• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DianaM

The Bread Topic (2016-)

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Here is a forum question.    How long does your home bake bread maintain its first day flavor and texture?    DH tires of our loaves in 24 hours.    Of course, they have value in different guises, but they lose their ethereal-ness early on.    I don't find this astonishing.   For me, after it loses it virginal bloom, I grill, toast and sop. 

Your opinions?

Really depends on the type of bread, for me. Most white flour, yeast-raised breads have pretty short staying power, with an edge to the enriched ones. But I find a lot of sourdough (particularly with whole grains) actually tastes better after resting a day.

I’m told that tangzhong helps a lot with keeping sandwich style loaves nice for longer, but I’ve only really used it in breads designed for it, so I can’t really compare.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes the second day is 95% as good as the first day, but that's about it.  I normally freeze bread the day I make it unless it is baked late in the day.

• Thanks 1

We have been baking bread out of Forkish's Flour Water Salt Yeast and what we have noticed is:

• Breads continue to develop flavor 24 to 48 hours after baking, particularly the large 1.5kg boules 
  • The recipes with wholemeal/wholegrain remain moist for longer than recipes dominated by white flour
  • The breads do not develop mold - we keep them in a pillow case/bread bag and eventually the scraps become croutons or bread crumbs once they dry out

My wife is also intolerant to Soy, and one would be amazed at how many commercial bakeries use Soy Flour in their bread recipes.

My next goal is to replicate Ann_T's Baguette's which look very enticing.

Cheers

Luke

• Like 2

Bread09092019.png

I vouchedsafe tonight's baguette a more aggressive bake.  Forty minutes as opposed to half an hour.  Mai tai is almost finished; and I shall assay the result with cheese and fruit.  Couple of new cheeses from amazon.

• Like 3

Finally got around to feeding my sourdough starter this week.

Fed it once to revive and a second time for good measure. Second time I used some of the discard in a 

Biga.  Handmixed a batch of dough on Friday morning before leaving for work and left it in the fridge until

yesterday afternoon.

719858627_SourdoughbakeSeptember14th20191.thumb.jpg.baad4a777a35718ffc1af82128586415.jpg

Baked last night.

1101759521_SourdoughbakeSeptember14th20192.thumb.jpg.ef324b3cb77f7ed977eed2d1b44c2660.jpg

Sliced this morning. 

1608014772_CheesePizzaSeptember14th2019.thumb.jpg.c70fd2f6f8fe0e78fbfea151d47ab0d6.jpg

And a simple cheese pizza.

• Like 9