• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I think our many gifted bread makers might be interested in this.

14,000-Year-Old Piece Of Bread Rewrites The History Of Baking And Farming

Stale news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Stale news.

I thought something similar. I think some of the bread I find in my supermarket is way older than this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Bäco breads, modified from Josef Centeno's cookbook, Bäco

IMG_8670.thumb.jpg.d036b2fe3b0dcf2a60a1bc4a5237d448.jpg

I used half bread flour and half Sonora Red Fife whole wheat and kneaded the dough in my Kitchen Aid mixer.  Not as fluffy as the lovely breads that @Anna N shared in this post last year, but they're still nice. 

I bought the book for that recipe and then I never made it.  I sort of forgot about it actually.  Any pointers or suggestions?

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I bought the book for that recipe and then I never made it.  I sort of forgot about it actually.  Any pointers or suggestions?

My ovals were a little larger than the specified 8" x 4", but not much.  I tried an 8" round and it was too thin to puff up very much so I believe the specified size is good.  

I started rolling them on a lightly floured surface but found they rolled out just fine without added flour.

I used a 10" cast iron skillet with avocado oil and found that the right temp to give a cook time of 1 min/side was just below the smoke point.  I started with a little less than 1T of oil but didn't need to add any more.  Since it was a well seasoned pan and there's lots of ghee in the dough, I may not have needed any oil at all.

I cooked all 10 breads. I put the extra breads in the freezer and am assuming they'll reheat well in the CSO.  

Since I didn't follow the recipe, @Anna N may have more relevant suggestions. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Since I didn't follow the recipe, @Anna N may have more relevant suggestions. 

I have nothing to add to my comments in the link above. I never did try cooking the I froze. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

This is why I have a bread machine - for those nights when you realize you are out of plain white bread and you need some in the morning.  Put it on the night before using the delay timer and voilà!  A fresh baked loaf ready and waiting for you when you get up.

20180820_091938.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Spell check used reading instead of ready. Bread does not read. (log)
  • Like 10

13 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Now I want to see the resulting egg salad sandwiches, too !

Shall try to remember - made one this am but it’s in the rugrat’s lunch 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2018 at 8:09 PM, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2039.thumb.jpg.aac4090b406cd3814d942543013a18e4.jpg

Shokupan made in pullman pan. Perfect for egg salad sandwiches!

Can you point me to the recipe you use? Or if you can't, the amount of flour you use, and maybe I can figure it out from there?  I'd like to make this using a Pullman pan.  Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Can you point me to the recipe you use? Or if you can't, the amount of flour you use, and maybe I can figure it out from there?  I'd like to make this using a Pullman pan.  Thank you.

This one but I used the Thermomix to mix and I made the tangzhong in the microwave. This makes around 600 grams of dough - next time I'd scale it to 800 grams for the pullman pan and just use the one egg.

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

This one but I used the Thermomix to mix and I made the tangzhong in the microwave. This makes around 600 grams of dough - next time I'd scale it to 800 grams for the pullman pan and just use the one egg.

Thank you.  Funnily enough, when I was looking for a recipe, I came across the one you linked to, so will make that one.  If scaled to 800 grams would that be for the 13" pullman?  Would 600 grams work for the 9" pullman?

Just now, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  Funnily enough, when I was looking for a recipe, I came across the one you linked to, so will make that one.  If scaled to 800 grams would that be for the 13" pullman?  Would 600 grams work for the 9" pullman?

No 800 grams for the small one - I'd do a double recipe 1200 grams for the big one.

Here is the shokupan which I just took out of the oven.  I had a bit over 800 grams of dough.  I let the dough rise about 1 inch from the top, put the greased lid on it and stuck it in the oven.  Baked for 25 minutes then tried to take the lid off.  Tried, tried, and tried again.  Wouldn't budge.  Called in the heavy artillery a.k.a. John who eventually managed to wrest it out of the pan .  Baked it a further 10 minutes.  Did I let it rise too much before I put it in the oven?

20180902_181940.jpg

22 minutes ago, lindag said:

No, I think there was just a bit too much dough.

Yeah.  I think you’re right. The 800g comes from Modernist Bread for that size of Pullman pan.   Always wondered about that figure.  It seems that this was at odds with other sources including King Arthur flour.   Fresh Loaf has another take on it here.  

In the comments following the recipe linked to above are suggestions as to adaptations for using a Pullman pan.  They don’t include any adjustments to the recipe but rather to the baking time and temperature. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@lindag and @Anna N  Thank you.  The bread is good and I have just sliced it up and put it in the freezer.  I really like the pullman shaped loaves so will try the recipe again as written and see what happens.

You might want to read the comments following the recipe. Apparently the mother of the blogger does make it in a Pullman pan and has some advice. 

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  It would appear that the shokupan recipe is fine for the  9" pullman as the dough comes to about 665 grams which is darn close to a pound and a half.  I also read all the comments on the site and did read the one related to the Pullman.  It says to let the dough rise in the pan to 80% height (doesn't say which height, I assume the pan) then bake at 445F for 18 minutes with the lid on.  Then it says to take the lid off, turn the oven off and leave it in the oven for another 15 minutes.  The baking procedure looks a bit strange, but what do I know?  I'll give it a shot the next time I need white bread and see what happens.  Thanks again for the links and the suggestion to read the comments.  Both were helpful.

I made the shokupan again tonight with the ingredients as listed in the above-linked recipe.  I followed the directions as per my post above.  When I went to remove the lid after 18 minutes of baking time, the lid had already popped off.  I did not know that lids popped off pullman pans, but now I do.  I cheated and made the dough in my breadmaker.  This is how it turned out.  We are waiting for it to cool enough to sample.

20180904_205547.jpg

• Like 3

I'm aging some bananas for the KAF  whole grain banana bread.  I think they'll be ready tomorrow.

This is actually the KAF recipe of the year.  I'm looking forward to my first effort.

Not sure if this belongs here, in the CSO thread or in "I will never again..."

Last night I baked three loves of MB lean French dough.  I had some of the first loaf for dinner with chicken cacciatore.  This morning I heated the remaining three quarters or so to refresh it for my sandwiches to take to work.  I managed to carbonize it.  Not just blacken it.  With the half inch steel still in the oven plus the height of the tray and rack I suspect the bread was touching the top heating elements.