• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

image.jpeg

Almost got it into the Dutch oven square on this time. This one went home with my number two son tonight. I swear one of these days I'm going to make a loaf that stays here.  This was made with some Wegmans all purpose flour that found its way to my house via Buffalo.  It is considerably lower in gluten than the flour I normally use  but seems to have worked just fine.  I am guessing the flour used by Ken Forkish is probably of a similar gluten content. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

By no means the prettiest loaf you ever seen but that guarantees that it will stay here and not go walkabouts. This is Paul Hollywood's British Bloomer and I lay the blame for its creation (not its ugliness) squarely on the shoulders of @chefmd (here).  I still find its name elicits a school girl giggle from me.  Next time I make it I will better understand the need to coat the whole loaf in flour rather that then just the top.  The Trencher bread from this same book is also calling my name  or perhaps it is the lamb topping he recommends.

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Much better. Did not really need an excuse for a repeat performance but learned this morning that there would be an extra person coming over this evening and I wanted at least something to gift him.  I happen to know how much he loves bread. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh Dear. I suppose it was that mug of egg nog and Maker's Mark before bed last night, but this is what happens when you leave the dough in a bread pan to rise.  Then forget about it until morning.  It's supposed to be cut into thick slices for French Toast Christmas morning, so we'll see what hell I wrought by letting it go way too far!

IMG_1467.JPG 

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

is the breadRx from a book or the BBC :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636

But it is the same as that one. I use my mixer to do the kneading. The recipe you link to calls for just dusting with flour but the book suggests using your hands to apply it. I usually reduce the yeast to a single teaspoon.  

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

What's the books title ?

Paul Hollywood's Bread. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Beautiful. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

With all the ham and turkey left over from Christmas, I needed sandwich bread. This is the flaxseed potato bread from Food 52 (recipe here). It makes a substantial loaf -- I baked it in my 9 x 5 pan, and it rose significantly and had a great oven spring as well. Beautiful loaf, but for the blister on top; I should have slashed it and didn't.

flaxseed potato bread -- 1.jpg

This is a substantial bread; two slices of it will make you a sandwich that will hold you for several hours. It's quite moist, and the flaxseed (I used meal, because it was what my hand found first in the cabinet) lends a great, nutty quality.

fsp bread 3.jpg

Here, the loaf is sliced and ready for freezing. I interleave it with waxed paper and put the whole thing in a gallon zip-loc bag.

fsp toast, breakfast.jpg

And here, a slice toasted, spread with ricotta cheese and peach preserves, and some bacon made a good breakfast.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Malt Loaf from Paul Hollywood's Breads. Added some extra flour to aid handling the dough because I failed to read the instructions.

I have an almost unquenchable desire to name him.:P

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

@cakewalk, you slice much straighter than I do. I didn't get out my little slicer guide thingy; I should have.

Your slices look beautiful. I like the idea of wax paper between the slices, I usually just wrap the whole loaf in a plastic bag and hope for the best. ;> It's usually okay.

• Like 1

Today I made my first attempt at English muffins following this.image.jpeg

I have to say they were only partially successful.  I used less than 2 cups of flour and even so had much more of a dough than a batter.  From the comments on the blog  it seems I'm not the only person who found the ratio of liquid to solid incompatible with anything remotely pourable.  My suspicion at present rests with the instant potato mixture. My instant potatoes are much more like a powder than like the flakes that I have otherwise known.  The recipe obviously works for @robirdstx so I have to suspect either operator error or an ingredient issue. These are too thick  but also the crust is tough, very tough.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Single this weekend so I can play with stuff...

told a friend of mine who went to UB(State University of Buffalo) along with his sweet wife that I was making kummelweck rolls this weekend so.....expect a delivery early next week.  I am thinking that either the Buffalo or Fredonia beef on 'weck would be a good thing to eat.  

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

I know I can Google it, but I'd rather hear your description of what these are. I've never heard of them. (Thank you!)

Kummelweck rolls are a yeast roll made with some of the water from boiling potatoes, mashed potatoes, and then topped with caraway seeds and kosher or baking salt.  Thank goodness for Jane and Michael Stern's book of Road Food recipes my Mom gave me.   I love either version of beef on weck and try to spread it as far as I can.......

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:47 PM, Anna N said:

My suspicion at present rests with the instant potato mixture. My instant potatoes are much more like a powder than like the flakes that I have otherwise known.  The recipe obviously works for @robirdstx so I have to suspect either operator error or an ingredient issue. These are too thick  but also the crust is tough, very tough.

Maybe like my kummelwick  use real mash and the potato starch water?  None of my English muffin recipes have potato flakes in them......

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites