• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

I can report that the 50/50 rye has great flavor plain - is even better toasted.  Decades ago Van de Kamp's sold Rye Melba Toast with Caraway in their restaurants and in some grocery stores. Hughe's market, where I shopped regularly, carried it.  One got a whole pound of melba toast cheaper than the hard stuff in the smaller boxes.

This bread/toast has that rather elusive flavor that I could never before duplicate.

The Bay State medium Rye Meal is from New York Bakers  who,  oddly enough, are located in San Diego, CA.

I use several of their products but this is the first time I have done this particular combination.

I like the Giusto's unbleached artisan flour for certain breads and rolls - it produces a thin but very crisp/brittle crust on German hard rolls or water rolls. 

If you have questions, you can actually phone them and get pertinent information.

(619) 508-7720

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 7/18/2019 at 5:58 PM, Okanagancook said:

I found a few recipes for these...described as being similar to gougeres.

That's fairly accurate, though they're a bit softer. Have not made them myself, but they are common to find at Brazilian restaurants and bakeries here in Boston. If nothing else, ATK should have had access to good examples!

• Thanks 1

First loaf baked in the CSO for me. No real diversion from my previous recipe -- still working off the KAF naturally leavened sourdough recipe as a base. 50% bread flour, 45% whole wheat flour, and 5% rye. Definitely have some tinkering to do with the CSO itself (will leave that discussion for the CSO thread).

My dough was also pretty sluggish yesterday -- I'm guessing I didn't let the starter sit long enough after I fed it. Took a lot longer than usual to rise, and despite the bubbles, the crumb is a little denser than I usually like. A bit of shine in the holes, though. Have another loaf that I stuck in the fridge after initial kneading; we'll see if a few days of rest will do it some good.

cso_crumb.jpg

cso_loaf.jpg

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Someone on a thread mentioned putting bread in the CSO on super steam for a bit and then transferring the loaf to a regular oven rather than using the bread setting on the CSO.  I have looked through this topic and the CSO topic and can't find it.  Does anyone recall this?

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Someone on a thread mentioned putting bread in the CSO on super steam for a bit and then transferring the loaf to a regular oven rather than using the bread setting on the CSO.  I have looked through this topic and the CSO topic and can't find it.  Does anyone recall this?

I don't recall anyone using the CSO super steam setting for bread but in this post above, @Ann_T said:

Started each loaf off in the CSO using the bread steam setting.   After 10 to 12 minutes moved the loaf to the Oster to finish baking.   

This method allows me to bake a number of loaves with the benefit of the steam, in a short period of time.  

Earlier, in this post, she said:

In order to get the benefit of the steam and not take forever to bake I started each baguette in the 

steam oven on the steam bake and after 10 minutes I transferred the baguette to a stone in  the Oster Oven.  Was able to bake the eight loaves in 80 minutes.  

Do either of those comments sound like what you were remembering?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I don't recall anyone using the CSO super steam setting for bread but in this post above, @Ann_T said:

Earlier, in this post, she said:

Do either of those comments sound like what you were remembering?

I tried super steam:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153705-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=2209048

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@blue_dolphin and @JoNorvelleWalker  Thank you both.  I don't know why I couldn't find the one post, let alone the second.  I have made note of both.  Yesterday I baked a Brioche loaf in my 9" Pullman pan without the lid and baked it on the bread setting in the CSO for 10 minutes to get the steam.  I then finished baking it in the Breville.  As you can see it turned out nicely but the crust for a brioche is darker than I would like it to be.  I'll try the other two methods next.

20190724_100510.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

On 7/23/2019 at 12:45 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

By special request from grand-daughter for birthday dinner.      I have a feeling they're going to spoil their dinners with warm slices slathered with butter.   But spoiling is what it's all about.

Beautiful loaf @Margaret Pilgrim.  Lucky grand-daughter.

605130704_BaguettesJuly24th2019.thumb.jpg.a7af1c8865c8ea92fe4ab50a98b2e1f8.jpg

Today's bake.
Dough started early this morning.

717244293_BaguettesJuly24th20193.thumb.jpg.589667902bb767aaa130dd0fd4511b2c.jpg

12 small baguettes. Perfect size for slicing horizontally for toast or for sandwiches.

ETA: All baguettes started on a stone in CSO on Bread setting for 10 minutes  and transferred to stone in Oster for another 10 minutes.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

On 7/22/2019 at 11:26 AM, dtremit said:

First loaf baked in the CSO for me. No real diversion from my previous recipe -- still working off the KAF naturally leavened sourdough recipe as a base. 50% bread flour, 45% whole wheat flour, and 5% rye. Definitely have some tinkering to do with the CSO itself (will leave that discussion for the CSO thread).

Second loaf from Sunday's dough, baked yesterday in the CSO. This time I dropped it (on parchment) into a preheated 8" cast iron skillet. 15min Super Steam @ 400F, followed by 20min convection bake @ 450F. CSO-specific discussion on that thread, but other than the blackened top, I'm pretty thrilled with this. May need to start in CSO and finish in the Breville as @ElsieD is doing.

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dtremit said:

Second loaf from Sunday's dough, baked yesterday in the CSO. This time I dropped it (on parchment) into a preheated 8" cast iron skillet. 15min Super Steam @ 400F, followed by 20min convection bake @ 450F. CSO-specific discussion on that thread, but other than the blackened top, I'm pretty thrilled with this. May need to start in CSO and finish in the Breville as @ElsieD is doing.

