• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

No!  But I will download it to my kindle asap.  Sounds like a book I would like--even if it's a kids book.

It may be written like poetry, but it's definitely not light reading. I wouldn't want to turn a kid loose with it without some solid historical background.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Used Shelby's egg roll recipe with a few minor changes.  All done now.  Need to work on my wrapping so the ends are tighter.  Just tested a few and they are delicious.  Next up to find a good sauce rather than bottled.

Here are few pictures.  10 minutes  in the air fryer with a bit of shaking...temperature was 375F .  They were sprayed lightly and this results in a nice crispy exterior and not greasy in the least.

THANKS SHELBY!!!

DSC02847.thumb.jpg.302ae0abf7713b3b5368e16ef95616ae.jpgDSC02849.thumb.jpg.915b7d7193db5b61833e60c9d7da9a83.jpgDSC02848.thumb.jpg.a6440d359c3f00945e85fac703c1904d.jpgDSC02850.thumb.jpg.282881bbb59d4fa59a9486eadbf598c8.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

25 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Need to work on my wrapping so the ends are tighter

No you don't!  They look perfect to me!!!

I'm so glad you like them :) .  I just love the crunchy lightness of the wrapper.

• Like 1

On the egg roll wrapping: maybe cuz I live in burrito-land - tight wrapping skills are learned through watching abuelas and practice. Your whole hand works and it is a back and forth (in my experience) - a dance  between the longitudinal wrap and the end tucking with a slight pull all the time. Not the greatest explanation but maybe gives you a visual to try :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MelissaH said:

It may be written like poetry, but it's definitely not light reading. I wouldn't want to turn a kid loose with it without some solid historical background.

I wouldn't describe it as a kid's book, although it's told from a kid's point of view. Like To Kill a Mockingbird (also told from a child's point of view) it deals with some heavy issues and adult themes. I'll have to reread it, though: I don't remember the windmill!

@Okanagancook, thanks for the documentation and the air fryer comment. Now I'm sorry I don't have my air fryer with me! It's good to know those don't have to be oil-fried. @heidih, I think that business about the motion makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the visual. It reminds me of the verbal-visuals I've read about women kneading pasta dough.

Edited by Smithy
Changed "mixing" to "kneading" for accuracy (log)
  • Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy I think the air fryer would be really useful in a situation like you have.  It really makes NO MESS.  For example, the other day we were making Bratwurst and had leftover meat so I made patties and cooked them in the air fryer.  They would have made an oily mess on the stove but in the air fryer they got nice and brown and the oil splatter was confined to the inside of the fryer.  I've done usually messy hamburger patties in there too.

Don't want to derail @Shelby's blog so I will sign off. cheers.

• Like 4

Well, the best laid plans and all that .....I didn't get everything done today that I had planned on.  Ronnie left this morning--without me knowing --that he had a tire that had a slow leak.  We JUST bought brand new tires a couple months ago.  

Anyway.

He got home from hunting and told me about the tire.  BTW--he got a nice haul, but he gave everything to the two guys that he took hunting with him.  

IMG_0199.JPG.2f4f653ddb47857a92fb3fa9c522012b.JPG

Mallards and a goose.

Sooooo....

I don't have a lot of talents, but I am the tire leak whisperer.  I can always find the leak and mark it.  It's a gift lol.

Long story short, I found the leak, but the cause of it was deep piece of metal that we couldn't extract and fix so--- THANK goodness we could get the truck into the tire fixer at the nearest town and it's all good now. But that took a lot of my afternoon up.  

I'll finish cleaning early in the morning.....maybe lol.

So on to dinner tonight

I was craving something that wasn't all meat....I'm sure some can understand....so pizza it was:

Pepperoni

IMG_5514.jpg.30a3bbae76a042695947f40b0999aa68.jpg

IMG_5516.JPG.037c21dcb8932667d383ada12e76b354.JPG

And...the yearly Christmas chalkboard.  

It's not near as good as last year, but I always show the good and the bad here.  I had like 30 minutes to get it done and it will do for now.....

IMG_5522.JPG.a247f8e8872d83752c84c049fee6cb61.JPG

• Like 17

Chalkboard works for me!

I can relate to "tire whisperer". I am the pinhole leak indoor copper piping whisperer. "You hear what?" - but they have learned to trust me. Beats ripping up whole walls  when "the gifted one" can hone in ')

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@Shelby, I wish I had your artistic gift! Your "only a half hour to spare" chalkboard is something that would take me hours and hours...and still wouldn't look as good!

The pizza looks excellent as well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

I wouldn't describe it as a kid's book, although it's told from a kid's point of view. Like To Kill a Mockingbird (also told from a child's point of view) it deals with some heavy issues and adult themes. I'll have to reread it, though: I don't remember the windmill!

Well, it won the 1998 Newbery medal, which is by definition given to a children's book. But hoo boy, it isn't light reading.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Good afternoon and happy Wednesday!

Our hunter got here a couple hours ago.  Remember last time when I made chili and they had already stopped and eaten in town?  It went much more smoothly this time lol.

Back behind there is a bowl of my pickled okra and jalapeños.

