• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Tonight's baking:

Bread01182019.png

Since I found the secret to mixing:  namely to mix on high enough speed to fully engage the dough hook, I have been achieving beautiful results.  This was 4 minutes on KitchenAid speed 6.

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's snowing like a sonofagun, and is going to 20 tonight (that's COLD down here, y'all!). I suspect, as we are incapable of dealing with snow here, there will be no church. Be assured I will be baking tomorrow.

Am having pot roast tonight, which will be recycled into shredded beef with brown gravy tomorrow to go over mashed potatoes. Thinking I'll make a loaf of plain white sandwich bread to make open faced hot roast beef sandwiches. With green peas on the side. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

57 minutes ago, kayb said:

Thinking I'll make a loaf of plain white sandwich bread to make open faced hot roast beef sandwiches. With green peas on the side. 

I would promise to be there in time for dinner but given the snow here and temperatures in the very minuses and the snow there it doesn’t seem very likely that I’ll make it in time.  Darn. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I would promise to be there in time for dinner but given the snow here and temperatures in the very minuses and the snow there it doesn’t seem very likely that I’ll make it in time.  Darn. 

I shall make it expressly for you, should you ever decide to venture south for the winter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

Tonight's result:

Bread01222019.png

Rather reminds me of last night's eclipse.

As an experiment I increased my hydration* by about 1.5% to match Modernist Bread's French Lean Bread.  I found that the KitchenAid dough hook would then engage at speed 4 rather than having to use speed 6.  This batch was mixed 5 minutes on speed 4.  No idea yet what I shall find inside!

*actually the dough's hydration.  My hydration is being increased by rum and peanuts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My hydration is being increased by rum and peanuts.

Don’t they cancel each other out?

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sometime last year, I bought a little "baby" Pullman pan (only about 7 1/2 inches long, and so an excellent size for me) when I caught it on sale at Amazon. Yesterday, I decided to use it. I used the recipe from Rose Levy Berenbaum's Bread Bible.

286669316_paindemie.png.5bb8e506c0ad21edb8a28204e26dd305.png

I am VERY pleased with the way it turned out. Great, soft crumb. Good, rich flavor. (I may have undersalted just a tad.) I was somewhat surprised it took 50 minutess at 425 to bake, but it was perfect at that time/temp.

1471085107_pdmsliced.png.8e276c9c68de5676f2ea941b1f1d1366.png

And it was marvelous for a childhood throwback treat for breakfast this morning: Cinnamon toast, sans cinnamon. Just butter and sugar.

toast.png.c27d703d4cd1ee936e15939bdaf64e85.png

I see a Croque Madame in my immediate future.

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

19 minutes ago, Franci said:

Oh, wow, was missing @Ann_T beautiful bread! And wow, @JoNorvelleWalker huge, huge improvement to your baking! 

@kayb and @Anna N, @ElsieD 🤗

We've missed you and your baking!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, guys! I also missed you very much. 

I am trying to make pizza once a week for the kids. I always use the Confraternita della pizza calculator for it. I normally use an higher % hydration but didn’t realize I put in the wrong number and well today it’s just a 65%

5FD21D4A-9AF9-407F-BE7D-C335A686C35F.jpeg

6049D9D0-EF42-44F0-AB5A-DA1B3F833A25.jpeg

B753B839-87EC-44C6-AB17-2EB038AEF9AF.jpeg

9885559D-4CBE-4697-B27A-55DAB390943A.jpeg

8161CD39-F418-4A4C-8B05-FD13CCC388BB.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

17 hours ago, Franci said:

I am trying to make pizza once a week for the kids...

5FD21D4A-9AF9-407F-BE7D-C335A686C35F.jpeg

B753B839-87EC-44C6-AB17-2EB038AEF9AF.jpeg

The pizza sauce looks wonderful. Do you make your own? Or is there a store brand your prefer? Welcome back!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver  On pizza sauce. when I was working full time and commuting and had a small child I developed a quick pizza sauce. Nothin but tomato paste, water, garlic powder and Mexican oregano. It is a "pre concentrated" tomato impact. Sometimes a few drops of balsamic to level out the sweetness. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

The pizza sauce looks wonderful. Do you make your own? Or is there a store brand your prefer? Welcome back!

@Toliver this is just passata with very little salt and olive oil, I don’t like garlic that much. If I have a choice,  Mutti passata with basil it’s perfect for me on pizza. In Wholefoods in Brooklyn I was able to find it, here I’ve not nbeen able to locate it yet, the second best option I found it here it’s called Poma Rosa, it’s ok. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Franci said:

@Toliver this is just passata with very little salt and olive oil, I don’t like garlic that much. If I have a choice,  Mutti passata with basil it’s perfect for me on pizza. In Wholefoods in Brooklyn I was able to find it, here I’ve not nbeen able to locate it yet, the second best option I found it here it’s called Poma Rosa, it’s ok. 

FRANCI!!!!

How are you????  Missed you so much :)  Are you settled in your new home now?

Lovely pizza.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heidih said:

@Toliver  On pizza sauce. when I was working full time and commuting and had a small child I developed a quick pizza sauce. Nothin but tomato paste, water, garlic powder and Mexican oregano. It is a "pre concentrated" tomato impact. Sometimes a few drops of balsamic to level out the sweetness. 

13 minutes ago, Franci said:

Thank you both! I appreciate it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Welcome back Franci!!

I have missed your contributions too.

lovely looking pie to boot!

i would also have add @sartoric to the welcome wagon...posting more often recently.

both of you add so much to our forum.

Awww, thanks Okanagancook. 

Franci, lovely to hear from you again. Now that you are settled, I am calling for your mojo to return :)

Meanwhile, more pizzas please !

• Like 1