❤️.   Sorry the brittle candies aren’t great – peanut brittle is a favorite of mine. 

I don't know what size--there were about 10-12 oysters in each.  They were not tiny, but not the big slimy ones either.  They were good.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to make a soup\stew with them unless our friend hates oysters which I'm pretty sure he doesn't.  

I don't even know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow lol--talk about flying by the seat of your pants.  The house looks ok--lots of decor and twinkle lights.  My cleaning angel told me that I inspired her to decorate so that must mean it looks decent.

More tomorrow--the hunt begins...........

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Shelby said:

What does that mean-- you make it or......

Don't tell Ronnie about this if it's cheaper..he'll be up there tonight.

This is a link to a brew-your-own place that we use.  It explains the process.  In a nutshell, you go there, buy either wine concentrate or juice, mix it with water, add yeast.  They take it away and do all the rest of the work.  4 to 6 weeks later, we go back and bottle it.

https://store.defalcowines.com/How-to-Make-Wine-at-Our-Place.html

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

This is a link to a brew-your-own place that we use.  It explains the process.  In a nutshell, you go there, buy either wine concentrate or juice, mix it with water, add yeast.  They take it away and do all the rest of the work.  4 to 6 weeks later, we go back and bottle it.

https://store.defalcowines.com/How-to-Make-Wine-at-Our-Place.html

Wow!  OH Canada, you never fail to impress me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And so it begins......

Guys just loaded up and are off to the shooting house--much to Chum and Scout's dismay, they were not invited.

It seems like venison chili is my go-to on the first day.  I made a huge pot full and I'm going to shove it back in the garage fridge for later lunches--or spaghetti red for dinner.

thumbnail_IMG_1539.jpg.9fac567ed492d060c01758781920b6a6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1540.jpg.87726b29b8b248f850046fa47b1a477e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1542.jpg.c2c010b7dcc1270f9aaf5f6a715c25f4.jpg

Our hunter friend has been watching some kind of You Tube show called The Heatonist.  I guess the hosts interview different people and while they talk they work their way up the Scoville scale eating wings and hot sauce. I don't know what came first, the show or the hot sauces.  He sent us a gift pack and they decided that chili would be the perfect time to start sampling.  I sat back and watched lol.

thumbnail_IMG_1543.jpg.59fb220f58d1ea1f6523fbcf0b2a548d.jpg

There are two more that are most mild ones somewhere in the garage and I can't find them, but above is in order from least hot to hot.  They got up to the Chile Lengua De Fuego--that did them in.  Eyes started running and sweat started pouring lol.  I can't imagine what the last three will be like!

So, I'm cleaning up after lunch and snacking on some venison jerky that he brought.

thumbnail_IMG_1544.jpg.3c1dbc495752f7ba680b7072062c061e.jpg

Dr. Lecter decided to get up at 5 this morning and then he decided not to leave me alone until I did too, so I'm off to sneak a nap.  Mexican food is on the agenda for tonight, but I told them to text if in a couple of hours Mexican doesn't sound so good 🤣.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Shelby said:

And so it begins......

Guys just loaded up and are off to the shooting house--much to Chum and Scout's dismay, they were not invited.

It seems like venison chili is my go-to on the first day.  I made a huge pot full and I'm going to shove it back in the garage fridge for later lunches--or spaghetti red for dinner.

thumbnail_IMG_1539.jpg.9fac567ed492d060c01758781920b6a6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1540.jpg.87726b29b8b248f850046fa47b1a477e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1542.jpg.c2c010b7dcc1270f9aaf5f6a715c25f4.jpg

Our hunter friend has been watching some kind of You Tube show called The Heatonist.  I guess the hosts interview different people and while they talk they work their way up the Scoville scale eating wings and hot sauce. I don't know what came first, the show or the hot sauces.  He sent us a gift pack and they decided that chili would be the perfect time to start sampling.  I sat back and watched lol.

thumbnail_IMG_1543.jpg.59fb220f58d1ea1f6523fbcf0b2a548d.jpg

There are two more that are most mild ones somewhere in the garage and I can't find them, but above is in order from least hot to hot.  They got up the Chile Lengua De Fuego--that did them in.  Eyes started running and sweat started pouring lol.  I can't imagine what the last three will be like!

So, I'm cleaning up after lunch and snacking on some venison jerky that he brought.

thumbnail_IMG_1544.jpg.3c1dbc495752f7ba680b7072062c061e.jpg

Dr. Lecter decided to get up at 5 this morning and then he decided not to leave me alone until I did too, so I'm off to sneak a nap.  Mexican food is on the agenda for tonight, but I told them to text if in a couple of hours Mexican doesn't sound so good 🤣.

I think the show is called Hot Ones - my wife used to like to watch it...  whatever you do, don't try the one called The Bomb... not only is it ridiculously hot, but supposedly it is also disgusting.  Some of the really hot ones ahve good flavor as well, but not that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

whatever you do, don't try the one called The Bomb... not only is it ridiculously hot, but supposedly it is also disgusting.

🤣Our friend said the exact same thing!  They took the lid off and smelled--apparently it smells awful.

• Haha 6

The hot sauce tastings remind me of a gift I gave a friend once. I was browsing a favorite kitchen store and spotted a line of salsas made by a company named Religious Experience. The name tickled me. I looked more closely and spotted their very hottest: with a bright pink label and lightning bolts. It's called The Wrath (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). How could I pass that up? I thought of a friend who loved very hot foods, and bought him a jar. When I presented it to him he promptly opened it, dug in with a large spoon, and took the whole spoonful without hesitation. He swallowed. His face turned red. Then he shook his head wildly, flapping his lips and making WUBAWUBA BLBLBL sounds, and finally calmed down. "Wow!" he said, "that's delicious!" And ate some more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hello!

No hunting pictures were taken yesterday--nothing to be seen.  It's just too hot and the deer are feeding overnight.  They are at it again today--another hot day--it's 71 degrees here at 1:00 pm.  

As the evening wore on, I got worse and worse about taking pictures lol.  I sent a text about 3:30 yesterday giving them one more chance to change their minds about Mexican--they still wanted it.

Taco salads it is, then.

Still have garden tomatoes!  This will be the last salsa......'maters are dwindling fast.

thumbnail_IMG_1545.jpg.f85bb8abdea97f852294ea689cea3059.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1548.jpg.77e91963aba21c04af16ecaaaddb4df3.jpg

Rotel cheese dip--made from homemade rotel that I canned over the summer

thumbnail_IMG_1549.jpg.7258a0e5099b9d3417065532b74ce04a.jpg

Ugly picture, but good salad

thumbnail_IMG_1550.jpg.d631419021a91c50feebf684a2a7a11c.jpg

I also did some stuffed poblanos which were camera shy.

I've been really lazy this morning.  Need to get off my butt and bake some bread and maybe make some pizza dough.....or maybe hang out with the barn kittens for a while.... :) 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

I think that food looks wonderful. I can't BELIEVE you still have tomatoes, even if they're dwindling fast! What's in that salsa -- jalapenos, or green bell peppers (we won't tell the others) or botth? And how do you do the tortillas for that salad? i still have tortilla ineptitude.

• Like 1