• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Another thanks for posting that, @Franci.   I need to go set up some of this dough so I can make it tomorrow!

It's certainly not as authentic as yours but I've been making the al taglio dough @ 80% hydration from Marc Vetri's Mastering Pizza which he also credits to Gabriele Bonci.  

500g bread flour (I've been adding 20% stone ground whole grain flour), 400ml water, 4 g dry yeast, and 15g salt.  He dissolves the salt in a 50 ml portion of the water and adds it during the second round of turns and folds.

All together, the dough gets three sets of turns and folds over the course of 1.5 - 2 hrs, then a fridge ferment for 12-36 hrs before being shaped and put into half sheet pans (45 x 33 cm, I've been using 2 quarter sheet pans instead) to bake @ 500°F, placing the sheet pans on a pre-heated baking steel.  

• Like 3

On 10/18/2019 at 7:03 PM, Franci said:

As I mention in the dinner thread, I am going to post here my result on the “Pizza in teglia alla romana”

Another thank you from me for posting all of this, Franci. I probably will not attempt it but that doesn’t mean that I’m not totally fascinated by the process and grateful that you are willing to take the time to teach us. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I made the dough this morning  for the Pizza in Teglia.   I was working today so after the last stretch and fold the dough went into the fridge until about 3:00.

Matt took it out then so it would be ready to use tonight.   I made a 1000g batch at 80% .

96464479_PizzaintegliawithpotatoesandrosemaryOctober19th2019.thumb.jpg.16ce5b6bdada0e72b4135cc0afb5d027.jpg

One topped with potato and rosemary

573912223_PizzaintegliawithpotatoesandrosemaryOctober19th20193.thumb.jpg.501dc0042f3bad96fa0a500516c57806.jpg

for Matthew and

1569606018_PizzaintegliathreeinoneOctober19th2019.thumb.jpg.9cd38c997e9972397ded0a6a2ea43b7c.jpg

I made one for Moe and I with three different toppings.

One third mushrooms, one third pepperoni and olives and one third roasted tomatoes with pesto. 

1340033211_PizzaintegliathreeinoneOctober19th20196.thumb.jpg.685400a872678e9e46253af22d63b56d.jpg

Crumb shot.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I made the dough this morning  for the Pizza in Teglia.   I was working today so after the last stretch and fold the dough went into the fridge until about 3:00.

Matt took it out then so it would be ready to use tonight.   I made a 1000g batch at 80% .

96464479_PizzaintegliawithpotatoesandrosemaryOctober19th2019.thumb.jpg.16ce5b6bdada0e72b4135cc0afb5d027.jpg

One topped with potato and rosemary

573912223_PizzaintegliawithpotatoesandrosemaryOctober19th20193.thumb.jpg.501dc0042f3bad96fa0a500516c57806.jpg

for Matthew and

1569606018_PizzaintegliathreeinoneOctober19th2019.thumb.jpg.9cd38c997e9972397ded0a6a2ea43b7c.jpg

I made one for Moe and I with three different toppings.

One third mushrooms, one third pepperoni and olives and one third roasted tomatoes with pesto. 

1340033211_PizzaintegliathreeinoneOctober19th20196.thumb.jpg.685400a872678e9e46253af22d63b56d.jpg

Crumb shot.

That is a thing of beauty - how does it compare to the dough you usually make your pizza with in terms of flavor etc?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

55 minutes ago, Franci said:

@Ann_T you have magical hands! Beautiful! As Kerry, I am also curious about your impression on the results. 

@Franci  , @Kerry Beal I don't think the dough was much different.    I checked out a number of recipes on line both in English and translated a few from Italian

and most seemed to be a higher hydration than what I normally use and more yeast as well.   And I don't usually add oil to the dough I use for baguettes and pizza.

I mixed up a 1000g of flour at 80% hydration with 7g of yeast and 27g of salt and I added some olive oil.  (a glug).  The dough spent about 6 hours in the fridge.

It was easy to work with and spread out easy.  Baking in an oiled pan contributed to that wonderful crust that had a crackle when bit into.     

I divided the dough into thirds so I still have a piece that I put back into the fridge.   Each pizza was 600 g.    Matthew loved his potato pizza.

And of the three toppings on ours, Moe really liked the one with the tomatoes and my favourite was the mushroom. 

I'm interested in seeing how different the piece of dough still in the fridge will be when baked.  

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

I got a bit annoyed that I could not provide a crumb shot, so my family had to cope with another pizza al taglio tonight ...

