• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

• 2 months later...

Can you believe that deer season starts tomorrow?????  I feel like I was just writing to you guys about ducks!

Our hunter gets here tomorrow morning which is also the opening day of deer season.  It's been super hot here, but thankfully starting today it will feel like winter.  It's NO fun hunting for deer when it's 60 or 70 degrees outside...plus you don't really want to hang a deer in your garage at that temperature.  But, we don't have to worry about that now.  Weather even calls for snow on Saturday.  Come on snow!!!!

I've been really busy....too busy....and today will be no different.  Major housecleaning to happen plus finishing up the Christmas decorations.  

Over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of prep work.  I'm not going to jinx myself again and say that they won't be home for lunches, but I don't think they'll be home for lunches lol.  There is a cabin they can stop at (it's waaaay closer than driving clear back here) and heat stuff up.   So, I've made a huge vat of venison chili, a nice batch of pork verde and I rolled up about 20 bean, cheese and onion burritos that they can take with them.

I'm sitting here realizing that some of the meals I'm making are repeats of last time.....I guess it's just easier for me when I know our hunter really likes certain meals.  So, you will be seeing some of the same things...but I hope you won't be too bored.  They will be taking the cameras like last time and I hope to get some step-by-step photos of the deer process.  With luck we'll be cutting up deer sometime during this.  AND maybe some pressure canning.... @ChocoMom has been telling me how she does it.  I bought one of those American brand canners over the summer and am anxious to try it out.

Ok, so I'm off to clean the kitchen.....and I am going to try to stay out of the homemade eggnog....I made it with our hunter in mind, but now I don't know if I want to share lol.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 13

Yay, oh yay. Bored?  Ha ha. But I must stress again that house cleaning is highly overrated. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Alright.  Pork roast is in the IP (slow cook function)  swimming my home canned tomatoes (hoarded from not this summer, but last), onions, garlic and hatch chiles.  I'll cook this all day, take it out and cool in the fridge and make enchiladas sometime this week.

PB291324.JPG

I've also just turned my oven on to the clean function.  Cross your fingers that it doesn't blow up the house.

• Like 6

Shelby, how you make me wish I'd found room for an Instant Pot in our trailer!  That pork looks wonderful with its accompaniments.

The rifle deer season is already over in Minnesota, but hunting by other means (bow, for sure, maybe black powder?) went at least through Thanksgiving.  I think it's interesting that your season is so much later than ours.  Are your hunters using rifles?

There's been commentary in other topics about the backstrap. I do hope you and your hunters find time to do something wonderful with it in this blog, so readers can see what they're missing.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ohhhh.....are we going to see lightly grilled backstrap?   Do you have some lingonberry jam to go with it?

That eggnog recipe is interesting.  I used to make one that started with the egg yolks, sugar and  alcohols that "cooked" in the fridge for about a month then finished with the beaten egg whites and cream.   Unfortunately since Johnnybird became lactose intolerant (and alcohol exacerbates his IBS) haven't made it in years.

How about some meatballs?   Or lasagna?  Meatloaf?  Stew?   I adore venison and so glad it got cold enough to field dress.....

When is your pheasant season?

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Shelby, how you make me wish I'd found room for an Instant Pot!  That pork looks wonderful with its accompaniments.

The rifle deer season is already over in Minnesota, but hunting by other means (bow, for sure, maybe black powder?) went at least through Thanksgiving.  I think it's interesting that your season is so much later than ours.  Are your hunters using rifles?

There's been commentary in other topics about the backstrap. I do hope you and your hunters find time to do something wonderful with it in this blog, so readers can see what they're missing.

Thank you!!  I truly think you would enjoy having the IP with you.....even if you have to hold it in your lap lol.

I think our season is so much later due to us being much further south than you are.  It gets colder for you sooner...the deer go into rut sooner etc.  Bow season here starts in October I think???  I'm not a fan of it....I've seen too many deer limping around with arrows stuck in them.  The first deer I shot had an arrow embedded in his hind quarter :( .

