• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

56 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

White sandwich bread

What size pan was used for this loaf?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Chris Hennes said:

It’s a 1kg loaf in a 13”x4”x4” (sorry for the mixed units!)

Thanks.  I thought the cross-section was larger than 4 x 4.  Sometimes sizes are hard to judge. Does the book recommend particular pans for sandwich loaves? 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Thanks.  I thought the cross-section was larger than 4 x 4.  Sometimes sizes are hard to judge. Does the book recommend particular pans for sandwich loaves? 

They provide a table of common pan sizes and recipe scalings and cooking times and temps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

@Chris Hennes

Your French lean bread (with the accompanying sound effects) certainly looks very much like many no-knead  loaves I have seen and made. Is there anything to distinguish “yours”?

Never mind I see you have answered it in the other topic.  Hate parallel topics.:( 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

9F0FEBD5-C5F6-486F-8E3F-532E54882BF4.thumb.jpeg.7d2d85498d65bd809d468627de9093e3.jpeg8766C1FD-A07C-4C91-905B-9799D557521F.thumb.jpeg.1f7eba1304ac9f7c9b694353e71eaef5.jpeg

Simple overnight white, no-knead bread from Ken Forkish. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Just one. I always only make one. I simply divide the quantities by two. It’s just so easy to do when it’s mostly in metric. :)

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Agreed.  I have the book and it is a lovely looking loaf.

Thank you. I need to be a little more courageous when I tip from the banneton into the screaming hot Dutch oven because once again it landed badly. 

I do know all about slings and about starting it in a cold Dutch oven but this is my preferred method and I will continue to try and get it right. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought some white Whole wheat flour the other day, labelled as Bob's Red Mill Ivory Wheat Flour.  I used it to make a loaf of Harvest Grains Bread, based on a recipe on the KAF site.  We love it.  The whole wheat flavour is not nearly as strong (bitter?) as regular whole wheat flour which for us is a good thing.  For as long as I can get my hands on this type of flour, I'll be using it in place of regular whole wheat.  

20171012_103249.jpg

• Like 6

The Speerville mill here in New Brunswick does an organic "Whole White," from locally grown wheat, which is quite good. If the Bob's should become unavailable, PM me and I'll find out how much shipping would be to send you some. It's stone-ground, so texturally it'll be slightly different, but it makes good bread. I found it to be a bit soft, so I picked up some gluten from Bulk Barn and added a wee bit of that to each batch. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7F226D66-8748-42CD-93CC-BA01B7C25644.thumb.jpeg.f2a30f4e51dabd819d24851f09e6d885.jpeg3D52BB1B-BAE0-48DE-AA11-6355FAB70A0B.thumb.jpeg.d2b1e82f1243eb256dd7a0622beca980.jpeg7506DE09-C0CC-43D8-B90A-562BC0439A84.thumb.jpeg.16c547dab88693b26a113d6c073036dd.jpeg

I believe this is the same recipe that @ElsieD used above.  A friend brought me some white whole wheat from the US and definitely makes a huge difference. (I used my own seed mix.) But I also read somewhere, I can’t give credit because I’m not sure where, that 2 tablespoons of orange juice added to dough made with (non white?) whole wheat flour will cut the bitterness. Have not tried that yet.  

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I believe this is the same recipe that @ElsieD used above.  A friend brought me some white whole wheat from the US and definitely makes a huge difference. (I used my own seed mix.) But I also read somewhere, I can’t give credit because I’m not sure where, that 2 tablespoons of orange juice added to dough made with (non white?) whole wheat flour will cut the bitterness. Have not tried that yet.  

The orange juice does work with regular whole wheat, however, the taste of white whole wheat still wins.

From KAF:   "Whole-wheat flour is made from hard red spring or winter wheat, which has a nutty, hearty taste.

• White whole-wheat flour is made from hard white spring or winter wheat, which has the exact same nutritional value of whole-wheat flour, but because of the variety used, has a milder flavor and paler color."

