• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

@Shelby

Do you know if all those birds are Mourning Dove, or a mix of other dove species?

We have Mourning, White-wing (migrate to and from Mexico), Inca, Eurasian Collared, Rock (pigeon).   We have  a rather famous dove hunting season here.  The Inca are too small to be game.   Mourning and White-wing are the most popular game birds.  The Eurasion Collared is considered an invasive species and there is a no-bag limit on those, meaning take all you can get.  They are big for dove also.  I don't know about the quality of the meat though, never had the opportunity to try it.

I'm glad the Inca are too small to hunt, they are so beautiful to me.  I feed the neighborhood dove in my yard.  They absolutely love cooked rice for whatever reason.  

lemniscate

lemniscate

@Shelby

Do you know if all those birds are Mourning Dove, or a mix of other dove species?

We have Mourning, White-wing (migrate to and from Mexico), Inca, Eurasian Collared, Rock (pigeon).   We have  a rather famous dove hunting season here.  The Inca are too small to be game.   Mourning and White-wing are the most popular game birds.  The Eurasion Collared is considered an invasive species and there is a no-bag limit on those, meaning take all you can get.  They are big for dove also.  I don't know about the quality of the meat though, never had the opportunity to try it.

I'm glad the Inca are too small to hunt, they are so beautiful to me.  I feed the neighborhood dove in my yard.  They absolutely love cooked rice for whatever reason.