• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Some days I wish I had a larger butcher block*

Bread02112019.png

For a stand mixer Hamelman calls for 900-1000 revolutions.  This was 30 seconds on speed 1 to stir and 3 and one half minutes on speed 4, 968 revolutions total.

*Edit:  I do of course, just not end grain walnut.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I used a bit of my new starter to make what could be called a mini boule, total weight 250 gm following @Ann_T 's notes.  I made the biga, let it sit overnight, and the next day added flour, water, salt and a tiny pinch of yeast.  After mixing, I did the stretch and fold four times, and let it rise until double.  This took three hours which surprised me.  I deflated it, formed a ball and placed it in a banneton which I had coated with rice flour.  I baked it in the CSO at 350, bread setting for 1/2 hour.   At that point it was baked but a bit on the pale side so I gave it 5 minutes on convection setting and it was perfect.   I did forget to slash the dough before I put it in the oven.  Made a sandwich with a quarter of it for my supper and oh, my, is it good.  I have refreshed the starter with rye flour rather than white as I like the flavour it gives the bread.

20190212_191038.jpg

20190212_191132.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 6

@ElsieD, Your loaf turned out great.   How long did your round proof before baking?  

I use to spin off a white starter, but I'm not doing that any more.  There is so little of the rye starter in the biga/preferment, that you really can't taste the rye, just the more developed flavour it contributes.   And I think that the

rye starter has more strength.  

@Ann_T  thank you.  I did not time the second rise !but I think it was about an hour and a half.  The first rise though, took about three hours.  I've never had the first rise take that long, is that normal?  Mind you, with the weather yesterday, it's not like I was going anywhere.  My kitchen temp is around 23 C.

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Ann_T  thank you.  I did not time the second rise !but I think it was about an hour and a half.  The first rise though, took about three hours.  I've never had the first rise take that long, is that normal?  Mind you, with the weather yesterday, it's not like I was going anywhere.  My kitchen temp is around 23 C.

Both of those times are normal.  Especially since you were using your starter after just the second stage.    

Even when I make my regular dough using just 4 to 5 g of yeast, it will often be a slow rise.     I'm okay with a slower rise.  Better flavour and crumb. 

15 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Both of those times are normal.  Especially since you were using your starter after just the second stage.    

Even when I make my regular dough using just 4 to 5 g of yeast, it will often be a slow rise.     I'm okay with a slower rise.  Better flavour and crumb. 

That's good to know.  Thank you.

Today I made a couple of small baguettes.  I made a biga using rye sourdough starter and left it out overnight and made the dough up this morning.  I don't have much of a slash in the loaves because I keep holding back when I go to make those cuts for fear of the dough collapsing.  I should have pulled them a few minutes before I did as they got a bit too dark.  I'm pretty happy with how they turned out and we happily scarfed them down with our dinner tonight.

20190215_190333.jpg

20190215_193933.jpg

• Like 12

On 2/13/2019 at 5:07 PM, lindag said:

No, did not this time.  I may use some rye to feed going forward.

That rye starter is amazing, dare I say foolproof.  Mine is going gangbusters and us now in the fridge.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That rye starter is amazing, dare I say foolproof.  Mine is going gangbusters and us now in the fridge.

Okay, you've convinced me.  I will definitely make that happen when I use my starter next time.  Right now my bread products have filled up my freezers.

• Like 2

What do you all use to slash your dough prior to baking?  I have been using a serrated  bread knife sprayed with cooking oil.  I approach this rather gingerly for fear my dough will collapse.  Any advice?

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What do you all use to slash your dough prior to baking?  I have been using a serrated  bread knife sprayed with cooking oil.  I approach this rather gingerly for fear my dough will collapse.  Any advice?

Serrated knife but no pan spray,

On 2/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, ElsieD said:

Today I made a couple of small baguettes.  I made a biga using rye sourdough starter and left it out overnight and made the dough up this morning.  I don't have much of a slash in the loaves because I keep holding back when I go to make those cuts for fear of the dough collapsing.  I should have pulled them a few minutes before I did as they got a bit too dark.  I'm pretty happy with how they turned out and we happily scarfed them down with our dinner tonight.

20190215_190333.jpg

20190215_193933.jpg

@ElsieD, great bake.  Look at that crumb. Nice and holey.  And nothing wrong with your slashing either.   I use a razor blade for scoring. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 2