Yes, my guys are rifle hunters.  The  boy deer have just started chasing the ladies around here at the house.  We have two small, young bucks who think they are all that and a bag of chips.   They half-heartedly butt each other with their antlers in hopes of impressing the girls.....I don't think it's working lol.

Saturday night is always "game night".  Hopefully there will be some nice tenderloin and backstrap to cook up.  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Ohhhh.....are we going to see lightly grilled backstrap?   Do you have some lingonberry jam to go with it?

That eggnog recipe is interesting.  I used to make one that started with the egg yolks, sugar and  alcohols that "cooked" in the fridge for about a month then finished with the beaten egg whites and cream.   Unfortunately since Johnnybird became lactose intolerant (and alcohol exacerbates his IBS) haven't made it in years.

How about some meatballs?   Or lasagna?  Meatloaf?  Stew?   I adore venison and so glad it got cold enough to field dress.....

When is your pheasant season?

I hope to make some super rare backstrap for sure :)  It might be done on the stove, though.....or maybe even sous vide...that is so easy and good.  I don't have any lingonberry jam....I do have jalapeño cranberry, though?

The eggnog was so fun to make.  It only makes a quart so maybe you could just have your own personal nog :biggrin:.

I'm starving right now so all of your suggestions sound wonderful.  Pheasant season started the second week in November and is still open until the end of January, so I'm sure there will be some of those thrown in the mix, too.

• Like 2

Phew.  I'm tired.  It's going to be a super early early morning, so I'm off to bed.    Our guests plane lands around ten in the morning...but I have a lot to do before.  I'll see ya'll in the morning :) 

I thawed out a couple of venison bierocks and made some fries for a quick meal tonight. 

photo.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Phew.  I'm tired.  It's going to be a super early early morning, so I'm off to bed.    Our guests plane lands around ten in the morning...but I have a lot to do before.  I'll see ya'll in the morning :) 

I thawed out a couple of venison bierocks and made some fries for a quick meal tonight. 

photo.JPG

What are bierocks?  Sleep tight!

• Like 1

Bierocks are a homemade bread dough filled with cabbage and ground beef..or venison in my case.  I also put some shredded cheese in.  My secret tip is to put a bit of sauerkraut in with the cabbage.  Gives it a kick.

Good morning, everyone!

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Good morning to you, Shelby!  I'm looking forward to following along.  Will the hunters be going out today, as soon as your guest arrives?  

Thank you!

I once again jinxed myself lol.  Ronnie wants to bring him back here and have lunch.  Sooooooooooo I'm thawing out homemade turkey stock and some chicken stock and I'm going to make a big ole pot of chicken and noodles....  Gotta take a shower really quick then I'll be back :)  

• Like 2

I thought that my love of the Instant Pot couldn't grow any larger....but it has.  I had about an hour and a half to make the chicken and noodles this morning.  Ronnie was back a lot sooner than I thought he would be.  Anyway, I threw the onions, celery and carrots into the IP and sautéed it all in some butter.  Then, I dumped a couple cups of broth in and pressure cooked it on high for 15 mins.  Perfect.  I would have just done the whole soup in there, but it wouldn't fit.  

IP veggies

PB301326.JPG

Dunno why I took a picture of this...I was just so happy that it was done so quickly.

I didn't have time to thaw a chicken etc. so this is my go-to cheat.  I know, I know.  It's canned chicken.  But it's good.  I keep some on hand just for times like this.  

PB301325.JPG

Cheesy toast to go with

PB301328.JPG

PB301327.JPG

PB301331.JPG

The guys are loading up....camera and guns in hand.....

I'm going to clean the kitchen...for the second time today O.o and hopefully sneak in a nap.  I love me a good nap lol.

• Like 14

I am betting that canned chicken is really good in soup. I haven't seen that product for years but then I haven't looked for it. But now you've put a bee in my bonnet....

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The hunters have returned with a big dry doe (dry meaning she wasn't pregnant which means she's an older doe....my choice.  Tender, and doesn't have any babies that are missing mama---yes, I'm super tender hearted)

They are taking pictures as we speak.

• Like 8