• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Well, he hunts all the time and is very good at it, but it's just because he loves doing it so much.  So, yes he's full-time, but doesn't get paid lol.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

A lot of guys just show up the morning of the hunt without helping to do any of the prep.  The ones that help prep get special treatment ;) 

I know hunters get a bad reputation in some circles and it can be for good reason - like the ones more into going off for the weekend and doing more drinking than hunting.  My friend's dad was more of a full-time hunter like your husband.  He was out in the woods, watching the deer and other wildlife in every season.  He knew the paths the bucks followed, which does had fawns each year and would hike or snowshoe deep into the woods to leave feed for them after big blizzards or ice storms.  He hunted bow season, musket season and regular every year and provided pretty much all the meat for his family of 5 kids.  I have great respect for hunters like that!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Well, he hunts all the time and is very good at it, but it's just because he loves doing it so much.  So, yes he's full-time, but doesn't get paid lol.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

A lot of guys just show up the morning of the hunt without helping to do any of the prep.  The ones that help prep get special treatment ;) 

I know hunters get a bad reputation in some circles and it can be for good reason - like the ones more into going off for the weekend and doing more drinking than hunting.  My friend's dad was more of a full-time hunter like your husband.  He was out in the woods, watching the deer and other wildlife in every season.  He knew the paths the bucks followed, which does had fawns each year and would hike deep into the woods to leave feed for them after big blizzards or ice storms.  He hunted bow season, musket season and regular every year and provided pretty much all the meat for his family of 5 kids.  I have great respect for hunters like that!