• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

@cakewalk I thank you for your kind words.

The recipe, whilst I cannot really claim it fully, is an amalgam of various recipes I have used over the last 10 years. It iis not sourdough - pain de mie is perhaps not the quintessential sourdough bread - though it is, as it should be, a bread with/of crumb.

I will happily post the recipe, should the mods say that it is allowed...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

@ptw1953 - What a perfect loaf. Those corners!  I have to ask - what recipe did you use? 

Beautiful shape and structure indeed.   ptw1953 obviously believes in using the right tools for the job, such as a pain de mie or Pullman loaf pan. 

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/pain-de-mie-pan-pullman-loaf-pan-9?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI39bngODp4gIViMJkCh1EkgplEAQYASABEgLyAPD_BwE

eGullet member #80.

5 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Beautiful shape and structure indeed.   ptw1953 obviously believes in using the right tools for the job, such as a pain de mie or Pullman loaf pan. 

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/pain-de-mie-pan-pullman-loaf-pan-9?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI39bngODp4gIViMJkCh1EkgplEAQYASABEgLyAPD_BwE

Well spotted Margaret; not many europeans, as I am, would have spotted that. Yes, it is a 13.5" Pullman pan...

Edited by ptw1953
Spelling... (log)

Thanks @Margaret Pilgrim and @ptw1953, but I must pick your brains just a bit more. I have the Pullman loaf pan and have made more loaves than I can count (including sourdough), and they've all been good, too. But I have never had corners like those! I am wondering if there's something about the recipe, or if it's a matter of filling the pan a bit more, etc. (I've tried increasing the batter a bit in an attempt to get those corners; so far it has never worked.) 

@cakewalk you have it right in your question; it is a matter of filling the pan a bit more. Nothing more, nothing less.

I failed in my last 4 attempts at pain de mie, because I hadn't saved the changes I had made, to the recipe, in my recipes book. I had used the old 500g of flour recipe, instead of the new 750g of flour recipe. I used 750g today, et voila...

Edited by ptw1953 (log)

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

On the other hand, I have had my lid pop off while the bread was baking.

Yes ElsieD, I recall your posts on that; I shall be careful with using extra time in the oven...

Edited by ptw1953 (log)

I guess I've been a bit wimpy about increasing the flour too much, trying to avoid popping the lid. I'll be more bold. 

But in truth, take a look around the internet for photos of people's Pullman loaves. They're all nice, and some of them even have squared corners. But I haven't seen anything as sharp as yours anywhere. It's really beautiful. And now I have to go home and begin making a Pullman loaf immediately ...

5 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

I guess I've been a bit wimpy about increasing the flour too much, trying to avoid popping the lid. I'll be more bold. 

But in truth, take a look around the internet for photos of people's Pullman loaves. They're all nice, and some of them even have squared corners. But I haven't seen anything as sharp as yours anywhere. It's really beautiful. And now I have to go home and begin making a Pullman loaf immediately ...

Bon chance...

The corners are not quite as sharp as yours @ptw1953, but they're certainly sharper than I've ever got them before. My usual recipe is cobbled together from various different recipes. (I don't make a standard Pullman loaf.) Its total flour weight came to 580 grams. I increased to 750 grams and was really expecting the lid to pop off. But it held its own. I would never have thought the pan would hold that much dough, but live and learn. Thanks very much. 

Pullman2 (1).jpg

• Like 6

On 6/15/2019 at 1:13 PM, cakewalk said:

The corners are not quite as sharp as yours @ptw1953, but they're certainly sharper than I've ever got them before. My usual recipe is cobbled together from various different recipes. (I don't make a standard Pullman loaf.) Its total flour weight came to 580 grams. I increased to 750 grams and was really expecting the lid to pop off. But it held its own. I would never have thought the pan would hold that much dough, but live and learn. Thanks very much. 

Pullman2 (1).jpg

You're more than welcome @cakewalk and the loaf looks gorgeous! bon appetit...

I have been buying bread labelled Belgian Bread.  Contents are:  untreated unbleached wheat flour, filtered water, sea salt and yeast.  That's it.  The shape of the loaf is reminiscent of a loaf of rye sandwich bread, as would be used for smoked meat sandwiches. This Belgian bread makes the absolute best grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever eaten.  The outside of the bread stays crunchy until the very last bite.    I have gone through my bread books and done some googling.  All I've come up with so far is that a poolish is involved.  The crust on this bread is chewy, the crumb fairly loose, by which I mean holey.  Below is a picture of it.   Does anyone know anything about this bread?  I'd like to make it.

20190617_144403.jpg

I've been under the weather and had not been baking for a while, forgive me.

Bread06242019.png

About to go assay how it came out.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made hamburger and hot dog buns today using @Shelby's recipe.  Very easy.  I used my heavy duty KA to knead the dough for ten minutes on low.  It works really well if you have arthritic hands like mine....a bit of noise to put up with.  As you can see my hot dog buns came undone a bit and they were too small for our home made Brats.  I will try again.  And the hamburger buns are too high and not big enough for my liking.  However they should be really nice filled with egg salad.

Got the dough shaping instructions on-line.

And, of course, I forgot to take a picture of that fat Bratwurst perched atop the dog bun. 😊

DSC03095.thumb.jpg.0a186df2a1f3b1e0e1007d67b2e8f3aa.jpgDSC03095.thumb.jpg.0a186df2a1f3b1e0e1007d67b2e8f3aa.jpg

DSC03094.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

It was:

1-cup water
2-tbsp. butter
1-egg
3 1/4-cups flour
1/4-cup sugar
1-tsp salt
1-tbsp. instant yeast

I did not weigh anything.  The dough seemed a little dry so I used my water spritzer to moisten it...I have no idea how much I used by I probably spritzed it 10 to 15 times.

Sorry I have no more details.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, ptw1953 said:

Pain de mie

Wow, that looks perfect to me.

1923117798_June26th2019.thumb.jpg.c9c9439aa4157bd7b25bc533116c1aec.jpg

Just out of the oven.

Four baguettes and one little bun from the other half of the dough that I hand-mixed up yesterday.

Half for the pizzas and half for baguettes.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5

I have a question about refrigerating bigas and poolish.  I am making focaccia tomorrow and prepared my poolish tonight  and it is in the fridge overnight .  I have also made bread using biga which stayed on the counter overnight, not in the fridge.  Why are they sometimes refrigerated and sometimes not?

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I have a question about refrigerating bigas and poolish.  I am making focaccia tomorrow and prepared my poolish tonight  and it is in the fridge overnight .  I have also made bread using biga which stayed on the counter overnight, not in the fridge.  Why are they sometimes refrigerated and sometimes not?

Not into bigamy myself but I ripen poolish at room temperature.  If you find you need to refrigerate your poolish you may be using too much yeast.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou