• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Last night's bake.  Dough was made on Wednesday.  I fed my sourdough starter, but rather than make a preferment for a new batch, I just tossed 60g of the discard into a 1000g of flour and added 3g of yeast.  70%hydration.  

After the last stretch and fold the dough went into the fridge for 24 hours.  Matt took the dough out of the fridge for me so that it would be ready to use shortly after I got home from work.

210621567_BaguettesandRoundsOctober24thbakeOctober23rddoughmade.thumb.jpg.e02583d1b3ad3a0f43b39340993c4ec3.jpg

Four baguettes and two boules. 

1440462203_BaguettesandRoundsOctober24thbakeOctober23rddoughmade2.thumb.jpg.82a5f2184ac7895ec9f88615368ee852.jpg

Sliced this morning. 

1491150220_ThreeCheesePizzaOctober24th20191.thumb.jpg.36ec055208e30004bd670a79adfb26a2.jpg

Left Matt enough dough to make a small cheese pizza.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2

It looks instead I never baked in my life 😅🤣🤣🤣 Disaster guys. But I don’t think it’s matter of techniques, I bet it’s just yeast and flour. 

Of course I say something and never follow. I decided to try the longer rise. Usual quantities 348g flour, 75% water, salt 8g, oil 8g and yeast only .5g of red star. 

I made the dough and even checked the temperature 22C. Kept it a room temperature for two hours and then refrigerated (6pm). The morning after I decided to take it out of the refrigerator because it didn’t move not even a bit, at 6:30am, by noon it didn’t rise much so I turn on the proofing function of my oven and there it went until almost 4pm. At that point I did what in Italian is called the staglio *cut *, no really cut for me because I only had one portion and shaping using the Arletto  style. BTW I have a link for you from this guy with different shaping options depending on your time for the « appretto » the rise after the cut. 

Usually for the teglia romana the dough comes out of the refrigerator and you do the cut and the shaping approximately 4-5 hours before baking. I did a double rise. I think clearly my yeast is too low. And I used King Arthur bread flour, I need to buy at least Caputo blu. I think I did an ok job in shaping the dough for the teglia and the transfer on the pan. Oven was with the stone function at 550F. 

I think first I will try to avoid the double rise, make the dough, leave at room temperature 1-2 hours, fridge, shape, proof. I think I will start by doubling my yeast to 1g and see what happens. 

First photo is the dough just poured on the table after the first rise, then shaped, 2nd rise, final shameful product. 

1320CE9D-8505-4FF4-BFC3-5A3D7238F41F.jpeg

23A6E36B-56CF-426B-A839-F203024D3B8C.jpeg

A0DC2934-03A1-4C7C-80D9-A2DFDB3F4CA7.jpeg

EB9386A0-11CC-4E38-B19D-5A214C398B16.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Last night's bake.  Dough was made on Wednesday.  I fed my sourdough starter, but rather than make a preferment for a new batch, I just tossed 60g of the discard into a 1000g of flour and added 3g of yeast.  70%hydration.  

After the last stretch and fold the dough went into the fridge for 24 hours.  Matt took the dough out of the fridge for me so that it would be ready to use shortly after I got home from work.

210621567_BaguettesandRoundsOctober24thbakeOctober23rddoughmade.thumb.jpg.e02583d1b3ad3a0f43b39340993c4ec3.jpg

Four baguettes and two boules. 

1440462203_BaguettesandRoundsOctober24thbakeOctober23rddoughmade2.thumb.jpg.82a5f2184ac7895ec9f88615368ee852.jpg

Sliced this morning. 

1491150220_ThreeCheesePizzaOctober24th20191.thumb.jpg.36ec055208e30004bd670a79adfb26a2.jpg

Left Matt enough dough to make a small cheese pizza.

What kind of cheese does Matt like?

30 minutes ago, demiglace said:

What kind of cheese does Matt like?

Unlike his mother, who only wants fresh mozzarella on a pizza, Matt likes mozzarella, cheddar, and usually parmesan.

And I've seen him use smoked cheese as well on occasion.  When he isn't having a cheese pizza he usually wants

the Greek pizza with potatoes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Unlike his mother, who only wants fresh mozzarella on a pizza, Matt likes mozzarella, cheddar, and usually parmesan.

And I've seen him use smoked cheese as well on occasion.  When he isn't having a cheese pizza he usually wants

the Greek pizza with potatoes.

It looks so good and I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks. I've never had a greek pizza, something to try though. I'm intrigued by the potatoes. Your son has good taste!

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Maybe it looks better than it tasted. It tasted like it didn’t rise correctly, heavy! 

It does absolutely look light and airy.   Crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle.  Really delightful.  I'm sorry if that's not the case but I still think you may be too harsh on yourself and I appreciate your sharing the whole process!

Franci, I am a renegade.    I seldom meticulously follow direction nor listen to conventional wisdom.    I have had pretty good success with this kind of flatbread,, pizza al taglio or foccacia, using the no=knead proportions

500 gr flour

400 ml water

1/4 teaspoon dry yeast

1 teaspoon kosher salt

After I combine all ingredients, I cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 18 hours.    At this point it is light and active, and is easily persuaded into an oiled quarter sheet pan.    It is then dressed with a tomato sauce or simply olive oil, allowed to rest/rise for about 15 minutes before baking in the bottom quarter of a 550F oven.     Results in a pretty good produce.  