BTW, that's one gorgeous loaf!

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, lindag said:

BTW, that's one gorgeous loaf!

Thank you. I am going to make it again probably tomorrow but I will mix up a different variety of seeds. I do enjoy pumpkin seeds but in this case I think there was too much of a good thing. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thank you. I am going to make it again probably tomorrow but I will mix up a different variety of seeds. I do enjoy pumpkin seeds but in this case I think there was too much of a good thing. 

That was exactly my take on that recipe when I made it (I think it was the same KAF recipe).

• Like 1

I bounced out of bed this morning eager to make a loaf of oat bran and flaxseed bread having discovered an unopened box of oat bran as I continued the clean up after my relatively minor domestic mishap (think Puerto Rico, California et al.). 

OK so there’s a bit of an exaggeration here. I didn’t bounce out of bed. In fact I don’t bounce anywhere anymore intentionally.  But I was eager to get started.

Set up my mise,  proofed my yeast and started to weigh my ingredients. But when I opened the box of bran I discovered its contents were moving of their own volition.  Not requiring any extra protein and not being one to deal well with creepy crawlies I turned to Plan B. 

Again a bit of an exaggeration. There was at this point no Plan B. 

But having dumped a whole box of oat bran into the garbage bin I wasn’t really keen on throwing away the other ingredients that I carefully measured out. 

So I looked through my pantry and I turned up some large flake oats and threw them into the mix.  I knew I was going to be on my own in terms of adjusting the flour and water ratio to accommodate the new ingredient. 

Everything seem to be going along just fine. I opted to use the Cuisinart steam oven and I don’t know whether it was to blame or not. I just don’t trust it with bread. Anyway my bread emerged looking rather sad and with very little lift.  I seriously considered sending it in the same direction as the package  of oat bran. 

But I thought,  before I throw it out, I’ll at least taste it to see if it’s worth a repeat at another time. To my surprise it was quite pleasant and would’ve made a fine side to a bowl of soup. 

2A092C12-A63D-4D11-BF9B-32CBE0E06FB0.thumb.jpeg.c14e920269e89df23a1ee7aea9cf851d.jpeg

But being so low to the ground it’s not really suitable for sandwiches. 

So I made another loaf of the Harvest Grains bread. This time I used 75 g of mixed seeds consisting of sesame seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. 

I opened my big oven to prepare it to accept this new bread but couldn’t bear the thought of moving three cast-iron frying pans, two sheet pans, two cooling racks  and a muffin tin.  I know @Shelby  understands completely.

So this bread too went into the Cuisinart steam oven. 

B3499157-1E2E-474F-BF49-FBE5644F0144.thumb.jpeg.442e6551d8ad6409881c76f65085a7da.jpeg

I had to use foil of course else the crust would have burned but perhaps there is a little room for hope. E535FDD3-CCFC-43D3-A616-44D95A513567.thumb.jpeg.e55a84152c1ccdac9ddfe5e9768d2dbb.jpeg

This should make a decent sandwich. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't baked in months.  So I have a very happy husband.  He doesn't whine much, but he does whine about eating bakery bought bread.

Handmixed a 1000g batch of dough at 73% hydration on Saturday night and left it overnight in the fridge.

59ee314be745a_BaguettesOctober22nd20171.thumb.jpg.8db012900fca9a37dd1c4c3065f571c3.jpg

Baked two small baguettes Sunday night. 

Will bake again over the next couple of days. 

59ee315faf4b7_NavyBeansandToastedBaquetteOctober23rd2017.thumb.jpg.2df0b3b766631c4285310e36c9d96209.jpg

Makes great toast.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Would love to see the crumb.

Yes, I hadn't sliced it yet, had to wait for it to cool.  I wrapped it and will slice it this morning.  It feels lighter, less dense that I usually get with my other recipes.  Will see.

Edited by lindag (log)