• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

Mmm! Boiled peanuts! Since no southern peanut lovers chimed in, I'll just give you the boilerplate recipe that works for me. I never ate them until my second trip to the south. That was in early fall, in Atlanta, and the new peanuts were fresh and plentiful in the markets. I never heard of soaking first, but it's no secret I'm a rank amateur. So, you can take my ratios with .....well, a grain of salt, but I find them addictive. On our third trip to the south, also in the fall, we bought some at a roadside stand, sold in a brown bag that was getting soggy by the time we arrived at our airbnb. Our hosts were split on boiled peanuts: she was a South Carolina native who loved them, he was a transplant and hated them. She pronounced the ones we brought as being pretty much like they always are, so that was a good indicator for me.

I assume that the size and freshness of the peanuts has everything to do with how long they need to be cooked. Around here we get fresh raw peanuts in the late summer / early fall at the farmers' market. Many of the vendors who sell them are Asian and I have never asked how they cook them. Honestly, the ones I make with organic peanuts grown in CA are better than the ones I had in South Carolina.

All my trips to the south have been in the fall, except for my first one. That was in the spring. All the trees in Atlanta were in bloom and I didn't stop sneezing for the whole week we were there. It looked lovely but omg the pollen was like a perfect storm.

2 pounds fresh raw peanuts in their shells

5 quarts of water

1/2 cup + a bit more to taste kosher salt 

I don't season, but I'm sure that's delicious. I start by mixing everything together in a big pot and bringing it to a low boil or a high simmer. Believe it or not I too came up with the idea of using a vegetable steamer basket to keep them down while cooking. With nice fresh peanuts it shouldn't take more than an hour and half or maybe two hours to cook them, but since freshness varies, checking for doneness is a good idea. I was told to let them sit in the water for half an hour after removing from the heat. The longer you let them cool in the water the saltier they will be, so I always taste and adjust time. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yes.  Unless I get my lazy butt up and go with him.....or his brother or another buddy might end up going.  We have one more week before the season closes.  Then starting Jan 1st there is a doe only season that lasts 2 weeks.

Don't you have to break out the Christmas trees and decorate?

I actually prefer does before they have their first fawn.

See you in the spring...……….

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

16 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I assume that the size and freshness of the peanuts has everything to do with how long they need to be cooked

Me too.  I read online that there are two different kinds that you can boil--green ones, which are the freshest and raw ones which have been dried for a while?  I mentioned this to our hunter because I thought the ones he brought must have been what would be called "raw".  He said no that these were green *shrug*.  All I know is that two hours in the IP wasn't enough and 3 hours was perfect lol.  He told me again yesterday that they were just as they should be and he was impressed with my first try.  I have a huge bag left.  He says I can vac pac and then freeze them?

I loved reading about your trip :)

3 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Don't you have to break out the Christmas trees and decorate?

I got that done before Thanksgiving :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

I got that done before Thanksgiving :) 

PICTURES!!!!!!

iN THE APPROPRIATE FORUMS OF COURSE.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Haha 3

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

17 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Shelby I froze then vac packed the extra boiled peanuts I had.  They were fine after thawed in hot water later.

I find they are best the first two days. After one night at room temp they seem to need to be refrigerated. In the fridge they last another couple of days at most. I have never made enough at one time to freeze them.

• Thanks 1

Well, today was a success.  I didn't make it outside in time to get a picture of the whole doe (you guys have seen that whole process before anyway), but here she is right now.  She was an old, dry doe, which as I said before is my preference.

thumbnail_IMG_5600.jpg.b105621db073c5ee08187143edab16b1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5601.jpg.6ba478810218e973f2f59264b208914a.jpg

She is pretty big for a doe.

I was going to do my first chicken in the Ninja, but now I have tenderloins.....decisions decisions......

• Like 13

Tenderloins and a prayer up to the powers that be for her sacrifice to nurture us.    

Sorry folks but that was how I was brought up for animals and vegetables in my childhood.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I will echo suzilightning on the value of respect for the hunted animal. I think you have done a remarkable job of showing the use of the hunted. It is not a game, The herds/flocks are watched by wildlife experts and curated, Showing us how you cook the result is helpful. NOT the cryovac pak from the big chain grocery store that heaven forbid should have blood showing...  Thank you!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

I will echo suzilightning on the value of respect for the hunted animal. I think you have done a remarkable job of showing the use of the hunted. It is not a game, The herds/flocks are watched by wildlife experts and curated, Showing us how you cook the result is helpful. NOT the cryovac pak from the big chain grocery store that heaven forbid should have blood showing...  Thank you!

Wow.  I was on my way to bed and stopped to check here .  I now am having to stop the tears....Thank you.   Thank you all for understanding.  We truly eat what we shoot....truly.......

Thank you so much.  Heidi. And Suzi and everyone else that comments and follows. 

I've said it before, but I have to say it again.  We eat all that we kill...and maybe kill isn't the right word now days...but it is what it is.

We have the utmost respect for all wildlife and we don't allow anyone to hunt with us that doesn't feel the same way.  Period.

I and, we respect the cycle of life.    I could go on and on.  But I am tired........thanks to all of you for following ...and talking to me while hunting seasons are happening.  You guys make me happy :)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Wow.  I was on my way to bed and stopped to check here .  I now am having to stop the tears....Thank you.   Thank you all for understanding.  We truly eat what we shoot....truly.......

