• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

I love seeing anyone's shopping.  And those steaks Ha. One of them would cost at least twice as much as two of them cost you at my grocery store. 

I am always caught between winging it and seriously planning.  Sometimes it's fun to wing it; sometimes I damn well wish I had planned it.  It will all come out in the wash as my grandma used to say.:)   Just have fun because that's all that really counts. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, lindag said:

Wow, someone snuck a big bag of candy bars into your cart!

It wasn't me :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I love seeing anyone's shopping.  And those steaks Ha. One of them would cost at least twice as much as two of them cost you at my grocery store. 

I am always caught between winging it and seriously planning.  Sometimes it's fun to wing it; sometimes I damn well wish I had planned it.  It will all come out in the wash as my grandma used to say.:)   Just have fun because that's all that really counts. 

I hope we swing to the fun side because I can picture myself in a panic every night at 7 when things aren't coming together lol.

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

nice

but what is this :

packet.jpg.8653b5adbb10368b625d440b29eb3033.jpg

looks like somethings I might like 

Pastrami on rye w LTMayo

in a packet ?

It's the cheapest lunchmeat ever.  69 cents a package.  It might not even really be beef xD but it makes good pickle roll-ups.  

2 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

My cats love it   :)

Mine do too :$

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, rotuts said:

they have this stuff 1.2 miles from my house !

and no

MC istnt getting any

He might after you taste it :P

I am not recommending it...I like it....it's good for what it is and how cheap it is......but don't expect to be wowed lol.

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

OH and, thank you for giving me ammunition to fight back with regarding the steak price.  

Ronnie about fell over when he saw how much they were.  

I'll tell him he's lucky I didn't go shopping in Canada.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

@chileheadmike

I was just just thinking that Way Back

there was Shaved Beef in a similar packed

might have been refrigerated , this was way long ago

I used to use it for Chipped Beef

in a hime made white sauce

on toast.

loved it !

Ill have to take a Peek !

BTW

those steaks originally cost 39.75

but Shelby

vigilant shopper got them for 24.45

probably enough for two servings ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@chileheadmike

I was just just thinking that Way Back

there was Shaved Beef in a similar packed

might have been refrigerated , this was way long ago

I used to use it for Chipped Beef

in a hime made white sauce

on toast.

loved it !

Ill have to take a Peek !

BTW

those steaks originally cost 39.75

but Shelby

vigilant shopper got them for 24.45

probably enough for two servings ?

I haven't had chipped beef forever.  I love that stuff.  Somehow, though, it needs me to purchase Wonder Bread to have it.

I pointed out that they were on sale, but he didn't seem very impressed lol.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I pointed out that they were on sale, but he didn't seem very impressed lol.

I imagine to a hunter that kind of money spent on a piece of meat is hard to swallow.  Sorry about the terrible pun. 

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

It's been a while, but I've used the Buddig beef for SOS. Not bad. 

Yes. This. My mom made it almost every Sunday. We'd have it over toasted Wonder Bread.

She would also sauté the pastrami in oleo ¬¬ and we'd use it to make pastrami sandwiches with mustard and pickles.

Yes, it's probably not that good for you to eat, but it was quite cheap and my mom could feed all of us kids for very little money.

• Like 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

...Hard as a rock avocados --hope they soften up so I can use them....

How to Ripen an Avocado (scroll down to just under the "5 Stages")

Epicurious says the apple/banana trick in the bag with the avocados didn't work for them.

Let us know if you try the bag trick...

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

12 minutes ago, Toliver said:

How to Ripen an Avocado (scroll down to just under the "5 Stages")

Epicurious says the apple/banana trick in the bag with the avocados didn't work for them.

Let us know if you try the bag trick...

Thank you!

It's hard around here....they can go from hard to rotten in the blink of an eye lol.  

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Don't judge me on the Ramen Noodles--6 packs for $1.