IMG_5537.JPG.82801a4d24b5b35d8393a01478bda357.JPG

IMG_5539.jpg.4175eb417de0bc07c8fa6578b4c90b1b.jpg

Served with frosty mugs of beer.

They are now getting loaded up to go out for a deer hunt.  Chum is excited that she gets to go along.

Meanwhile, I'll be here doing dishes and prepping for dinner.....dunno what I'm making yet though.  

Be back in a  bit :) 

• Like 10

At last!! It feels like the wait has been interminable!

Do they hunt deer from the same shack that you showed us yesterday, or is that strictly for the waterfowl? I assume they stand-hunt, especially since Chum is going along. 

I want some of that chili. I just finished the last of a much-too-large batch of pinto beans, with chopped onion and grated cheese. It was pretty heavy for brunch, and it was nowhere near as pretty as your chili.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Well, it won the 1998 Newbery medal, which is by definition given to a children's book. But hoo boy, it isn't light reading.

The windmill clearly wasn't the only thing I'd forgotten. I'd forgotten the award, too. Thanks for straightening me out!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Do they hunt deer from the same shack that you showed us yesterday

Yes, they strictly deer hunt out of there.  That's where Chum has her own chair she can sit in and look out the window :) .

So, my hunter brought me a gift!  

He asked me if I'd ever had boiled peanuts before, and I have a couple of times.  I love them, but I've never made them.

I have a whole bag of these:

IMG_5540.jpg.3d6c8ce1e76729c5e8ff431cdc8de4a9.jpg

A quick google tells me these are probably dried peanuts and are very suitable for boiling.

Anyone have a recipe/method?  I saw some for the slow cooker......

• Like 6

I've seen boiled peanuts for sale in convenience stores in the south, always in slow cookers. However, I've no idea how they were prepared. Sorry!

• Like 1

I have only ever purchased peanuts in the shell to feed the chipmunks at the cottage years and years ago!   I am not much help. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As always, Serious Eats generally hits the mark. I like this piece on Goober Peas. My Farmers Market fave vendor sells fresh peanuts in shell and I've done them this way. I gotta say it is just a different animal than roasted and I am a lover of "well done" with crunchy roasty flavor. Boiled really brings out the legume aspect . My peanut roaster guy always has a bag of the well done for me  unless I arrive too early. It is just a different animal when boiled.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/history-southern-boiled-peanuts.html

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

OMG I haven't sat down once this afternoon.  I truly wanted a nap but then remembered that UPS was coming with some important stuff that I had to sign for...so no nap for moi.

You'd think I'd be ahead of the game....but I don't feel like I am.  For DAYS I've been meaning to make @ninagluck's eggnog.  I still haven't done it.  I'll shoot for tomorrow morning.  I had wanted to share some with our hunter, but I'm afraid it might be too strong.....

Anyway, this afternoon I made my usual bread in the CSO.  You guys have seen this a million times:

Before the bake

IMG_5541.JPG.84b48d8b4cff68487a302c959e82c3fe.JPG

AfterIMG_5542.JPG.f36ed2e5ac96aaf6d9775e47c076b43f.JPG

Then I dove into making some fresh pasta that is now hanging

IMG_5543.jpg.3644d78564855a766a8651e367bab47d.jpg

IMG_5544.JPG.1cc3d9356615096f9d9eb6316efe3b85.JPG

Forgot to get a picture of the dough.  It was a bit dry--hence the shorter pieces, but it will do for tonight.

And, finally, for an appetizer tonight,  I have been craving this since I made it last year.  Muffuletta Cheesecake so I had to make it again

IMG_5545.jpg.cfbba534aaf3a9b16244e213dce66604.jpg

Still have tomorrow breakfast to make, garlic bread to heat up, spaghetti sauce from the freezer to heat, venison meatballs to put in and a salad to throw together.  

Wish me luck O.o

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 15

In my experience fresh pasta makes a difference in more delicate preps where the pasta is the star but otherwise just don't mush up the dry stiff.   Bread looks llike I would want to wolf it down.  You have always made your hunter happy - don't stress :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Wish me luck O.o

I am exhausted just reading about it. You put me to shame.   Time to stop beating yourself up I think!   I am with heidih!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

OMG I haven't sat down once this afternoon.  I truly wanted a nap but then remembered that UPS was coming with some important stuff that I had to sign for...so no nap for moi.

You'd think I'd be ahead of the game....but I don't feel like I am.  For DAYS I've been meaning to make @ninagluck's eggnog.  I still haven't done it.  I'll shoot for tomorrow morning.  I had wanted to share some with our hunter, but I'm afraid it might be too strong....ll have tomorrow breakfast to make, garlic bread to heat up, spaghetti sauce from the freezer to heat, venison meatballs to put in and a salad to throw together.  

Wish me luck O.o

woman you don't need luck.....

vitamins, maybe......

love to all of you including Chum, of course.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I echo the others: this is supposed to be fun! and of course your hunters will feel as though you've rolled out the red blaze orange camo carpet for them.

I like that Muffaletta Cheesecake very much! Judging by the paucity of leftovers when I made it, I'd say my dinner guests have felt the same!

• Like 2