Thank you so much.  Heidi. And Suzi and everyone else that comments and follows. 

I've said it before, but I have to say it again.  We eat all that we kill...and maybe kill isn't the right word now days...but it is what it is.

We have the utmost respect for all wildlife and we don't allow anyone to hunt with us that doesn't feel the same way.  Period.

I and, we respect the cycle of life.    I could go on and on.  But I am tired........thanks to all of you for following ...and talking to me while hunting seasons are happening.  You guys make me happy :)

we used the word harvest growing up.

if we harvested it we ate it.....and that included the fruits and vegetables we foraged or grew...

just the way we were raised.

• Like 3

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I work with a couple of hunters. One of them bow hunts pretty much exclusively and doesn’t need to buy meat most of the year since he has enough venison in the freezer. One of the other guys is Native American and always uses the word “harvest” for his hunting results. I can only bring myself to fish, but have no issue with people hunting warm blooded animals for food when you respect the process.

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'm with you, Shelby, and with Suzi, Heidi, et. al. I have no patience with trophy hunters. But game and fish comprised a good part of our diet while I was growing up, and I've seen Daddy pass up many a shot at a doe with a late fawn who might have been still nursing. We respected and cared for the animals we raised, and we respected and appreciated the fish, animals and birds we hunted. We also respected the land we farmed, and what it produced; I grew up feeling it was almost a sin to waste food.

Not to get theological on everybody, but there's a school of thought that holds that God created everything and is part of everything, and that by honoring his creation, we are honoring God. Wasting it would be dishonoring God. 

I can go with that.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 9 months later...

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF FALL!!! 🍁

It's been a while since the last post here :) 

Our hunter friend couldn't come out this spring like he normally does, but he will get here Wednesday for fall hunting.  Teal and dove season is going on so they will be out and about doing that along with building duck blinds and whatever else they get up to.

Today is get the house ready day and hopefully get some cooking done --I'm planning on making a batch of venison bierocks so they can take those for lunches.  And, who knows what else.  This is the first year that I can remember having to fit gardening and canning into his visit.  I canned a batch of tomatoes yesterday.  Need to do green beans today.  I probably have enough for 10 pints.  Tomorrow I have to make a stop at the dentist :( early in the morning.  Sigh.  Bad tooth and he won't call in any antibiotics unless he sees me.  After that will be grocery shopping.  Hopefully I come home with some fun stuff.

So much to do that I just feel like sitting here and doing nothing lol.

I did get the fall chalkboard done

thumbnail_IMG_6813.jpg.4cabc36672a9785a921be49b30ce8fc2.jpg

And I just ate an egg sandwich which will keep me going for a while :)

thumbnail_IMG_6814.jpg.cfdacdb48c9c09f9a2ba0d6215d68f7b.jpg

• Like 20

Yeah...doves and ducks!!!

I still remember the first ducks I cooked.  I was 7 years old and mom had had an operation.  Uncle Otis gave us a brace of black ducks he had shot so I hung them (out on the clothes line - there are pictures somewhere) for a few days, de feathered them and singed them then , with Aunt Belle coaching me over the phone, parboiled then larded and baked them.  Came out almost as good as Aunt Belle's - she even said so herself.

• Like 10

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Beautiful! I always love your mini blogs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

me too.  I hope to see some good hunting and game etc. on this blog 

I always wanted to go hunting but always lived in city areas where it's not done as much. 

Wishing I knew people in the NJ / NYC area that does it or classes I could take etc. to learn. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

I love your blogs also! Looking forward to reading about your various adventures. And I really hope that tooth doesn't bother you too much, and that the antibiotics clear up any problems fast! 

I shouldn't share this, but I'm terrified of doctors and dentists (no offense @Kerry Beal or any others in medicine).. It's me, not you.  I brush my teeth like a madwoman in order to have no problems, but..sigh.

Anyway, any good thoughts would be great and I cannot WAIT to get back home tomorrow and resume my plans-----I have so much to do :) .

• Like 3

You ever try confiting any wild duck? I did that with some wood ducks, and since the leg quarters were so small, I just did entire halves, breast and all. Made some of the best cassoulet I ever had in my life! Confit via sous vide is a fine thing. Going to fire up some of my duck hunting buddies this winter to restock.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

... This is the first year that I can remember having to fit gardening and canning into his visit....

thumbnail_IMG_6813.jpg.4cabc36672a9785a921be49b30ce8fc2.jpg

And I just ate an egg sandwich which will keep me going for a while :)

thumbnail_IMG_6814.jpg.cfdacdb48c9c09f9a2ba0d6215d68f7b.jpg

I whittled your first-of-this-season post down to the points I wanted to comment on for the sake of space, but I too want you to know that I'm looking forward to this, as I do for all your huntin' and cannin' and gardenin' blogs!

First, a question: is this the first time that hunting and canning have overlapped because the garden has gone on later than usual? If that isn't the reason, what is?

Second, a comment: I enjoy and am impressed by your chalk drawings. You may think they're simple, but to this graphically-challenged soul your artwork is gorgeous and almost magical.

Third, another question: do I spy a melty cheese on that egg sandwich? If so, what cheese, liquid and proportions did you use? I'm about to try my hand at using the melty cheese calculator and am looking for ideas/encouragement.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown