• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

All excellent ideas.

I've made, and really like, pavlova.  I'm just not sure I have anything around here to top it with.  I have no fresh fruit of any kind.  I have my canned peaches.....

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Meringue?

Coconut macaroons!

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Coconut macaroons!

You do know that egg whites freeze very well? Just make sure you mark on the container how many are there.

When you come to use them you can thaw them out and then weigh out as many as you need. I believe a white from a large egg hovers somewhere around 40 g. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

All excellent ideas.

I've made, and really like, pavlova.  I'm just not sure I have anything around here to top it with.  I have no fresh fruit of any kind.  I have my canned peaches.....

My first thought was meringues as well and crushed peppermints this time of year is a fine addition. Sometimes I go crazy and do chocolate chips + crushed candycanes ;)

• Like 2

Zimtsternen, since it's that time of the year.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Cinnamon stars? Description?

They look like an interesting option as another naturally gluten-free cookie. 

Click   I think @kayb  is always on the lookout for such things.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Basically nuts held together by sugary meringue, and usually (but not invariably) topped with royal icing or a similar glaze.

My daughter has a (diagnosed) gluten allergy, so  I make them every year. There's actually an entire class of German Christmas cookies made with nuts and egg whites, and varying in the details.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

You do know that egg whites freeze very well? Just make sure you mark on the container how many are there.

When you come to use them you can thaw them out and then weigh out as many as you need. I believe a white from a large egg hovers somewhere around 40 g. 

15 hours ago, SLB said:

Freezing was what I was going to suggest, as well. 

This is very helpful and will probably be the way I go....except...this idea down below looks dang interesting......

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

Zimtsternen, since it's that time of the year.

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

They look like an interesting option as another naturally gluten-free cookie. 

Click   I think @kayb  is always on the lookout for such things.  

Maybe I'll get a burst of energy today and do this.

• Like 1

It's Saturday already!

Got a text that a doe was shot at and missed.  'Twas her lucky day.  It's pouring rain.  We are right on the edge of snow, dang it.  COME ON SNOW.

I made the same breakfast for this morning as yesterday, so I didn't take a picture.  

The guys were home a bit earlier than normal.  It was foggy and drizzling and nothing was moving around.  I had grand plans to make more food than I did, but it didn't happen.  Today is another day lol.

Pimento cheese and deviled eggs for appetizers

thumbnail_IMG_5567.jpg.0450c7245463acf0ebb81dcd5654ce8b.jpg

And ducks!

I was going to do some of them in the CSO and then do one or two in the Ninja, but I chickened out and ended up doing them all in the CSO.  I was scared.  I admit it.  I need to thaw out a chicken, I think, and that will be my first test.

thumbnail_IMG_5566.jpg.145d7c5e8e5ebb53d3de8f9260259067.jpg

All pintails except for one mallard

thumbnail_IMG_5568.jpg.1bd387c06daa66ffdcfeabb45f98a055.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5569.jpg.d30d2a09ae7d4cedfda5213fb2ebaae1.jpg

Scalloped potatoes and stewed tomatoes to go with

thumbnail_IMG_5570.jpg.352fd561384414daf26e3bfe165d4fad.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5571.jpg.00f080a11b4514802d4876a9484321a4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5572.jpg.1f1168abb328d1bb4ca0a6dfce0ad1ee.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5574.jpg.44cf5eee41328b94bdf68d8fb227a61d.jpg

Now I have to get busy.  I forgot I need to boil those peanuts!  Initially I was going to do them in the slow cooker, but I need to find an Instant Pot recipe so I can have them done before the guys get home.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Gloriosky, that all looks delicious!

I can attest that the egg whites freeze well. I've had a jar with 11 of them in the freezer. Earlier this week I thawed and used roughly half for the batter for chiles rellenos, then put the rest back into the freezer. The thawed whites whipped beautifully.

Still...if you were to make zimtsternen (new to me also!) I  doubt anyone would complain. :wink:

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Smithy said:

Gloriosky, that all looks delicious!

I can attest that the egg whites freeze well. I've had a jar with 11 of them in the freezer. Earlier this week I thawed and used roughly half for the batter for chiles rellenos, then put the rest back into the freezer. The thawed whites whipped beautifully.

Still...if you were to make zimtsternen (new to me also!) I  doubt anyone would complain. :wink:

I've been dying to make rellenos.

My Hatch chiles are floating around in the universe somewhere.  I got a notification that they were delivered to my front door last night around 5.  Trust me, they weren't.  I even went out and kicked around in case they accidentally shipped me ghost peppers and they were invisible.........

Even if they are found, they've been on the road since the 26th of Nov.  Don't think they would be good anymore.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Basically nuts held together by sugary meringue, and usually (but not invariably) topped with royal icing or a similar glaze.

My daughter has a (diagnosed) gluten allergy, so  I make them every year. There's actually an entire class of German Christmas cookies made with nuts and egg whites, and varying in the details.

Hhmmm now that I think about it we did do a meringue cookie with coursely ground walnuts. A plan is forming....  I think we didn't do meringue often because few of our recipes used just yolks and eggs were seen as precious. (Ya know the fun of cleaning the hen house, getting them in at night, avoiding the ridiculous ginormous rooster). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

well sad

contact Hatch ?

I did.  Actually, I knew there had to be a problem yesterday morning, so I contacted them then.  I got a response that said they still showed it on the truck and that it would be here yesterday...(I knew that anyway from the FedEx tracking).

I contacted them again this morning so we'll see what they say.  

They are very nice people, so I'm sure they will replace it...I hope....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Hhmmm now that I think about it we did do a meringue cookie with coursely ground walnuts. A plan is forming....  I think we didn't do meringue often because few of our recipes used just yolks and eggs were seen as precious. (Ya know the fun of cleaning the hen house, getting them in at night, avoiding the ridiculous ginormous rooster). 

Meringue cookies were one of our standby cookies at Christmas, and when I used to do Christmas baking in Duluth I'd include them. Ours always included chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Mind, these were the drop-type meringue cookies, not the flat-and-decorated type that zimtsterrnen seems to be..

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I did.  Actually, I knew there had to be a problem yesterday morning, so I contacted them then.  I got a response that said they still showed it on the truck and that it would be here yesterday...(I knew that anyway from the FedEx tracking).

I contacted them again this morning so we'll see what they say.  

They are very nice people, so I'm sure they will replace it...I hope....

I hope so too. When the peppers do arrive, take a picture or two and send it along as proof. I loved your comment about ghost peppers, btw. I wanted to laugh at that one, but the rest of the post was too dire.

• Haha 3

Oh ours were the drop ones. I like the different textures they provide from crispy edge to sometimes fluffy "Pavlova type" innards.  I do mini chocolate chips and crushed candycanes when I venture into meringue. Spoiled by the ease of the inexpensive big tub from Trader Joes but home made are better. 

• Like 2

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

I have no idea how this kind person got my phone number, but he did.  My house phone rang--I never answer it if I don't know the number.  Bless his heart, he called right back so I thought I'd better answer. 

FedEx delivered my chiles last night around 5 to a very different address than mine.  I have no earthly idea how anyone could think this was where they were supposed to deliver.  It wasn't even a house!  

Anyway, the box got rained on all night and was very soggy.  I was scared to open it.

Knock me over with a feather, there was still a tiny piece of dry ice in there

thumbnail_IMG_5576.jpg.095b864ba5830242c7233b4753cc4cb2.jpg

And the peppers are frozen solid!!!

thumbnail_IMG_5577.jpg.b7754af91c6f80f96417ddedb83e3a3f.jpg

***happy dance***

• Like 12
  • Haha 4