I will never judge you.  Especially if something is on sale.  Or cheap.  Or interesting.  Or whatever.  I often come home from the grocery store and can't believe what the "expletive" is in my bag.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

Happy Hunting Season to everyone!  It's me again :) .

I've been busy the last few weeks doing my usual prepping which is inspired by a visit from our hunter.  It's a good excuse for fall cleaning and sprucing the house up a bit.   Although.... @Anna N  does warn me that cleaning is very overrated ;).

Our hunter arrives tomorrow morning and, as usual, I'll be sending a camera along with them.  Right now, dove season is open, although, there have not been very many around.  I speculated that they haven't come down yet due to all of the hurricane activity, but I have no idea.   I suspect there will be some fishing happening....I'm hungry for fish.  There is a duck season open up north, but I don't know if they will venture that far away or not.

It's been super hot until yesterday when we thankfully got a ton of rain.  This morning it's a nice, cool 57F and it definitely feels like fall.   Some of the leaves are just starting to turn.  I will miss the garden veggies  (don't worry @HungryChris, the zucchini are still going strong lol) , but I'm ready for cold weather....this year more than I remember being in the past.  I very much feel like hibernating in a big comfy sweatshirt while looking out of the window at 7' tall drifts of snow, but, I digress.

We grew pumpkins again.  Very low maintenance...I tossed the pumpkins from last year into the field and then, when they dried out, I stomped on them the scatter the seeds.  I also threw zucchini out there and I think they cross-pollinated because I have either some very orange, hard zucchini or some very tall, skinny pumpkins xD.  Ronnie picked some for me to decorate the porch with so I washed them all and left them in the hot Kansas sun to dry.

You can see the weird looking zumpkins...or pumpzinis.....

IMG_3777.JPG.e87bbdba3d496a8b561cab2237009652.JPG

Anyway, I hope you guys will keep me company this week.  I don't have set meal plans yet--which is not like me--so we will see what I will feel inspired to make lol.  I have to make a trip to the grocery store in a bit so I'll be back later --if it's not too boring I'll take pictures.

Can't wait. Love hunting season on egullet!

• Like 5

I use the Buddig beef for chipped beef too. It's cheaper and (believe it or not) not as salty as the shelf stable kind in a glass jar. Just cut way down on the salt in your white sauce, and I don't even think it's that horrible for you. I think @Kim Shooksaid that's what she uses too sometimes.

I'm excited you're sharing part of your life during hunting season with us again @Shelby. I'll be avidly tagging along. :)

I have had dill pickle roll-ups at a party and they were really good, but these were wrapped in Danish ham. It will be interesting to see how you make yours if you decide to do them during your blog.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I've made the steaks--I think I'm forgiven for the price ;)  They were really good.  We didn't even make a dent in them (we would have split one but I like my steak very very rare and Ronnie likes his rare).  So, I will vac. pack the leftovers in the morning and we will have them after our hunter leaves.

Here's Ronnie's plate

IMG_3798.JPG.e6774d92571be4571e2fde293f8cbe02.JPG

I spent an hour drawing on my kitchen chalkboard.  It's not great but it's festive....

IMG_3795.JPG.7ce44366848a8d0be9650caff8360b09.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG.11a7c08ecd828801cdc1525e7175a76a.JPG

And, with that, I will see ya'll tomorrow :)

• Like 16

Yay!  Someone else who likes candy corn.  You or Ronnie?  Try this: handful of candy corn and salted peanuts – mixed.  Tastes oddly of caramel apple.  Mike and I discovered this.  We are peculiar. 

And yes, squishy white bread (toasted) for creamed chipped beef – Texas Toast is good, too.  That must have been someone else you are thinking of, @Thanks for the Crepes.  I don’t use Buddig – sometimes Armour in the jar and sometimes something in a pouch that Food Lion carries, but not Buddig.  Though now, I’m remembering Buddig ham sandwiches on Wonder bread with nostalgia. :D

• Like 2