302964F9-A79B-4400-A809-C0DB0303223E.thumb.jpeg.fb77ba7af9553585bec95dabcdece233.jpeg

F*** Me - gorgeous! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@Duvel really nice! Which flour do you use? It totally drives

me nuts that in Italy they use specific  flours, with all the technical information,  depending on how long they want to keep their dough in the fridge. Here I almost have to look for bread flour 😒. I could look for polselli or caputo on line but in Florida humid weather I don’t want to store flour for long time. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Franci said:

@Duvel really nice! Which flour do you use? It totally drives

me nuts that in Italy they use specific  flours, with all the technical information,  depending on how long they want to keep their dough in the fridge. Here I almost have to look for bread flour 😒. I could look for polselli or caputo on line but in Florida humid weather I don’t want to store flour for long time. 

I use an organic T550 flour from my local supermarket. They have a lot of varieties:

9C5CA90F-831D-4A39-A597-8E7345683CBC.thumb.jpeg.607a20ef3cb2348054a1098586051155.jpeg

I haven’t „set“ on a favorite yet since I returned, but this one gives good results. 

To be honest: my flours usually don't last long enough to make me worry about long storage times ...

• Like 1

This may be a stupid question...

Is it possible to make a double batch of bread dough, freeze half, and later thaw and shape the dough and have it rise?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yup - used to freeze bread dough all the time.  Now it was typically a loaf cooked in a pan but I suspect a lean dough would still do fine.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This may be a stupid question...

Is it possible to make a double batch of bread dough, freeze half, and later thaw and shape the dough and have it rise?

I do it with my toutons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Only possible problem is that if you freeze it slowly then some yeast cells will die, so the rising will be slower. If you have a blast freezer on your way then you are totally safe for this, lots of restaurants use this method for their breads. Thawing process is better made in the fridge and not at room temperature.

Teo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Teo

Today's lunch was a veggie pizza al taglio.  Crust recipe from Marc Vetri's Mastering Pizza. 20% whole grain, stone ground spelt flour, 20% Italian 00 pizza flour and 60% Gold Medal bread flour.  The spelt was an intentional experiment, the Italian flour was only added because I ran out of bread flour and it was Gold Medal only because the store was out of King Arthur bread flour. 

Thanks to @Duvel for posting the link to the video up thread.  I practiced the over-the-arm dough transfer shown in the video with a towel first and it worked like a charm with the dough.  Much better than the way I had been doing it. 

Toppings:  tomato sauce (passata + salt and a little olive oil), gold cherry tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, kalamata olives, red onion, mozzarella & a little Parm.  More mozz was added at the half way point. 

IMG_1449.thumb.jpeg.63c9d9fca3cecdf92f3d7a4d5f08a397.jpeg

IMG_1450.thumb.jpeg.971f3587abf990000736fe1d6da5ca3a.jpeg

1288109604_IMG_1456(1).thumb.jpeg.20ccb6dfc3578b069902310ce9d1d87d.jpeg 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Bread10212019.png

Tonight's loaves were tacky; hard to shape.  Particularly the boule.  If I had to guess I'd say the dough was undermixed.  Without exception I have a problem mixing with my KitchenAid because the dough hook never fully grabs the small amount of dough.

This is the reason I asked about making larger batches and freezing a portion of the dough.  Sadly, @teonzo, the blast freezer has not yet shipped.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This is the reason I asked about making larger batches and freezing a portion of the dough.  Sadly, @teonzo, the blast freezer has not yet shipped.

Freeze it with no fear. I froze lots of croissants and other viennoiseries at home, with my old chest freezer (25 years old), never got any troubles.

Teo

Teo

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

Freeze it with no fear. I froze lots of croissants and other viennoiseries at home, with my old chest freezer (25 years old), never got any troubles.

If making dough exclusively for the freezer, you can always add some extra yeast to compensate for the freezer loss.

I think the wrinkle here is splitting a batch between fresh baked and frozen -- they'll both work, but they'll rise differently.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, teonzo said:

Teo

Was the dough shaped or not yet shaped when you froze it?

On 10/19/2019 at 7:25 AM, blue_dolphin said:

It's certainly not as authentic as yours but I've been making the al taglio dough @ 80% hydration from Marc Vetri's Mastering Pizza which he also credits to Gabriele Bonci.  

500g bread flour (I've been adding 20% stone ground whole grain flour), 400ml water, 4 g dry yeast, and 15g salt. 

This is essentially the 18hour bread formula I have been using for Dutch oven bread.     I recently started using it for flat breads and it works beautifully re effort, crumb and flavor.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Was the dough shaped or not yet shaped when you froze it?

It was shaped. There is no difference if it's shaped or not: yeast activity is affected by freezing and defrosting, not by shaping.

Teo

• Thanks 1

Teo