I'd love your comparative evaluation.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Thank you for sharing @Margaret Pilgrim. I’d love to try your dough. Stubborn as I am, I just need to nail it. Remember when I told you that one time I got something spectacular? I looked for it and indeed I shared with you guys. Look at this 🤩 could I possibly repeat it over and over, no matter the timing and the ingredients? 

38 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Franci, I am a renegade.    I seldom meticulously follow direction nor listen to conventional wisdom.    I have had pretty good success with this kind of flatbread,, pizza al taglio or foccacia, using the no=knead proportions

500 gr flour

400 ml water

1/4 teaspoon dry yeast

1 teaspoon kosher salt

After I combine all ingredients, I cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 18 hours.    At this point it is light and active, and is easily persuaded into an oiled quarter sheet pan.    It is then dressed with a tomato sauce or simply olive oil, allowed to rest/rise for about 15 minutes before baking in the bottom quarter of a 550F oven.     Results in a pretty good produce.  

I'd love your comparative evaluation.

Regular yeast or instant?  Bread flour?  I'll give this a try.

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Regular yeast or instant?  Bread flour?  I'll give this a try.

I use instant yeast (that's been my freezer for several years, bought in huge quantity, considering that this bread takes 1/4 teaspoon).    I always use an unbleached flour,  occasionally a bread flour, when on sale I buy King Arthur.    I see little if any difference in them.   

eGullet member #80.

6 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I use instant yeast (that's been my freezer for several years, bought in huge quantity, considering that this bread takes 1/4 teaspoon).    I always use an unbleached flour,  occasionally a bread flour, when on sale I buy King Arthur.    I see little if any difference in them.   

Sorry to be so thick.  That would be unbleached AP flour?  That and bread flour is what I have.  We can't get KAF here.  Well, we can, if we want to pay shipping.

Definitely I am going to buy another yeast, getting Saf on Amazon... I made a direct dough today with a decent amount of yeast and I live in Florida, it’s hot! For me this should have raised much more for the yeast and the time. Nevertheless it was delicious and if you never tried it here is a link for YouTube. If you need help translating, just ask. Coca de forner of Xavier Barriga, typical Catalan flatbread. Ah, I want to add that in the box they put 300ml of water to 500g of flour, that is a 60% hydration...no way. Look how much more wet is that dough, I did 65% put I guess is at least 70%

08AADAD5-312A-4BBA-AFF5-47123A4B3A4E.jpeg

328AD1B0-8377-49F6-A0FF-4DE26177763B.jpeg

167FC756-48C9-46AB-B062-3BC8D4DF1F9D.jpeg

CB28B834-147B-4427-BF97-3257D3027DA7.jpeg

434BEF00-EED4-414C-AEB5-8D05C22132AB.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Definitely I am going to buy another yeast, getting Saf on Amazon... I made a direct dough today with a decent amount of yeast and I live in Florida, it’s hot! For me this should have raised much more for the yeast and the time. Nevertheless it was delicious and if you never tried it here is a link for YouTube. If you need help translating, just ask. Coca de forner of Xavier Barriga, typical Catalan flatbread. Ah, I want to add that in the box they put 300ml of water to 500g of flour, that is a 60% hydration...no way. Look how much more wet is that dough, I did 65% put I guess is at least 70%

@Franci,  500g of flour and 300g of water would be 60%. Not 300 ml.

• Confused 1

Franci

Your bread look fabulous.

I need some help with the translation if you don't mind.

Just the mixing and resting periods. The recipe is understandable.

Also is it pine nuts with sugar? What fluid does she pour over those breads at the end?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards from a sunny Brisbane.

23 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Franci I've guess I've never seen a recipe that calls for flour in grams and not the water in grams as well.

Looking at your dough it seems so much wetter than 60% hydration.

When I make my next dough, I'll measure the water in ml and then weigh.

Actually, it’s quite common for non professional recipes to have liquids in ml. But I know water is for sure the only liquid where there is no difference, so I always measure in g. 

Edited by Franci (log)

26 minutes ago, Nemesis034 said:

Franci

Your bread look fabulous.

I need some help with the translation if you don't mind.

Just the mixing and resting periods. The recipe is understandable.

Also is it pine nuts with sugar? What fluid does she pour over those breads at the end?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards from a sunny Brisbane.

Sure! So,  just to recap, he does mix roughly flour, salt, oil and water, let rest 30 minutes. Then goes in the yeast and flaps and folds for 3 times with 15 minutes intervals in the fridge,  at the 4th flap and fold the dough rests for 2 hours. Doesn’t specify if in the fridge or not. Then divide the dough, shape it, oil it and let rise from 1 to to 2 hours. Here he gives a tip for pine nuts. Soak them for at least 2 hours if you don’t want to burn them in the oven, dust with sugar. It can be substituted with almonds for a cheaper option.  The liquid at the end is anise liquor. I’ve seen some people even light it to flambé the coca. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1