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

This looks fabulous.   Have you tried just baking it in a cast iron Dutch oven?

eGullet member #80.

59 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This looks fabulous.   Have you tried just baking it in a cast iron Dutch oven?

I've had good luck baking in a Lodge "Combo cooker" (which is like a Dutch oven with a skillet lid) -- but that only fits in my main oven, not in anything smaller.

At this time of year, I'm trying hard not to run my big oven unless I'm making a big batch of bread on a cooler day. 

I've had some semolina flour in my big freezer for a year as well as some white whole wheat (King Arthur) and have used up much of my bread flour, so decided to use these as I have a recipe that makes great bread for sandwiches, for TOASTING and can be baked in the bread machine (1/2 the batch), in loaf pans or as Vienna loaves. It can be baked in baguettes but as it has a medium fine crumb, one loses the real advantage of this bread which is as a sandwich bread.

Semolina Bread for Bread Machine  

Mine is a 3 pound Machine

2 Cups Water

1/4 Cup Oil

2 Cups Semolina flour

3 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour

1/3 Cup Milk Powder, whole milk

3 TBS Diastatic Malt

3 TBS Sugar

1 TBS Salt  Bread Salt

1 1/4 tsp Instant Yeast 

Use White Bread setting.  

Place Water and Oil in the Machine Pan.

Add the two flours

Allow to mix and knead through FIRST mix and knead process of the cycle.  

Turn machine off to end cycle.  Set timer for 40 minutes (autolyse)

Add remaining ingredients.

Select  White Bread setting  Push START!

Check your machine for the cycle times.   Set timer for Last KNEAD - in my machine it shows 1:55 time remaining.

Remove dough from pan, REMOVE THE BEATERS!

Divide dough approximately in half.  Place half in an oiled plastic bag and store in refrigerator.

Reshape remaining dough so top is smooth and replace in pan.

Close the top and allow to finish final RISE AND BAKE.

At end of Bake cycle, remove pan from machine and invert on cooling rack.

If the dough does not release after a minute, turn the wing-like things on the bottom, which should allow the loaf

to release. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I've had some semolina flour in my big freezer for a year as well as some white whole wheat (King Arthur) and have used up much of my bread flour, so decided to use these as I have a recipe that makes great bread for sandwiches, for TOASTING and can be baked in the bread machine (1/2 the batch), in loaf pans or as Vienna loaves. It can be baked in baguettes but as it has a medium fine crumb, one loses the real advantage of this bread which is as a sandwich bread.

Semolina Bread for Bread Machine  

Mine is a 3 pound Machine

2 Cups Water

1/4 Cup Oil

2 Cups Semolina flour

3 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour

1/3 Cup Milk Powder, whole milk

3 TBS Diastatic Malt

3 TBS Sugar

1 TBS Salt  Bread Salt

1 1/4 tsp Instant Yeast 

Use White Bread setting.  

Place Water and Oil in the Machine Pan.

Add the two flours

Allow to mix and knead through FIRST mix and knead process of the cycle.  

Turn machine off to end cycle.  Set timer for 40 minutes (autolyse)

Add remaining ingredients.

Select  White Bread setting  Push START!

Check your machine for the cycle times.   Set timer for Last KNEAD - in my machine it shows 1:55 time remaining.

Remove dough from pan, REMOVE THE BEATERS!

Divide dough approximately in half.  Place half in an oiled plastic bag and store in refrigerator.

Reshape remaining dough so top is smooth and replace in pan.

Close the top and allow to finish final RISE AND BAKE.

At end of Bake cycle, remove pan from machine and invert on cooling rack.

If the dough does not release after a minute, turn the wing-like things on the bottom, which should allow the loaf

to release. 

This looks really good. Got a guess on how you'd substitute liquid milk for the dry milk powder and some or all of the water?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

6 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

This looks really good. Got a guess on how you'd substitute liquid milk for the dry milk powder and some or all of the water?

No, this needs the milk powder to work correctly. The amount of liquid would have to be changed and the diastatic malt left out. It is NOT a substitute for liquid milk. 

• Like 1

As a follow-up to my earlier post. This is a bit more than 1/3 the amount of dough produced that I put in an oiled plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator on Monday morning.

It rested in the bag for 2 hours and then I dropped it into the bread machine pan. 

I left it to rise in the pan for almost an hour, tested it by pushing a couple of fingers in and when it didn't bounce back, 

I turned the machine on the "BAKE" cycle that is pre-set for 1 hour.  It got a bit of "oven kick"  and baked as I expected.

This is a 3-pound machine so the pan is much deeper than on smaller machines.  It has been cooling for a hour and I have to wait

another hour before I can slice it.

HPIM3788.thumb.jpg.8aab4ab35324ec69bfcc502c169c5df3.jpg

HPIM3790.thumb.jpg.df7c6d1f7bb4f7da9d84b8d99a3e75c9.jpg

HPIM3797.thumb.jpg.b9105d3e891e955335d3063c599eb049.jpg

HPIM3798.thumb.jpg.94152f2331591e126a5d2e6acd7314b7.jpg

HPIM3799.thumb.jpg.5fc3ed3163abd6ad32f17dbf6af1db3a.jpg

HPIM3800.thumb.jpg.d2fefcd8a67bf1a0964f7cee18746225.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 10